Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Gay guy moving from London to Dubai

Gay guy moving from London to Dubai

Old Sep 29th 2007, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

londonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to all
Default Re: Gay guy moving from London to Dubai

Originally Posted by secretdubai
Having read through this thread, assuming Lionheart is not joking, I strongly recommend he chooses another country or region to work in.

While there are real estate positions here and *some* agents make good money, there are a fkload making fk all. As for call centre management positions, I would hazard a guess they are generally subcon jobs here (ie very low paid). I could be wrong, but I've certainly never met any western call centre people based in Dubai.

If you really want to do something different with your life, I would recommend doing a TESL/EFL/CELTA (or self-studying for one, then claiming you have one) then teaching English overseas somewhere. Try http://www.eslcafe.com/ for job listings and information. Failing that, if you haven't yet backpacked round Australia, do that while you still can (cut off is 30 for the "backpacking visa"). It will transform your life, and you could strike it lucky and fall into a job where an employer might be prepared to sponsor you for a permanent visa.

I just don't think Dubai at this stage is going to be your kind of place. I know there is an impression overseas that it is a hugely exciting, clubbing and nightlife kind of place, but trust me: it is no Ibiza.

Compared to Sharjah it is Ibiza; compared to London it is Swindon.

And seriously speaking, the fact that you chose the username "gay_guy" and wrote this thread about finding gay housemates indicates that being gay is a huge part of your identity and lifestyle. Nothing wrong with that. But Dubai is not currently a good choice for people really into the gay lifestyle, you would find a lot lacking here and be disappointed.
Thank you for the advice. I have not been back packing as yet, but some how it's not my cup of tea... Well teaching could be, and i might be very interested in that. I will look into that. Thank you again for all your help
Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:32 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

You really think dubai is any different?

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates
12/1/2005

- More than two dozen gay Arab men — arrested at what police called a mass homosexual wedding — could face government-ordered hormone treatments, five years in jail and a lashing, authorities said Saturday.

The Interior Ministry said police raided a hotel chalet earlier this month and arrested 22 men from the Emirates as they celebrated the wedding ceremony, one of a string of recent group arrests of homosexuals here.

The men are likely to be tried under Muslim law on charges related to adultery and prostitution, said Interior Ministry spokesman Issam Azouri.

Outward homosexual behavior is banned in the United Arab Emirates, and the gay group wedding has alarmed leaders of this once-isolated Muslim country as it grapples with a sweeping influx of Western residents and culture.

The Arabian peninsula, nevertheless, has a long tradition of openly homosexual wedding singers and dancers.

“Lately people have been talking about (homosexuality), but it has been here for a long time,” said Nadia Buhannad, a Dubai psychologist. “It becomes shocking only when it is your own son.”

Raid on wedding party
Police acting on a tip raided the hotel in Ghantout, a desert region on the Dubai-Abu Dhabi highway, and found a dozen men dressed as female brides and a dozen others in male Arab dress, apparently preparing for a ceremony that would join them as husbands and wives, Azouri said.

“It was a real party with balloons and champagne,” he said.

The 26 men arrested include those from the Emirates as well as an Indian disc jockey and three men from neighboring Arab states. One of the arrested was to perform the wedding ceremony. Azouri said some of the group told police they worked as prostitutes. Others had been arrested before.

Last year, police made mass arrests at an apparent gay wedding in the conservative emirate of Sharjah and at the Khor Fakkan beach resort in Fujairah emirate, a police official said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the press.

Two dozen men arrested in Sharjah were given symbolic lashings — meant to humiliate, not inflict pain — and then released from jail, said prominent Emirati lawyer Abdul Hamid al-Kumaiti.

“There are so many others like these guys,” al-Kumaiti said. “The police and rulers need to do more than just lash them and let them go.”

Azouri described the arrests in Ghantout as a “delicate” matter made public for the first time — more than a week after the event — because the country’s tribal leadership wants to demonstrate it will not tolerate open homosexuality.

Officials take hard line
On Friday, as newspapers reported the arrests, the minister of justice and Islamic affairs, Mohammed bin Nukhaira Al Dhahiri, called on parents to be vigilant for “deviant” behavior in their children.

“There will be no room for homosexual ... acts in the UAE,” Al Dhahiri was quoted as saying in the Dubai-based Khaleej Times newspaper.

