Getting a will

Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:16 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting a will

The inheritance tax thread has given me some food for thought.

My first and only will was drawn up when I was 23 with my assets being divided between my then partner and some family members. I have since married and acquired further assets but have not drawn up a new will. Will my assets automatically go to my husband? Now that I live in the UAE (but still have assets in the UK), can I have a will drawn up here which will protect any assets here and in the UK AND be properly recognised in the UK courts of law?

With regards to my original will, I have asked my former solicitor to destroy it, but I think the firm has dissolved. No one else has a copy of that will. Is it also correct that once you marry that all former wills become null and void?

Last edited by Miss Eck; Apr 6th 2007 at 9:20 am. Reason: Typos!!
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

expatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant future
Default Re: Getting a will

I am firm believer in getting the advice of a suitably qualified and experienced UK based solicitor. The fact that you have assets in the UK even though you are non resident means that your country of domicile is still the UK (the matter of domicle is the overiding factor here and its relevence cannot be overstated enough) . The value of your estate for IHT purposes is the sum total of your worldwide assets !, thus including the UK and abroad. The fact that you do have a will in existence even though it is obviously out of date may superficially complicate matters- though I suspect it may be irelevent now. I think that you need to get in contact with a UK solicitor as soon as feasible to get matters moving. A good will can cost from between £300 to £2,000 depending upon requirements etc. Good luck.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:44 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! That answers my questions. Will get my skates on.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:28 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Thanks! That answers my questions. Will get my skates on.

Miss Eck, the will that you made sometime ago is void. A divorce invalidates a will.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:35 pm
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by Meow
Miss Eck, the will that you made sometime ago is void. A divorce invalidates a will.
I wasn't married to that guy (thank goodness ) but have since married - I think my marriage invalidates any former will anyway - is that correct?
Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:39 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't married to that guy (thank goodness ) but have since married - I think my marriage invalidates any former will anyway - is that correct?

Yes, that's right.

This is a short, but helful checklist, but please use a UK solicitor

http://www.ipw.org.uk/professional/d...DENRULESPR.pdf
Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:51 pm
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by Meow
Yes, that's right.

This is a short, but helful checklist, but please use a UK solicitor

http://www.ipw.org.uk/professional/d...DENRULESPR.pdf
Cheers. Waiting for a well recommended guy to reply to my email once he is back from hols. He is a British guy based here so can advise on stuff here and in the UK.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 2:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You need a will for each country that you have assets in because laws of that country govern the stuff and all that.

And marriage will void any previous will unless you had a stipulation for marriage...but any new will you have written will void any previous will written....last will and testament and all that gubins.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 2:57 pm
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by Bob
You need a will for each country that you have assets in because laws of that country govern the stuff and all that.

And marriage will void any previous will unless you had a stipulation for marriage...but any new will you have written will void any previous will written....last will and testament and all that gubins.
That's cool .. that's what I thought.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

expatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant future

A will for each country each fine, and is a must in some situations e.g. were someone say works abroad and is thus non resident in the UK for tax purposes, and has a property in Spain (Spanish law really requires you to have a will in that situation, to ensure that the property is passed down through the family (if applicable) to minimise or avoid spanish inheritance tax). The fact that your country of domicile is in the UK really means that this is the most important location to have your will up to date.
Under no cirumstances deal with anyone but a solicitor who has a sound understanding of uptodate legislation. Even then make a point of reviewing your will every couple of years as legislation does move on. As a sound example I am currently dealing with some funds put in trust five years ago and the trust may as well have been written on the back of a stamp re its legal standing today.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 6:17 pm
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by expatadvisor
A will for each country each fine, and is a must in some situations e.g. were someone say works abroad and is thus non resident in the UK for tax purposes, and has a property in Spain (Spanish law really requires you to have a will in that situation, to ensure that the property is passed down through the family (if applicable) to minimise or avoid spanish inheritance tax). The fact that your country of domicile is in the UK really means that this is the most important location to have your will up to date.
Under no cirumstances deal with anyone but a solicitor who has a sound understanding of uptodate legislation. Even then make a point of reviewing your will every couple of years as legislation does move on. As a sound example I am currently dealing with some funds put in trust five years ago and the trust may as well have been written on the back of a stamp re its legal standing today.
Thanks for the advice .. looks like I gotta find another solicitor then back home.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:42 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice .. looks like I gotta find another solicitor then back home.
do a search on the other side, there is a guy who is recommended all the time who works at Jim berry and associates.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:39 pm
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
do a search on the other side, there is a guy who is recommended all the time who works at Jim berry and associates.
Thanks - I found that. I have sent him an email so will see what he says when he is back from hols.