employment terminated in Abu Dhabi

Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:58 am
Just Joined

ZeeLuton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: employment terminated in Abu Dhabi

And what about my bank account?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZeeLuton
not sure about that one as my wife had an account of her own...

someone else will advise correctly on that rather than me guessing....

good luck and dont fret, it'll be ok
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks mate your a star! I was nervous enough coming out here and was getting more so now i'm looking to do the frank!

I didn't even want residency since I was living in an apartment that was vacated by a colleague, didn't need a license because I have a UK DL and have good friends who would by a car for me and let me drive it ( with a temporary UAE License off course!)

I haven't even been paid my salary via bank transfer, always by cash with 1000 dirham notes,
And I subscribed to Showtime with my UK credit card....i could go on and on...
Old Mar 18th 2008, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
read above, i think your scenario is covered...

At absolute worst...6 months where your new employer will keep you on a visit visa....

Or as Ins has said you can buy out your ban..

dont worry about it....i have had 3 jobs here in as many years..

Never had any problems

edit: drivers license is YOURS...end of

the company have to cancel your visa thou
I'm on my second job and have been here 1 year.
Ban was never problem as my current employer was a freezone company.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

less than one year employment = 6 month ban not a year

typing from experience

and banning does not mean you are banned from the country, you can still work on a visit visa..
You can not work on a visit visa, by law, its illegal. Yes people do it but if you are unexpectedly inspected by the labour dept you will be fined, your employer will be fined and maybe blacklisted from getting new visas for 6 months

The labour dept in AD has been very busy for the last 6 months, i know of 3 companies that have been fined 60,000 and banned for 3 months

Even if you get a ban you can try and get it lifted after 3 months

AC
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on how shitty the company wants to be with you and to what extent they want to follow the rules

Remember you have no rights so to speak of here as you do in Europe or elsewhere, this is the downside of working in the UAE, you can be fired and banned ...... reported absconded and all sorts

If you are fired normally the procedure would be for your company to notify your bank, your bank should then give you a letter to say all outstanding loans etc are paid, they should then close your bank account, you should also get letters from Etisalat etc etc to say all your bills are paid, your visa and labour card are cancelled and your passport returned to you and you get your dues

this is what should happen, now not every company goes through all this, it depends on how they want to play it with you

Dont worry you can always find ways around things here. Good luck

Last edited by Grace O Malley; Mar 24th 2008 at 7:00 am.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:05 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

I don't trust giving my passport to anybody in my company since they have a policy to hand on to employee passports and keep hem in a safe
I'm fairly sure that it's illegal in Dubai for a company to retain an employee's passport against his/her will.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
I'm fairly sure that it's illegal in Dubai for a company to retain an employee's passport against his/her will.
yes but many government owned companies do so themselves.

I know Jumeirah Hotel group does.

Employment laws are a shambles here. The problems I had when I left my first company, when they broke the terms of my contract, nearly pushed me over the edge (literally)
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
You can not work on a visit visa, by law, its illegal. Yes people do it but if you are unexpectedly inspected by the labour dept you will be fined, your employer will be fined and maybe blacklisted from getting new visas for 6 months
better tell that to the 2 previous companies i have worked for...one is a massive international company of 108,000 employees worldwide..

O/P dont worry about this, LOADS of companies do this, and in my understanding its been going on for years and the actual chance of getting caught are zero, zilch, big fat nil....

Disclaimer: dont blame me if you get 4 years in the can for it...
Old Mar 25th 2008, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

better tell that to the 2 previous companies i have worked for...one is a massive international company of 108,000 employees worldwide..

O/P dont worry about this, LOADS of companies do this, and in my understanding its been going on for years and the actual chance of getting caught are zero, zilch, big fat nil....

Disclaimer: dont blame me if you get 4 years in the can for it...
Yes its been going on for years but in the last 6 months there has been a huge clamp down and the labour dept are making visits so there is a big chance of getting caught and being fined and blacklisted
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:58 am
Just Joined

How can i shop my company in? Who do I report it to? How soon would the authorities respond??