Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

employment terminated in Abu Dhabi

employment terminated in Abu Dhabi

Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

niddy is on a distinguished road
Default employment terminated in Abu Dhabi

I was informed yesterday that my employment of over 4 months now has been terminated by my lawfirm (I'm a lawyer). I haven't gone in to discuss my rights etc but I was still in my probation period (which is 6 months long). FYI, I was dismissed for reasons unrelated to work quality, but because I voiced dissatisfaction with the kind of work I have been given since my arrival and the lack of professional development. So I will be getting paid for the next one month notice period without having to work. A few questions (some of which I probably know the answer to) for the veterans here who know of anything similar as I'd like to have an idea of my rights before going in:

1- Would any vacation entitlement be added to the one month notice period?

2- The office manager has asked for my passport and labor card so she can have the visa and labor card terminated. Do I have to give her these? If and when my visa gets canceled what will my status be? (I am a U.S. citizen)

3- I want to stay in Abu Dhabi and will be looking at the other law firms that are around. Any advice as to how to avoid dismissal details? What to do if they want a reference?

Thanks guys.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: employment terminated in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by niddy
I was informed yesterday that my employment of over 4 months now has been terminated by my lawfirm (I'm a lawyer). I haven't gone in to discuss my rights etc but I was still in my probation period (which is 6 months long). FYI, I was dismissed for reasons unrelated to work quality, but because I voiced dissatisfaction with the kind of work I have been given since my arrival and the lack of professional development. So I will be getting paid for the next one month notice period without having to work. A few questions (some of which I probably know the answer to) for the veterans here who know of anything similar as I'd like to have an idea of my rights before going in:

1- Would any vacation entitlement be added to the one month notice period?

2- The office manager has asked for my passport and labor card so she can have the visa and labor card terminated. Do I have to give her these? If and when my visa gets canceled what will my status be? (I am a U.S. citizen)

3- I want to stay in Abu Dhabi and will be looking at the other law firms that are around. Any advice as to how to avoid dismissal details? What to do if they want a reference?

Thanks guys.
Sorry to hear your bad news. Have never been in your situation - a few things I'd worry about:

a) Accomodation - where will you stay whilst you look for work? Is it a company appartment that you're in?

b) Visa - you may have to leave the country & re-enter on a visit visa. A trip to Oman would sort this??

c) I think you'll need a Letter of No Objection from your current employer - references are unavoidable, then....
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

I can stay in the apartment for another month. A friend has offered me a place to stay after that if needed.

I was told in the termination e-mail that I am free to take-up employment elsewhere at the end of my one month notice. But, do you think I should still get a letter of no objection?

I will try and secure references of the senior people I got along with. Hope this should not be a problem.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:13 am
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Location: Originally Cornwall, 12 years in the Middle East, NSW now
sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

sorry to hear your news

(b) when you're terminated and your Visa is cancelled, you have 30 days from the date of cancellation, to do what needs to be done and then leave. (It's not like you're marched out the country with your napsack )

However, as Brits just before the end of the 30 day 'grace period' we left for the Oman border trip (in a rental car with oman insurance) and returned on visit visas, not sure how it works for US Citizens
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:24 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

if you have been on a visa for less than one year, I am sure immigration automatically ban you for a whole year
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Blue Cat, are you sure about this?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:38 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niddy
Blue Cat, are you sure about this?
yes I am, I am just thinking who would be able to confirm it or where you could find it in black and white. It has nothing to do with the employer, it is an immigration thing. You must have know an employment lawyer you can speak to
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Just read the law. Spoke to a friend who says you can get an exception despite what the law says. Have been calling immigration repeatedly to get an answer but the sponsor's department doesn't like to answer their phones. Typical!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
yes I am, I am just thinking who would be able to confirm it or where you could find it in black and white. It has nothing to do with the employer, it is an immigration thing. You must have know an employment lawyer you can speak to

less than one year employment = 6 month ban not a year

typing from experience

and banning does not mean you are banned from the country, you can still work on a visit visa..

Last edited by arbroath_abroad; Mar 18th 2008 at 10:33 am.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
if you have been on a visa for less than one year, I am sure immigration automatically ban you for a whole year
Immigration don't ban people. Its the Labour Ministry that ban you if you have worked less that 1 year and its only a 6 month ban.
Its no problem as you can pay a fee to get the ban removed. Alternatively if you find work with a Free Zone company the ban is irrelevant.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys. I just spoke to the Ministry of Labor. There are two scenarios and this is how it works:
1- If you secure a new employer then all you need is an NOC from old employer and new contract from new employer. You apply for transfer of sponsorship. There is no ban in this scenario.

2- If you do not have a new employer, you will get your visa canceled. You are in theory banned for 6 months (if working less than a year) which occurs automatically. You can get a NOC from old employer and then go to the labor permit department, pay 5,000 DHS and have the ban removed. You will have 30 days to leave the country etc. and reenter on visit visa or to a new employer if you have secured on.

Don't know why they don't have this info in the law itself or published any where on their websites. But, it is a bit of a relief. I just need to get that NOC now, which hopefully will not be too difficult to get.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:42 am
Concierge

my apologies about the year thing, yes it is six months, hope you get it sorted out though
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:34 pm
Banned

Old Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to behold

Good luck.

Gulf News has a legal summary

http://www.gulfnews.com/home/

Dont know if it is any use.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

ZeeLuton is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm working for a Dubai Media City Free Zone Company and for similar reasons ( lack of structured career progression etc etc ) wish to resign soon. Does anybody know if I will face a ban too? I have been working since November 2007

And do I have to surrender my Driving licence? and who arranges the cancellation of my Visa? I don't trust giving my passport to anybody in my company since they have a policy to hand on to employee passports and keep hem in a safe. (I still have mine though!)

Last edited by ZeeLuton; Mar 18th 2008 at 3:51 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZeeLuton
I'm working for a Dubai Media City Free Zone Company and for similar reasons ( lack of structured career progression etc etc ) wish to resign soon. Does anybody know if I will face a ban too? I have been working since November 2007

read above, i think your scenario is covered...

At absolute worst...6 months where your new employer will keep you on a visit visa....

Or as Ins has said you can buy out your ban..

dont worry about it....i have had 3 jobs here in as many years..

Never had any problems

edit: drivers license is YOURS...end of

the company have to cancel your visa thou

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.