Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Enter on spouse visa or company?

Enter on spouse visa or company?

Old May 22nd 2014, 3:46 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
driftingaway's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Reem Island, Abu Dhabi
Posts: 109
driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Enter on spouse visa or company?

Hi all,

I'm due to move to AD with my wife in August. The plan has always been for me to enter the emirate on her visa, with her as my sponsor, and get a spouse visa while I search for a job.

However, I spoke this week to a company who said they were very interested in me and 'might' be able to help me get a visa to get into the country.

I'd like to understand whether it'd be better to push them to do that, or whether it'd be easier to arrive on my wife's visa? What are the chances with 3 months to go that if I asked them to sort my visa not my wife's company I'd get clearance etc in time?

And what happens if both visas get applied for?

Thanks!
driftingaway is offline  
Old May 22nd 2014, 4:50 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enter on spouse visa or company?

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Hi all,

I'm due to move to AD with my wife in August. The plan has always been for me to enter the emirate on her visa, with her as my sponsor, and get a spouse visa while I search for a job.

However, I spoke this week to a company who said they were very interested in me and 'might' be able to help me get a visa to get into the country.

I'd like to understand whether it'd be better to push them to do that, or whether it'd be easier to arrive on my wife's visa? What are the chances with 3 months to go that if I asked them to sort my visa not my wife's company I'd get clearance etc in time?

And what happens if both visas get applied for?

Thanks!
what does your wife do? only certain professionals can sponsor as a woman.
busybee2 is offline  
Old May 23rd 2014, 10:17 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
driftingaway's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Reem Island, Abu Dhabi
Posts: 109
driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Enter on spouse visa or company?

Originally Posted by busybee2
what does your wife do? only certain professionals can sponsor as a woman.
Sorry, should have been clearer. My wife is a teacher so can sponsor me, and according to her school our visas are already in progress.

I just wondered what would happen, and whether it would be beneficial or otherwise, if I got a job and they offered to get me a visa before I arrived. Would it just cancel out the spouse visa automatically or would I get in trouble for having two visas?
driftingaway is offline  
Old May 23rd 2014, 11:25 am
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enter on spouse visa or company?

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Sorry, should have been clearer. My wife is a teacher so can sponsor me, and according to her school our visas are already in progress.

I just wondered what would happen, and whether it would be beneficial or otherwise, if I got a job and they offered to get me a visa before I arrived. Would it just cancel out the spouse visa automatically or would I get in trouble for having two visas?
u cant have two visas... you would come in on one and if you got your own job you would need to cancel it or stay on your wifes visa which is beneficial as you then wont be banned etc.
busybee2 is offline  
Old May 23rd 2014, 11:27 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
driftingaway's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Reem Island, Abu Dhabi
Posts: 109
driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Enter on spouse visa or company?

Originally Posted by busybee2
u cant have two visas... you would come in on one and if you got your own job you would need to cancel it or stay on your wifes visa which is beneficial as you then wont be banned etc.
Right. Do you know (it may be a way too general question, if so, sorry) if companies are generally okay with people staying on their own visas - or do they generally want you to accept a visa with them as part of an offer?
driftingaway is offline  
Old May 23rd 2014, 11:30 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enter on spouse visa or company?

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Right. Do you know (it may be a way too general question, if so, sorry) if companies are generally okay with people staying on their own visas - or do they generally want you to accept a visa with them as part of an offer?
well for one thing only certain professional can sponsor being a woman, so thats not many..... so if you are sponsored by your wife then you are on her visa and so the company usually dont provide certain allowances as you are a local hire... by staying on her visa you can then resign and the company cannot harm you etc, if you were on their visa they have the control. so a lot of jobs for women are on husbands visa because it better for them but also the company do not provide you will all the perks, so its cheaper for them they provide you a labour card etc
busybee2 is offline  
Old May 25th 2014, 8:39 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Doha now...
Posts: 137
Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Enter on spouse visa or company?

Pros and cons, which is better?

- Both on company visa, single status (living together)
- Both on company visa, married status (I think only one gets the benefits, so, dont see the benefit on being BOTH on company visa, unless one gets fired and the other applies for family visa)
- One in company visa, the other on spouse visa, only one gets the benefits.
Venezuelan007 is offline  
Old May 25th 2014, 11:28 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Zakher, Al Ain
Posts: 425
Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice
Default Re: Enter on spouse visa or company?

