Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Funds on arrival for first month HELP

Funds on arrival for first month HELP

Old Oct 28th 2013, 3:48 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funds on arrival for first month HELP

Originally Posted by Pongo
I am truly amazed by the amount of people who are willing to relocate to a new country without having the financial means to support themselves.
Quite possibly why they need a (new) job. Its ok for seasoned hands, but if you're young and have been job hunting for some time its not so surprising that he'll arrive with no funds.

To the OP: at least your employer has offered you something, and if all you can do in the first month is work, eat and sleep then so be it. But the visa cost is a little unusual--have they asked you to pay for anything else?
Old Oct 28th 2013, 4:08 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Quite possibly why they need a (new) job. Its ok for seasoned hands, but if you're young and have been job hunting for some time its not so surprising that he'll arrive with no funds.

To the OP: at least your employer has offered you something, and if all you can do in the first month is work, eat and sleep then so be it. But the visa cost is a little unusual--have they asked you to pay for anything else?
Its not the OP that has to pay for a Visa. That is the Ecco character.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 5:34 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Its not the OP that has to pay for a Visa. That is the Ecco character.
Right you are.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

DaveSand is an unknown quantity at this point

Pleased I never paid for my Saudi Aramco medical and visa that would have been £620 down the drain now I am going to Doha. somebody somewhere is coining it in when your own doctor could do this for free and you can get visa online
Old Oct 29th 2013, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Bhatatboy you are correct. I have been job-hunting since Jun and watching my savings dwindle into the abyss
Old Oct 29th 2013, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DaveSand
Bhatatboy you are correct. I have been job-hunting since Jun and watching my savings dwindle into the abyss
Now you watch them build again in Doha. Good luck buddy.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all comments, Got Ticket confirmation today Nov 8th Manchester via Istanbul cattle class on Turkish airlines . anyone done this? can you get a beer on the plane ? is it free ? OH and forgot to mention D I V O R C E in my OP
Old Oct 30th 2013, 6:37 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Turkish isn't that bad as it goes, I flew Muscat-Istanbul-LHR a few years back, drinks are free on-board, there is some tv etc. there's also a decent bar in Istanbul airport but it's a bit of a walk from the gates.

Enjoy
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:28 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all comments, Got Ticket confirmation today Nov 8th Manchester via Istanbul cattle class on Turkish airlines . anyone done this? can you get a beer on the plane ? is it free ? OH and forgot to mention D I V O R C E in my OP
this company you are joining sound like a bunch of cheapskates, make sure your ticket is a return one just in case!
Old Nov 1st 2013, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
this company you are joining sound like a bunch of cheapskates, make sure your ticket is a return one just in case!
Dont say that worried s^^tless as it is. 1 million and 1 questions whirring around in my mind.

all of you must have been here before you left....... 1 week to go before I leave

Last edited by DaveSand; Nov 1st 2013 at 2:49 am. Reason: typo
Old Nov 1st 2013, 7:59 am
Hit 16's

Dont say that worried s^^tless as it is. 1 million and 1 questions whirring around in my mind.

all of you must have been here before you left....... 1 week to go before I leave
Each company has its own way of dealing with these sort of things. Even the big reputable ones can sometimes do things which leave you speechless. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. You may not wish to disclose the name of your employer, but can you tell us a little something about them? Size, sector, where they're based?
Old Nov 1st 2013, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Did you know that Turkish Airlines fly to the most international destinations over any other airline.?
Old Nov 1st 2013, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

I have flown with Turkish Air a few times mainly when we were in Kuwait as it's impossible to get a direct flight there from UK unless you go to Heathrow. Turkish Air are OK and one good thing is that they are usually on time which is very important if you have to get a connecting flight. Luckily we don't have that problem anymore as we are now in Qatar but I am also very happy to report that we will be escaping from Doha in a couple weeks. Next posting is back in Abu Dhabi

Check out airline reviews:-

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Airlines
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

here is acopy of email sent to Boss is this the norm?

Regarding a cash advance on arrival. I have been advised by Mr, ***** that a limited cash advance on arrival is possible. Would 1/3 of my monthly salary be acceptable for general living for my first month and to ease with any worry that may arise. This can be deducted in full from my first months salary as required. I look forward to your reply.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 3:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

here is acopy of email sent to Boss is this the norm?

Regarding a cash advance on arrival. I have been advised by Mr, ***** that a limited cash advance on arrival is possible. Would 1/3 of my monthly salary be acceptable for general living for my first month and to ease with any worry that may arise. This can be deducted in full from my first months salary as required. I look forward to your reply.
No, I wouldn't say it's the norm to ask for an advance.

BUT, what's the harm in trying? You've clearly been quite open with them about the situation, so the worst they can do is say no. At which point you just blast whatever credit card you get when you turn up until you get paid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.