British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Four countries cut links with Qatar over 'terrorism' support (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/four-countries-cut-links-qatar-over-terrorism-support-897620/)

martinbkk Jun 4th 2017 6:41 pm

Re: Four countries cut links with Qatar over 'terrorism' support

Some more here

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...es-with-qatar/

DXBtoDOH Jun 4th 2017 6:55 pm

Qatar Airways is still showing my flight as confirmed. It's for Wednesday night.

What are the odds?

carcajou Jun 4th 2017 6:56 pm

Al-Hayat reports Qatari nationals have been expelled from Saudi Arabia and have two weeks to leave, but those on pilgrimage will be allowed to continue "despite Doha's behaviour."

jam25mack Jun 4th 2017 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12266172)
Qatar Airways is still showing my flight as confirmed. It's for Wednesday night.

What are the odds?

Flight to where? Out of the GCC then the chances are good. Into the GCC then who knows. Are the air and sea port bans immediate or 2 weeks as well. If immediate and coming into the GCC then that answers your question.

I'd maybe ring them up ASAP as flight in and out are likely to sky rocket.

Do you have an exit visa?

martinbkk Jun 4th 2017 7:25 pm

Qatar has no FIR (essentially airspace), it's basically all handled by Bahrain. Adjoining FIR's are Saudi and UAE. If flights are denied access to Doha by the controlling FIR states then it would seem to be game over. There might be other factors affecting this as well but a point to consider nonetheless.

Charl01 Jun 4th 2017 7:26 pm

BBC just announced that all flights to/from Qatar with Emirates, Etihad, Saudi and Gulf air are now cancelled.

Pongo Jun 4th 2017 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 12266195)
Qatar has no FIR (essentially airspace), it's basically all handled by Bahrain. Adjoining FIR's are Saudi and UAE. If flights are denied access to Doha by the controlling FIR states then it would seem to be game over. There might be other factors affecting this as well but a point to consider nonetheless.

Not quite, the FIRs potentially affecting Qatar are called Emirates(UAE), Bahrain and Tehran. They don't follow national boundaries and are usually straight lines.

DXBtoDOH Jun 4th 2017 7:55 pm

To / from Dubai.

Weekend is gone. I've come to terms with it. I have free exit visas (no need for employer permission so I can come and go without them knowing, if needed).

Have a flight booked to China on the 24th.

Will there be any issues regarding the airspace?

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12266177)
Flight to where? Out of the GCC then the chances are good. Into the GCC then who knows. Are the air and sea port bans immediate or 2 weeks as well. If immediate and coming into the GCC then that answers your question.

I'd maybe ring them up ASAP as flight in and out are likely to sky rocket.

Do you have an exit visa?

martinbkk Jun 4th 2017 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pongo (Post 12266207)
Not quite, the FIRs potentially affecting Qatar are called Emirates(UAE), Bahrain and Tehran. They don't follow national boundaries and are usually straight lines.

Indeed. But Qatar is totally enclosed by the FIR's of other states. Forgot about Tehran though

DXBtoDOH Jun 4th 2017 7:57 pm

So the only way Qatar flights can fly into/out of Qatar is through Iranian airspace?

So if needed, I can still get out of the country back to UK or elsewhere?

Originally Posted by Pongo (Post 12266207)

martinbkk Jun 4th 2017 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12266216)
So the only way Qatar flights can fly into/out of Qatar is through Iranian airspace?

That could potentially be the case

Millhouse Jun 4th 2017 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12266216)

Time to bulk buy rice and dates.

DXBtoDOH Jun 4th 2017 8:03 pm

The fear scenarios are going through the mind. I don't doubt company would let me work remotely from UK if needed. I have a cat, however. Won't leave it behind.

Weird to think we're in a siege. I used to wonder what it was like to be besieged in one of those old cities of yore. Guess I'm going to find out ;)

But it does make one realise how crippling it would be to Qatar's economy. They can't let this last more than a few days. It'll probably all be resolved by Sunday. Just long enough to ruin the weekend.

Millhouse Jun 4th 2017 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12266223)
The fear scenarios are going through the mind. I don't doubt company would let me work remotely from UK if needed. I have a cat, however. Won't leave it behind.

Weird to think we're in a siege. I used to wonder what it was like to be besieged in one of those old cities of yore. Guess I'm going to find out ;)

But it does make one realise how crippling it would be to Qatar's economy. They can't let this last more than a few days. It'll probably all be resolved by Sunday. Just long enough to ruin the weekend.

apparently some airspace has been closed according to the whiners on pprune.

If I was you DXBDOH, I'd get an owl to compliment your cat and escape by sea on an umbrella.

jam25mack Jun 4th 2017 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12266223)
It'll probably all be resolved by Sunday. Just long enough to ruin the weekend.

Now there's some wishful thinking!