First Post

Old May 18th 2007, 6:59 am
Just Joined

the wanderers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First Post

Hi ,
I am looking into moving to Dubai or Qatar .
I would like to know if there are any women working in engineering in the oil/gas sectors and what their experience of working/living in Dubai or Qatar
is like .
I have worked/lived in Brisbane for the last two years and quite fancy a temporary change.
I think it would be a good experience for my kids to see another part of the world before they get to the exam years.
Any info would be great.

Thanks Anne.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:45 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Post

Originally Posted by the wanderers
Hi ,
I am looking into moving to Dubai or Qatar .
I would like to know if there are any women working in engineering in the oil/gas sectors and what their experience of working/living in Dubai or Qatar
is like .
I have worked/lived in Brisbane for the last two years and quite fancy a temporary change.
I think it would be a good experience for my kids to see another part of the world before they get to the exam years.
Any info would be great.

Thanks Anne.

Hi Anne, and welcome to BE - can't help you on the engineering side of things, but can tell you that Dubai seems to be alot better than Qatar, one of our members has just spent about a month Qatar and hated it. Dubai has alot more buzz! Are you planning on coming with your husband - I hate to have to ask but there could be issues if you are a single mum out here, though I am sure you can get round them etc. Good luck!
Old May 18th 2007, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Hi Anne, and welcome to BE - can't help you on the engineering side of things, but can tell you that Dubai seems to be alot better than Qatar, one of our members has just spent about a month Qatar and hated it. Dubai has alot more buzz! Are you planning on coming with your husband - I hate to have to ask but there could be issues if you are a single mum out here, though I am sure you can get round them etc. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply.
Yes my husband will be coming also ,if we get the chance.
I couldnt leave him behind !
I did read the posts about Qatar .
Just researching at the moment , looking for any info.
I have read through the wiki .
Any info on family life ,companies to avoid etc.

Thanks Anne
Old May 18th 2007, 11:21 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply.
Yes my husband will be coming also ,if we get the chance.
I couldnt leave him behind !
I did read the posts about Qatar .
Just researching at the moment , looking for any info.
Any info on family life ,companies to avoid etc.

Thanks Anne
Family life is great, but my husband said he would rather be in Brisbane than here!!! The traffic can be a real nightmare, it is getting worse. Schools are pricey but you have to ensure your package will cover their fees. The rents are astronomical. At the end of the day you have to weigh it up from a financial point of view. It all depends on what package you can get with a new employer. That is the most important thing, if you get a good package, you will have a great life!!!! Can't advise about companies as I don't know anything about the oil and gas sector. I have a list of British Schools in the Middle East if you need it.
Old May 18th 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

what kind of engineering do you do??

dubai has quite a lot of marine/oil and gas construction

Jackups and FPSO's etc

If that is your field then give me a shout
Old May 18th 2007, 3:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a first welcome to BE, and apart from that, can't really help
Old May 18th 2007, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
There's a first welcome to BE, and apart from that, can't really help
Recognition at last...
Old May 20th 2007, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
what kind of engineering do you do??

dubai has quite a lot of marine/oil and gas construction

Jackups and FPSO's etc

If that is your field then give me a shout
Hi,
I am an instrument engineer with 14 yrs experience in oil & gas industry working for engineering contractor companies who do work for the likes of Shell, BP, Texaco etc. My experience is mainly in offshore installation topsides design & onshore refinery.
Any info regarding companies/contacts etc would be appreciated

Thanks Anne
Old May 20th 2007, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Old May 20th 2007, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Just getting my posts up so I can use the pm service
Old May 20th 2007, 11:57 am
Concierge

Just getting my posts up so I can use the pm service
LOL!!!!
Old May 20th 2007, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I am an instrument engineer with 14 yrs experience in oil & gas industry working for engineering contractor companies who do work for the likes of Shell, BP, Texaco etc. My experience is mainly in offshore installation topsides design & onshore refinery.
Any info regarding companies/contacts etc would be appreciated

Thanks Anne
give me a few days to revert to you (i am kinda busy right now) i have some contacts that may be able to help you

pm me when you have enough posts