The arrested men have been questioned by police and were undergoing psychological evaluations Saturday. Azouri said the Interior Ministry’s department of social support would try to direct the men away from homosexual behavior — using methods including male hormone treatments, if the men are found to be deficient.

“Because they’ve put society at risk they will be given the necessary treatment, from male hormone injections to psychological therapies,” he said. “It wasn’t just a homosexual act. Now we’re dealing with a kind of marriage. There was a ritual involved.”

Foreigners arrested will be deported after serving any sentences imposed in court, he said.

Azouri said government psychologists were grappling to learn the causes behind an apparent increase in homosexual behavior in the Emirates. The booming economy has lured hundreds of thousands of Western residents and millions of tourists. Azouri said authorities want to be seen to be taking action at a time when complaints of gay behavior were emerging from the country’s schools and myriad shopping malls.

Most cases of homosexual behavior are taboo and violate Emirati laws based on Islamic sharia. Azouri suggested that other countries with laws based on religion, including Christianity and Judaism, would also ban gay behavior and marriage.

“It’s not about freedom of opinion, it’s about respecting religion which forbids this type of behavior,” he said.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

londonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TA5
You really think dubai is any different?

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates
12/1/2005

- More than two dozen gay Arab men — arrested at what police called a mass homosexual wedding — could face government-ordered hormone treatments, five years in jail and a lashing, authorities said Saturday.

The Interior Ministry said police raided a hotel chalet earlier this month and arrested 22 men from the Emirates as they celebrated the wedding ceremony, one of a string of recent group arrests of homosexuals here.

The men are likely to be tried under Muslim law on charges related to adultery and prostitution, said Interior Ministry spokesman Issam Azouri.

Outward homosexual behavior is banned in the United Arab Emirates, and the gay group wedding has alarmed leaders of this once-isolated Muslim country as it grapples with a sweeping influx of Western residents and culture.

The Arabian peninsula, nevertheless, has a long tradition of openly homosexual wedding singers and dancers.

“Lately people have been talking about (homosexuality), but it has been here for a long time,” said Nadia Buhannad, a Dubai psychologist. “It becomes shocking only when it is your own son.”

Raid on wedding party
Police acting on a tip raided the hotel in Ghantout, a desert region on the Dubai-Abu Dhabi highway, and found a dozen men dressed as female brides and a dozen others in male Arab dress, apparently preparing for a ceremony that would join them as husbands and wives, Azouri said.

“It was a real party with balloons and champagne,” he said.

The 26 men arrested include those from the Emirates as well as an Indian disc jockey and three men from neighboring Arab states. One of the arrested was to perform the wedding ceremony. Azouri said some of the group told police they worked as prostitutes. Others had been arrested before.

Last year, police made mass arrests at an apparent gay wedding in the conservative emirate of Sharjah and at the Khor Fakkan beach resort in Fujairah emirate, a police official said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the press.

Two dozen men arrested in Sharjah were given symbolic lashings — meant to humiliate, not inflict pain — and then released from jail, said prominent Emirati lawyer Abdul Hamid al-Kumaiti.

“There are so many others like these guys,” al-Kumaiti said. “The police and rulers need to do more than just lash them and let them go.”

Azouri described the arrests in Ghantout as a “delicate” matter made public for the first time — more than a week after the event — because the country’s tribal leadership wants to demonstrate it will not tolerate open homosexuality.

Officials take hard line
On Friday, as newspapers reported the arrests, the minister of justice and Islamic affairs, Mohammed bin Nukhaira Al Dhahiri, called on parents to be vigilant for “deviant” behavior in their children.

“There will be no room for homosexual ... acts in the UAE,” Al Dhahiri was quoted as saying in the Dubai-based Khaleej Times newspaper.

The arrested men have been questioned by police and were undergoing psychological evaluations Saturday. Azouri said the Interior Ministry’s department of social support would try to direct the men away from homosexual behavior — using methods including male hormone treatments, if the men are found to be deficient.

“Because they’ve put society at risk they will be given the necessary treatment, from male hormone injections to psychological therapies,” he said. “It wasn’t just a homosexual act. Now we’re dealing with a kind of marriage. There was a ritual involved.”

