Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

GCC money changing

GCC money changing

Old Jun 11th 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default GCC money changing

If the AED is pegged to the USD and the KWD is also pegged to the USD...

does that mean that the AED/KWD rate is pretty much fixed and that there's no difference in exchanging money between here and in Kuwait?

I'm in Kuwait this weekend but I'm staying with relatives so expenses will be minimal - only really for buying a visa on arrival... Wondering if I should:

* by currency before travelling
* carry AED cash and change there if needs be
* use local ATM

Any thoughts on what's best...?
Old Jun 11th 2007, 2:05 pm
W10

Default Re: GCC money changing

The Kuwaiti dinar isn't pegged to the dollar.

And when it was, it was pegged at a different rate because their currency and economy were stronger.

Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jvr20
If the AED is pegged to the USD and the KWD is also pegged to the USD...

does that mean that the AED/KWD rate is pretty much fixed and that there's no difference in exchanging money between here and in Kuwait?

I'm in Kuwait this weekend but I'm staying with relatives so expenses will be minimal - only really for buying a visa on arrival... Wondering if I should:

* by currency before travelling
* carry AED cash and change there if needs be
* use local ATM

Any thoughts on what's best...?
Get some money before you go - there is no ATM before the arrivals hall. The entry visa fee is around 3 KD (6 quid) and they take cash only.

Depending on the flights into KWI, be prepared to wait anywhere from 20 mins to 3 hours plus for your visa. The immigration people will want to know where you are staying so get your relatives details prior to travel.

There are plenty of ATM's in Kuwait City to get cash.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewpops
Get some money before you go - there is no ATM before the arrivals hall. The entry visa fee is around 3 KD (6 quid) and they take cash only.

Depending on the flights into KWI, be prepared to wait anywhere from 20 mins to 3 hours plus for your visa. The immigration people will want to know where you are staying so get your relatives details prior to travel.

There are plenty of ATM's in Kuwait City to get cash.

Enjoy!
I have the same question regarding taking my UAE dhs to BD (Bahrain).
I think they're fixed at around 9.75 or whatever it is but i'm wondering do banks offer better rates the more you transfer? Is it worth checking with a few banks. I'm taking a fairly decent chunk of cash over and it's worth considering.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:13 am
W10

I noticed that when I was in the US and took money out of an ATM my UAE bank charged me a rate of 3.8 to the USD.

Nice huh!!

Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:00 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
I have the same question regarding taking my UAE dhs to BD (Bahrain).
I think they're fixed at around 9.75 or whatever it is but i'm wondering do banks offer better rates the more you transfer? Is it worth checking with a few banks. I'm taking a fairly decent chunk of cash over and it's worth considering.
If a fairly decent chunk of cash is more than 5 digits I might be able to help you save on the exchange rates...

N.