Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

EVL removals have gone into administration

EVL removals have gone into administration

Old Apr 13th 2011, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

amy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the rough
Default EVL removals have gone into administration

Just thought I should post this in case anyone else has any shipments with them.

Our container arrived in Qatar last week, but the local agent has been unable to release it for delivery as he's not been able to get hold of anyone at EVL back in the UK.

I just went on the case myself and have found out that EVL has gone into administration.

If this affects anyone else, apparently everything is insured through BAR (who are currently handling my case) and the IMMI financial guarantee scheme, but you should contact BAR as soon as possible to ensure that your case is being handled. http://www.bar.co.uk/consumer/contactus/

I am trying to get our container released for delivery as we speak, but apparently the local agents in Qatar can't do anything until they have their money.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

amy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: EVL removals have gone into administration

Just by way of update, we ended up paying the local agents ourselves in order to get our container released quickly (it was sat on the dockside racking up charges, and we were desperate to get our furniture etc). It cost us US$1,070

We should *hopefully* get it back through the BAR/IMMI protection scheme - the people who run this have been really helpful. However, we are quite low down in the list of creditors so we are not holding our breath.

We could have avoided paying the local agents fees if we were prepared to wait while the IMMI scheme kicked in and sorted everything out, but we weren't able to wait as we need to be in our new villa by the end of next week.

In the current financial climate, and with removals companies struggling back in England, I strongly recommend you go with a company under the protection of the BAR/IMMI scheme after our experiences!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the info.

and good luck with the move.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

hardel is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, just been told a similar story,my stuff is in a warehouse in vancouver and the canadian agent is trying to get it released.fingers crossed and good luck to anyone else in dificulty
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:38 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amy77
Just by way of update, we ended up paying the local agents ourselves in order to get our container released quickly (it was sat on the dockside racking up charges, and we were desperate to get our furniture etc). It cost us US$1,070

We should *hopefully* get it back through the BAR/IMMI protection scheme - the people who run this have been really helpful. However, we are quite low down in the list of creditors so we are not holding our breath.

We could have avoided paying the local agents fees if we were prepared to wait while the IMMI scheme kicked in and sorted everything out, but we weren't able to wait as we need to be in our new villa by the end of next week.

In the current financial climate, and with removals companies struggling back in England, I strongly recommend you go with a company under the protection of the BAR/IMMI scheme after our experiences!
You should use companies that belong to FIDI they will guarantee payments to the shipper/ receiving agent. If the shipper/agent gets their money they wont hold on to your goods.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:00 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

You should pay all costs your self and then persue getting your money back through BAR/IMMI. This is supposing that EVL subscribed to BAR/IMMI oversea's as well as UK. The other thing to consider is, did they pay their subscription, as thery were short of money they may not have. If they havent, then I doubt BAR/IMMI will pay out.

If you find your self in the position of your stuff being held up in a container somewhere, I would say pay your self to get it moved. De-murrage can cost a lot, and it is charged by the day. BAR/IMMI wont cover these costs. You can easly run up hundreds of dollars in a few days.

The OP did the right thing in paying up and getting their goods before further costs were incurred.
Old May 7th 2011, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Just by way of update, all parties involved have been really helpful (especially BAR and also GBLiners, who took over any outstanding EVL business as per the terms of the IMMI protection scheme).

We have filled out the relevant forms and registered as creditors, and hopefully we will get our money back. I'm not holding my breath though, as I imagine we are way down the list!