Foreigners arrested will be deported after serving any sentences imposed in court, he said.

Azouri said government psychologists were grappling to learn the causes behind an apparent increase in homosexual behavior in the Emirates. The booming economy has lured hundreds of thousands of Western residents and millions of tourists. Azouri said authorities want to be seen to be taking action at a time when complaints of gay behavior were emerging from the country’s schools and myriad shopping malls.

Most cases of homosexual behavior are taboo and violate Emirati laws based on Islamic sharia. Azouri suggested that other countries with laws based on religion, including Christianity and Judaism, would also ban gay behavior and marriage.

“It’s not about freedom of opinion, it’s about respecting religion which forbids this type of behavior,” he said.

Well that is something... God help me!!! I'm just speechless after reading this. Yes I agree Gays do sometimes become too much and they want it all, but to do this to them... UAE should know better, They drink, they go with women that they are not married to, they gamble, which are all sins in the eyes of Allah, How can they do all this and then say ban Gay behavior. If it's a sin then let God deal with us not the world.

Thanks anyway.... I'm thinking hard.......
Old Sep 30th 2007, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonguy28
Well that is something... God help me!!! I'm just speechless after reading this. Yes I agree Gays do sometimes become too much and they want it all, but to do this to them... UAE should know better, They drink, they go with women that they are not married to, they gamble, which are all sins in the eyes of Allah, How can they do all this and then say ban Gay behavior. If it's a sin then let God deal with us not the world.

The Arabs are not the only ones to use religious texts selectively to justify their own bigoted attitudes.

The Christian fundamentalists in the USA, for example, routinely point to one verse in the Bible but seemingly ignore the equally forthright bans in the Bible on usury, violence etc (yes I know there are contradicions - eye/eye, tooth/tooth, left hand offend thee... vs turn the other cheek)
Old Sep 30th 2007, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
The Arabs are not the only ones to use religious texts selectively to justify their own bigoted attitudes.

The Christian fundamentalists in the USA, for example, routinely point to one verse in the Bible but seemingly ignore the equally forthright bans in the Bible on usury, violence etc (yes I know there are contradicions - eye/eye, tooth/tooth, left hand offend thee... vs turn the other cheek)
Follow the bouncin' ball:

imagine there's no heaven....
Old Sep 30th 2007, 5:10 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

In practice as a westerner in Dubai (rather than some of the other emirates) you'd probably not find any problem unless you go out looking for it. It is quite a private country so what people do in private generally stays there unless they make a point of publicising it. The authorities won't actively go out looking to 'out' you, as long as you keep yourself to yourself.

Locals and muslims are treated differently in many respects, for example it's illegal for muslims to consume alcohol (but of course if you go to any bar you'll see loads of muslims and even locals in their national dress knocking back pints!). So there is definitely a different moral standard applied for locals and muslims than for westerners, which goes someway to explain the fairly medieval approach in the news article.

They're also quite aware of the bad PR that would result from such acts of moral enforcement on westerners, so they'd rather people just keep their 'sins' in private and they can pretend it doesn't happen and do nothing. Everyone wins.

Dubai is probably not the worst country in the world as far as homophobia goes, I think there are much stronger cultural hatred against gays in certain african countries, the Caribbean and even eastern europe. I've generally found Dubai to be fairly tolerant and respecting of your privacy.

If you are interested in spending some time overseas teaching, I can highly recommend Taipei. I spent a couple of years there in the mid 90s. It's fairly gay-friendly too from what I could see, I even got taken to a gay club one night I got the impression that there was very little in the way of cultural objections to it in the way there is in most muslim and even christian countries.

From a cultural point of view, it's also possible to get to know locals and hang around with them whereas I find there is a cultural barrier that makes this harder in the UAE.

Hope it works out for you.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:39 am
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for the advice. I have not been back packing as yet, but some how it's not my cup of tea... Well teaching could be, and i might be very interested in that. I will look into that. Thank you again for all your help
Backpacking never really was my cup of tea either, but the backpacking visa is effectively a work visa for Australia. You are supposed to not stay in a job for more than three months, but many people get round it however, and just live in Sydney/Melbourne for months on end.