Hi Driftingaway.

What generally happens here with visas is that your wife's company will put the paperwork in place for her only before she arrives. It's a "pink slip" which she collects at the airport which enables her to have a stamp in her passport to proceed to the next part of the visa process, ie health check etc.

If you arrive with her at the airport you will come in on a tourist visa.

Once her visa is complete - which could take a few days or 2-3 months depending on time of year, efficiency of company pro etc - then she can sponsor you. It is likely you will have to do at least one visa run but it's a simple process and there's lots of information on the forum here about them.

Once she has sponsored you, (and the process is cheap, under 1000aed for 3 years) if you get a job, you will then need to cancel that sponsorship and your new employer will organise a visa for you. Husbands who are on their wife's sponsorship in AD cannot work, even with an NOC (no objection letter). I know this for a fact as I have friends who have been in this situation in the last 6 months.

From being interviewed to my friend receiving his new residency visa and starting the job took over 3 months, so unless you have a 100% cast iron job offer I would tend to come over on a visitor visa so at least you can be with your wife and don't have to sit at home waiting and waiting for the email telling you that your visa is ready.

Welcome to the middle east!
Bluelionesse is offline  
Old May 25th 2014, 2:12 pm
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enter on spouse visa or company?

dont think the pink slip is "pink" anymore i think its now white. lol
busybee2 is offline  
Old May 25th 2014, 2:13 pm
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enter on spouse visa or company?

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Hi Driftingaway.

What generally happens here with visas is that your wife's company will put the paperwork in place for her only before she arrives. It's a "pink slip" which she collects at the airport which enables her to have a stamp in her passport to proceed to the next part of the visa process, ie health check etc.

If you arrive with her at the airport you will come in on a tourist visa.

Once her visa is complete - which could take a few days or 2-3 months depending on time of year, efficiency of company pro etc - then she can sponsor you. It is likely you will have to do at least one visa run but it's a simple process and there's lots of information on the forum here about them.

Once she has sponsored you, (and the process is cheap, under 1000aed for 3 years) if you get a job, you will then need to cancel that sponsorship and your new employer will organise a visa for you. Husbands who are on their wife's sponsorship in AD cannot work, even with an NOC (no objection letter). I know this for a fact as I have friends who have been in this situation in the last 6 months.

From being interviewed to my friend receiving his new residency visa and starting the job took over 3 months, so unless you have a 100% cast iron job offer I would tend to come over on a visitor visa so at least you can be with your wife and don't have to sit at home waiting and waiting for the email telling you that your visa is ready.

Welcome to the middle east!
its not always 3 years visa thats only for government employees private companies now is 2 years visa.
busybee2 is offline  
Old May 25th 2014, 2:13 pm
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enter on spouse visa or company?

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Hi Driftingaway.

What generally happens here with visas is that your wife's company will put the paperwork in place for her only before she arrives. It's a "pink slip" which she collects at the airport which enables her to have a stamp in her passport to proceed to the next part of the visa process, ie health check etc.

If you arrive with her at the airport you will come in on a tourist visa.

Once her visa is complete - which could take a few days or 2-3 months depending on time of year, efficiency of company pro etc - then she can sponsor you. It is likely you will have to do at least one visa run but it's a simple process and there's lots of information on the forum here about them.

Once she has sponsored you, (and the process is cheap, under 1000aed for 3 years) if you get a job, you will then need to cancel that sponsorship and your new employer will organise a visa for you. Husbands who are on their wife's sponsorship in AD cannot work, even with an NOC (no objection letter). I know this for a fact as I have friends who have been in this situation in the last 6 months.

From being interviewed to my friend receiving his new residency visa and starting the job took over 3 months, so unless you have a 100% cast iron job offer I would tend to come over on a visitor visa so at least you can be with your wife and don't have to sit at home waiting and waiting for the email telling you that your visa is ready.

Welcome to the middle east!
husbands on wife visa can work it will just depend on the company.
busybee2 is offline  
Old May 26th 2014, 10:53 am
  #12  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,713
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enter on spouse visa or company?

Why not enter on a tourist visa and then decide?
Meow is offline  
Old May 29th 2014, 11:15 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
driftingaway's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Reem Island, Abu Dhabi
Posts: 109
driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Enter on spouse visa or company?

Thanks all - some really useful stuff here
driftingaway is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.