Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Enough to survive?

Enough to survive?

Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

JACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to all
Default Enough to survive?

I've had a decent look through the forum but still none the wiser. Any honest help very much appreciated. My question...

Is a monthly salary of AED 22k enough to survive on for a family (one child of school age)? The salary does not include rent.

We're looking for a change of scene, and are not too bothered about putting money away. But could we make ends meet on this salary, assuming my wife doesn't work? We'd need a 2-bed apartment.

Thanks!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enough to survive?

please use the search facility, there is lots of information there re cost of living, house rental prices etc.
Unless you have your rent paid and school fees covered over and above that amount I would say no!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 4:29 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JACKPOP
I've had a decent look through the forum but still none the wiser. Any honest help very much appreciated. My question...

Is a monthly salary of AED 22k enough to survive on for a family (one child of school age)? The salary does not include rent.

We're looking for a change of scene, and are not too bothered about putting money away. But could we make ends meet on this salary, assuming my wife doesn't work? We'd need a 2-bed apartment.

Thanks!
If you can find a place costing less than AED 100K and don't have a shopoholic wife, then you can easily survive but don't expect to save very much.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
If you can find a place costing less than AED 100K and don't have a shopoholic wife, then you can easily survive but don't expect to save very much.
Survive or live??
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Survive or live??
I know plenty of people earning much less than AED 22K who live quite nicely...
Old Oct 16th 2007, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
It wont be easy finding a 2 Bedroom apartment for less than 100k.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 6:45 am
Just Joined

JACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to allJACKPOP is a name known to all

Thank you for your answers! I appreciate it's a matter of expectations and the lifestyle you're used to (so a hard question to answer).

Having done lots of searches on here and looked at estate agents online, I'm struggling to find anything for less than 100k. Is it still possible to find anything decent in this price category? We'll be moving from a mortgaged 3-bedroom house here in the UK, so not really prepared to live anywhere too small/grubby. Are we talking more like 120k/month (for 2-bed apartment)? Even at that price I've only seen small one-bed places online.

I'm getting the impression that a year or two ago this salary would have been fine, but with current rental prices, I'm getting cold feet. I'll also need to pay school fees (for one child), plus the usual living expenses. We're not expecting an extravagant lifestyle on this money, but wouldn't want to make the move if we're going to struggle to make ends meet. Any further opinions/advice much appreciated...
Old Oct 16th 2007, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your answers! I appreciate it's a matter of expectations and the lifestyle you're used to (so a hard question to answer).

Having done lots of searches on here and looked at estate agents online, I'm struggling to find anything for less than 100k. Is it still possible to find anything decent in this price category? We'll be moving from a mortgaged 3-bedroom house here in the UK, so not really prepared to live anywhere too small/grubby. Are we talking more like 120k/month (for 2-bed apartment)? Even at that price I've only seen small one-bed places online.

I'm getting the impression that a year or two ago this salary would have been fine, but with current rental prices, I'm getting cold feet. I'll also need to pay school fees (for one child), plus the usual living expenses. We're not expecting an extravagant lifestyle on this money, but wouldn't want to make the move if we're going to struggle to make ends meet. Any further opinions/advice much appreciated...
if you're prepared to put up with the hassle and traffic, there are 2-bed apts on the Dubai-Sharjah highway just over the Sharjah border for 50-60k....

On that salary it's unlikely you'll be having champagne and lobster brunches at 5* hotels every Friday... but as you say it depends on expectations and lifestyle choices.

My package is in that ball-park and I manage to save a fair amount, but then I'm single so no shopping sprees or school fees
Old Oct 16th 2007, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

where in Dubai will you be working? it makes a big difference on accomodation!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Working in Garhoud, and not sure about the idea of a long commute - want to see something of my kids!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

with school fees and rent, realistically, i think you will be stretching it on that salary...

What about medical cover, flights home etc...??

MM, xx
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your replies. As expected, it's hard to get a definitive answer on this. Lionheart, you seem certain it's doable, others not so sure. At this stage, I'm just wondering if the salary will cover my basic day-to-day costs (rent x2 bedrooms, school fees x1, car x2, groceries, utilities, etc, plus a bare minimum for going out etc)? Medical already covered.

I'm finding it pretty hard to do accurate sums from out here in blighty. Clearly I'll be pushing it a little - considering I've got a family to support. But I'm sure there are plenty living happily in Dubai on less than that (and, of course, plenty earning much much more). Seems like newcomers bear the brunt of the soaring rents. Once you've found a place, does the rent stay stable for any length of time?

Any further opinions gratefully devoured!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:29 am
Account Closed

Working in Garhoud, and not sure about the idea of a long commute - want to see something of my kids!
We live in Garhoud and pay AED75K for a 3-bed villa, but we were lucky. Many of the schools are located in Garhoud as well as the Irish Village. Its been said here and elsewhere that only 4.6% of the population earn more than AED20K per month so anyone saying you cannot live here on that is daft. It really depends on where you choose to eat and do your shopping. Places like Al Qusais and Rashidya are more reasonably priced without being unpleasant.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm on a basic of less than that but am single so I don't spend so much on rent and no school fees.

It will be doable but you wont have a great lifestyle and certainly won't be saving much money!
rents on that side of the creek are cheaper but still expensive. You'll be able to get something for less than 100k in Al nada or Qusais but they are not the best of locations and you'll be sat in traffic a lot!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Why not consider Mankhool/Burjuman area as well? You can get a 3 bed for 140-160 p.a.. Here's a rough budget, if you're not keen on saving...

13125 rent (150k p.a. for a 3 bed; includes the 5% municipality tax)
2500 car (e.g. Camry)
2500 groceries
2000 School (mid range in Garhoud)
750 W/E; Phone/internet for an apartment
1125 shopping/entertainment/saving. Eating out is cheap; there are 2 parks within a 10 minute drive; ........

I used to commute to Garhoud 2 years back - 15min drive to and fro; may be 30 min now - you travel in the opposite direction to the Sharjah traffic, so no problem

Will try and find out the rents in neighbouring buildings tomorrow to see if anything cheaper available....

Last edited by IndieG; Oct 16th 2007 at 2:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.