The gay scene is wonderful in Sydney (at least so I gathered from gay friends) and there is just so much to do there generally. It's a very easy expat option because it's English language, you get proper human rights etc etc, but the weather is far better than the UK and there are heaps of interesting things to do and see should you want to.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Gay guy moving from London to Dubai

Originally Posted by captainflack
In practice as a westerner in Dubai (rather than some of the other emirates) you'd probably not find any problem unless you go out looking for it. It is quite a private country so what people do in private generally stays there unless they make a point of publicising it. The authorities won't actively go out looking to 'out' you, as long as you keep yourself to yourself.

Locals and muslims are treated differently in many respects, for example it's illegal for muslims to consume alcohol (but of course if you go to any bar you'll see loads of muslims and even locals in their national dress knocking back pints!). So there is definitely a different moral standard applied for locals and muslims than for westerners, which goes someway to explain the fairly medieval approach in the news article.

They're also quite aware of the bad PR that would result from such acts of moral enforcement on westerners, so they'd rather people just keep their 'sins' in private and they can pretend it doesn't happen and do nothing. Everyone wins.

Dubai is probably not the worst country in the world as far as homophobia goes, I think there are much stronger cultural hatred against gays in certain african countries, the Caribbean and even eastern europe. I've generally found Dubai to be fairly tolerant and respecting of your privacy.

If you are interested in spending some time overseas teaching, I can highly recommend Taipei. I spent a couple of years there in the mid 90s. It's fairly gay-friendly too from what I could see, I even got taken to a gay club one night I got the impression that there was very little in the way of cultural objections to it in the way there is in most muslim and even christian countries.

From a cultural point of view, it's also possible to get to know locals and hang around with them whereas I find there is a cultural barrier that makes this harder in the UAE.

Hope it works out for you.
Thanks you. It's nice reading your side of it.. it just made me feel better. I'm not a bouncying queeny gay guy. I'm more a man and unless i tell anyone i'm gay no one will ever know.

Thanks again... here's hoping for the best. I do want to come, it's gone cold in london and i don't want to work here anymore.... thanks again
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

If you're gay i dont advise you to go to the middle east. Fatal error.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:15 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maranelloman
oh come on, it's not that bad...
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MataHari
oh come on, it's not that bad...
Im thinking about it from both sides. The religion there does not tolerate gays, and I dont want him to think it would be accepted. On the other side I dont agree with being gay and it is forbidden in Islam, so I wouldnt want someone who is to go to a muslim country.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

i don't agree...there are loads of gay guys who live in dubai and have no issues...

MM, xx
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:43 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Im thinking about it from both sides. The religion there does not tolerate gays, and I dont want him to think it would be accepted. On the other side I dont agree with being gay and it is forbidden in Islam, so I wouldnt want someone who is to go to a muslim country.
you don't agree with being gay...oh well, that is a whole new discussion isn't it.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MataHari
you don't agree with being gay...oh well, that is a whole new discussion isn't it.
Indeed, but being a muslim country I think it kinda applies.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Could be worse, as I said the other day......... this just in from Reuters.........

14:12 02Oct07 RTRS-FACTBOX-Situation for homosexuals in Iran
Oct 2 (Reuters) - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said
in New York last week that there were no gays in the Islamic
Republic.
"In Iran we don't have homosexuals like in your country," he
said in response to a question at Columbia University on Sept.
24. "In Iran we don't have this phenomenon."
Some facts about homosexuals and legislation in Iran:

* Islamic law prescribes the death penalty for adults
committing homosexual acts, even though in practice gays are
normally tolerated by the authorities.
* Iranian officials rarely discuss homosexuality openly
except as a sign of decadence in the West.
* Lavat (sexual intercourse between males) is punishable by
execution. Tafkhiz (non-penetrative 'foreplay' between men) is
punishable by 100 lashes for each partner.
* Human Rights Watch (HRW) said in May that the last person
known "with reasonable certainty" to have been sentenced to
execution in Iran for consensual homosexual conduct was in 2005.
But it did not know if the sentence had been carried out.
* Iran's penal code says sodomy is proven if the accused man
confesses four times to the act or if four "righteous men"
testify that they have witnessed it. But the HRW also said the
judge can circumvent these strict requirements.
(Sources: Reuters, Human Rights Watch)
((Editing by Stephen Weeks; Tehran newsroom, tel: +98 21 88 20
8771, [email protected]))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.