Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Expat Racists in Dubai

Expat Racists in Dubai

Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:05 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Racists in Dubai

Originally Posted by Beduoin_Boy
My women she is german, she always say that I should accompany her while she does her shopping... bcoz she gets great courtesy. But not when she is alone with with other whites.
Well... thats weird. Probably because the shopkeeper is foreigner, and always think that arab have lots of money...
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:10 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Expat Racists in Dubai

[QUOTE=joseph.creative]beginning to enjoy it her all over again... so many new peeps...

Did you scare the old peeps off them joe :scared:

Mot like u is it??
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:20 am
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Originally Posted by novita77
Well... thats weird. Probably because the shopkeeper is foreigner, and always think that arab have lots of money...
I have an Indian friend who started wearing the headscarf earlier this year and she says she definitely gets quoted higher prices in some shops now because they think she's an Arab. Bedouin's comments are weird because whites normally get treated with courtesy anyway
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
I have an Indian friend who started wearing the headscarf earlier this year and she says she definitely gets quoted higher prices in some shops now because they think she's an Arab. Bedouin's comments are weird because whites normally get treated with courtesy anyway

You'll be surprised at what difference certain accents can make and not just skin colour.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

jsm66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am amazed at your story .. Maybe the British mothers thought you were Moslem?
I have been in Dubai 15mths and quite frankly cannot see what all the fuss is about apart from that 0% tax rate.
Being British but of Indian origin I get mistaken for an Arab loads of times until I tell them that I am a Sikh. This after practice is better than saying that I am British-Indian .. they don't like Indians here even though they built Dubai!

My wife (Sicilian) gets stared at as if no one here has seen an Italian woman!!!

Can't wait to leave this place where I would argue there is no culture just the import of americanisms and the hedonistic lifestyle.

Wonder if my next destinantion is better .. Australia?

JSM66
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:34 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi CP, i do agree with u. Like in Singapore / Malaysia, i can pass as a local because we talk similar language. Down at chinatown in Malaysia, I can get a fake watches for 20 riyal each, but when hubby try to bargain it... they will start with something silly like 250 riyal for fake rolex watches. In Asia, people think that 'white' always have more money than others. But in ME, i think they still treat 'arab' as the richest...
Old Oct 20th 2004, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

ambar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
thought u guys had the postal vote sorted out? so would it have been Bush the Bomber or Kerry the I am up for gay marriages?

sowher from in the states?

I am known for being a nosey git!!! but meant to be quite harmless.

Goos u stumbled in... pull up a chair and grab a

missed the deadline for the paper work needed to vote absentee (or whatever it is called)…
as for who I would have vote for, well I thought it was obvious…how did u missed that? not good at reading between the lines, huh? /jk