British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Four countries cut links with Qatar over 'terrorism' support (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/four-countries-cut-links-qatar-over-terrorism-support-897620/)

Johnnyboy11 Jun 5th 2017 4:12 am

Four countries cut links with Qatar over 'terrorism' support

Link

Link

This is getting serious, maybe time to repatriate, if you can find an available Qatar Airways seat :(

DXBtoDOH Jun 5th 2017 4:41 am

Re: Four countries cut links with Qatar over 'terrorism' support

Oi I'm getting worried. Supposed to fly to Dubai this weekend!

Living here makes me feel like a hypocrite.

Brains1983 Jun 5th 2017 5:07 am

it's going to bollox up my week. We've got half a dozed trailers in transit through to Doha from here. Currently in KSA - christ knows what happens with them!

martinbkk Jun 5th 2017 5:17 am

Seriously? :blink::unsure:

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 5th 2017 5:23 am

There was a bit of blustering around this but nothing huge (I rarely read regional press)...but even so.... to cut ties abruptly seems quite extreme?

DXBtoDOH Jun 5th 2017 5:41 am

Expat whispers it's a forerunner to a coup to remove the head sheikh. He's always been more sympathetic to the fundamentalists. Father could be behind it.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 5th 2017 5:44 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12266131)
Expat whispers it's a forerunner to a coup to remove the head sheikh. He's always been more sympathetic to the fundamentalists. Father could be behind it.

Talking of Expat whispers, when will the 3yr old rumour of a death in AD resurface? Surely soon before Eid.... :lol:

jam25mack Jun 5th 2017 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12266136)
Talking of Expat whispers, when will the 3yr old rumour of a death in AD resurface? Surely soon before Eid.... :lol:

:rofl::rofl: Well it is that time of year after all!

Talking to my Iranian colleague he says it all kicked off after this supposed twitter hack last week and that the Q8 Emir has been hauling himself round the GCC trying to get everyone to calm down and singing 'can't just we be friends' repeatedly. Apparently his voice is not so good though and so its all gone tits up.

Pretty extreme though.

Emirates and Etihad must be smiling a wry smile.

carcajou Jun 5th 2017 6:10 am

I believe Bahrain is going a step further and ordering Qatari nationals to leave within two weeks.

Surely something going on behind the scenes than just some "hack" (that's what those called out always say).

No road links - tantamount to a quasi-blockade. Qataris will feel this.

Millhouse Jun 5th 2017 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12266136)

It's not a rumour anymore. Two posters here heard it at the highest levels of government that it happened 2 years ago.

I heard they are waiting to announce it when Eid falls in winter. So in around 10 years time.

Millhouse Jun 5th 2017 6:15 am

So much for the cross border coordination of VAT then

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 5th 2017 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12266154)
It's not a rumour anymore. Two posters here heard it at the highest levels of government that it happened 2 years ago.

I heard they are waiting to announce it when Eid falls in winter. So in around 10 years time.

I see.

Well, my mate and his mrs were at the yacht club and they were talking to a woman who works with a guy who..........etc

martinbkk Jun 5th 2017 6:19 am

The FBI is helping Qatar investigate the source of an alleged "hack" of state media which sparked diplomatic tensions in the Gulf. American support was requested and a team sent which has been in Doha since last Friday, working with Qatar's interior ministry

FBI Helping Qatar in 'Hacking' Probe: Source | SecurityWeek.Com

carcajou Jun 5th 2017 6:19 am

Rumours - my rule is if it comes from a Westerner, disregard it.

jam25mack Jun 5th 2017 6:35 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12266152)
I believe Bahrain is going a step further and ordering Qatari nationals to leave within two weeks.

Surely something going on behind the scenes than just some "hack" (that's what those called out always say).

No road links - tantamount to a quasi-blockade. Qataris will feel this.

Pretty much they all have....