Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Enter on spouse visa or company?

Enter on spouse visa or company?

Old May 22nd 2014, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Enter on spouse visa or company?

Hi all,

I'm due to move to AD with my wife in August. The plan has always been for me to enter the emirate on her visa, with her as my sponsor, and get a spouse visa while I search for a job.

However, I spoke this week to a company who said they were very interested in me and 'might' be able to help me get a visa to get into the country.

I'd like to understand whether it'd be better to push them to do that, or whether it'd be easier to arrive on my wife's visa? What are the chances with 3 months to go that if I asked them to sort my visa not my wife's company I'd get clearance etc in time?

And what happens if both visas get applied for?

Thanks!
Old May 22nd 2014, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enter on spouse visa or company?

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Hi all,

I'm due to move to AD with my wife in August. The plan has always been for me to enter the emirate on her visa, with her as my sponsor, and get a spouse visa while I search for a job.

However, I spoke this week to a company who said they were very interested in me and 'might' be able to help me get a visa to get into the country.

I'd like to understand whether it'd be better to push them to do that, or whether it'd be easier to arrive on my wife's visa? What are the chances with 3 months to go that if I asked them to sort my visa not my wife's company I'd get clearance etc in time?

And what happens if both visas get applied for?

Thanks!
what does your wife do? only certain professionals can sponsor as a woman.
Old May 23rd 2014, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by busybee2
what does your wife do? only certain professionals can sponsor as a woman.
Sorry, should have been clearer. My wife is a teacher so can sponsor me, and according to her school our visas are already in progress.

I just wondered what would happen, and whether it would be beneficial or otherwise, if I got a job and they offered to get me a visa before I arrived. Would it just cancel out the spouse visa automatically or would I get in trouble for having two visas?
Old May 23rd 2014, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, should have been clearer. My wife is a teacher so can sponsor me, and according to her school our visas are already in progress.

I just wondered what would happen, and whether it would be beneficial or otherwise, if I got a job and they offered to get me a visa before I arrived. Would it just cancel out the spouse visa automatically or would I get in trouble for having two visas?
u cant have two visas... you would come in on one and if you got your own job you would need to cancel it or stay on your wifes visa which is beneficial as you then wont be banned etc.
Old May 23rd 2014, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by busybee2
u cant have two visas... you would come in on one and if you got your own job you would need to cancel it or stay on your wifes visa which is beneficial as you then wont be banned etc.
Right. Do you know (it may be a way too general question, if so, sorry) if companies are generally okay with people staying on their own visas - or do they generally want you to accept a visa with them as part of an offer?
Old May 23rd 2014, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Right. Do you know (it may be a way too general question, if so, sorry) if companies are generally okay with people staying on their own visas - or do they generally want you to accept a visa with them as part of an offer?
well for one thing only certain professional can sponsor being a woman, so thats not many..... so if you are sponsored by your wife then you are on her visa and so the company usually dont provide certain allowances as you are a local hire... by staying on her visa you can then resign and the company cannot harm you etc, if you were on their visa they have the control. so a lot of jobs for women are on husbands visa because it better for them but also the company do not provide you will all the perks, so its cheaper for them they provide you a labour card etc
Old May 25th 2014, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pros and cons, which is better?

- Both on company visa, single status (living together)
- Both on company visa, married status (I think only one gets the benefits, so, dont see the benefit on being BOTH on company visa, unless one gets fired and the other applies for family visa)
- One in company visa, the other on spouse visa, only one gets the benefits.
Old May 25th 2014, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Hi Driftingaway.

What generally happens here with visas is that your wife's company will put the paperwork in place for her only before she arrives. It's a "pink slip" which she collects at the airport which enables her to have a stamp in her passport to proceed to the next part of the visa process, ie health check etc.

If you arrive with her at the airport you will come in on a tourist visa.

Once her visa is complete - which could take a few days or 2-3 months depending on time of year, efficiency of company pro etc - then she can sponsor you. It is likely you will have to do at least one visa run but it's a simple process and there's lots of information on the forum here about them.

Once she has sponsored you, (and the process is cheap, under 1000aed for 3 years) if you get a job, you will then need to cancel that sponsorship and your new employer will organise a visa for you. Husbands who are on their wife's sponsorship in AD cannot work, even with an NOC (no objection letter). I know this for a fact as I have friends who have been in this situation in the last 6 months.

From being interviewed to my friend receiving his new residency visa and starting the job took over 3 months, so unless you have a 100% cast iron job offer I would tend to come over on a visitor visa so at least you can be with your wife and don't have to sit at home waiting and waiting for the email telling you that your visa is ready.

Welcome to the middle east!
Old May 25th 2014, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dont think the pink slip is "pink" anymore i think its now white. lol
Old May 25th 2014, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Hi Driftingaway.

What generally happens here with visas is that your wife's company will put the paperwork in place for her only before she arrives. It's a "pink slip" which she collects at the airport which enables her to have a stamp in her passport to proceed to the next part of the visa process, ie health check etc.

Once her visa is complete - which could take a few days or 2-3 months depending on time of year, efficiency of company pro etc - then she can sponsor you. It is likely you will have to do at least one visa run but it's a simple process and there's lots of information on the forum here about them.

Once she has sponsored you, (and the process is cheap, under 1000aed for 3 years) if you get a job, you will then need to cancel that sponsorship and your new employer will organise a visa for you. Husbands who are on their wife's sponsorship in AD cannot work, even with an NOC (no objection letter). I know this for a fact as I have friends who have been in this situation in the last 6 months.

From being interviewed to my friend receiving his new residency visa and starting the job took over 3 months, so unless you have a 100% cast iron job offer I would tend to come over on a visitor visa so at least you can be with your wife and don't have to sit at home waiting and waiting for the email telling you that your visa is ready.

its not always 3 years visa thats only for government employees private companies now is 2 years visa.
Old May 25th 2014, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Hi Driftingaway.

husbands on wife visa can work it will just depend on the company.
Old May 26th 2014, 10:53 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Why not enter on a tourist visa and then decide?
Old May 29th 2014, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all - some really useful stuff here