Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Expat compound in Riyadh industrial area

Expat compound in Riyadh industrial area

Old Aug 7th 2010, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Uscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat compound in Riyadh industrial area

Hello folks, I am new to this forum and have spend several days reading relevant posts on Riyadh compounds. I must thank you guys for the wealth of info on this forum.
I am a Canadian from Newfoundland and recently accepted an offer with SABIC research and Technology center in Riyadh. My package include accommodation in a western compound. However, knowing that Sabic R&T is located in the outskirt of Riyadh in the industrial city area, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a compound this is within reasonable distance to this area. As My wife and two kids (3 and 6 yrs) would also be joining me, I learnt from previous posts that compound would be most suitable.

Any info of close by expat compound with reasonable facilities would be highly appreciated.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

thecentennial is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Expat compound in Riyadh industrial area

Originally Posted by Uscrew
Hello folks, I am new to this forum and have spend several days reading relevant posts on Riyadh compounds. I must thank you guys for the wealth of info on this forum.
I am a Canadian from Newfoundland and recently accepted an offer with SABIC research and Technology center in Riyadh. My package include accommodation in a western compound. However, knowing that Sabic R&T is located in the outskirt of Riyadh in the industrial city area, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a compound this is within reasonable distance to this area. As My wife and two kids (3 and 6 yrs) would also be joining me, I learnt from previous posts that compound would be most suitable.

Any info of close by expat compound with reasonable facilities would be highly appreciated.
Isn't SABIC near al hamra compound?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

No the Sabic R/T Centre is on the Industrial est.
Just after the Air base.
it is about 20 mins drive from my compound.
Some of the compounds you should be looking for are.
1/ Ranco
2/ Al Rayan.
3/ Al Rotunda.
These are the nearest open compounds
Ranco would be the best for your family.

There are a couple closer but they are company compounds so you will not get in them.
The drive to work can be a bit hair raising more so on the eastern ring road.
Once you get past IKEA you should be ok.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Coffindodger,
Thanks for this valuable info. I called Ranco and I was told that they are full and have even stopped putting people on waiting list since it's longer than hundred. I couldn't get through to the management of the both Al-Rayan and Al-Rotunda.

Though, I will inform SABIC to try and talk to Ranco, since I have read in many posts that sometimes coporate organization often have preference.

Is there anyone presently leaving in any of this compounds that can offer us some advice on getting in? Or does any know if SABIC would be able to get us despite the "no vacancy" claim?

Thanks
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Ranco would be the better one for your family by far.
Al Rayan i know some one leaving mid sept ish
Al Rotunda this is a quite compound a mix of French & Lebos
Nicely tucked away in a quite area
Not sure of there availablity.

Compound accom is always tight.
But where you are working you are on the wrong side of town for any thing really.
Apart from the couple i have already said.
Driving is a night mare here you take you life in your hands every day.
At the moment it is quite and hardly and traffic on the roads but come sept it will be back to normall
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Coffindodger, once again thanks...I appreciate this first hand info which is very important to be aware ahead. We'll also be arriving in September. Perhaps we should try to first get in to Al-Rayan and waitlist on Ranco since its preferred?
Thus, would you mind to link me with your friend who will be leaving by September in Al-Rayan? My e-mail is [email protected] incase he wants to link up. Otherwise, would you please help the get the manager contact from your friend? Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks