Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Ejari Registration

Ejari Registration

Old Oct 29th 2013, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of
Default Ejari Registration

Seeing as I've just been and done it this morning and having spent several hours reading conflicting information about how to do it and documentation required. I thought I'd type up my guide to getting your Ejari sorted. It's not difficult and not too time consuming (took under an hour at the Municipality office, including waiting for the desk to open)

What is Ejari?

Ejari in practical terms is registering your rental contract with the relevant department of Dubai Municipality.

Why register?

Having your rental contract registered is now a requirement of Visa processing for family members who are here with you, your wife or husband or kids basically. Without one, expect problems with them getting a visa renewal.

If you have a dispute with your landlord you with need to have your rental contract registered in order to raise a complaint with RERA.

1) You should have the following documents with you

Emirates ID card
Copies of your passport photo page and residence visa page
Copy of title deed
Copy of DEWA bill or DEWA deposit receipt

If you don't have the title deed - don't panic, the documentation we got from the agent was a copy of the contract of sale of the apartment we are renting and this was accepted. I believe that if you go to a typing centre they will insist on the Title Deed or Municipality Affection copy (I never did find out exactly what that is..)

2) Got to a DM office that has an Ejari Desk - I would not recommend going to a typing center, as you will need additional documentation that is not necessary if you go to the DM office and you will have to wait a time for the paperwork to come back. I used the DM office opposite Noor Islamic Bank Metro station, and you get the registration certificate there and then.

3) Go to the touch screen machine at the entrance and take a ticket for the Ejari desk

4) Wait for your turn. We got there at 7.30 but the desk doesn't open till 8, there were only a couple of other people there doing registration at that time.

5) Say hello, smile and present your documents. You will be asked to fill in a simple registration form on which you have to fill in some basic details. The forms needs the unit no and plot number. The unit number is your apartment number, and the plot number you can get from the person you are dealing with.

6) Pay the fee - currently 195 DHS

7) You will be given a stamped and signed registration certificate for your rental contract.

N.B. If your company is renting the property, you will need a copy of the company's trade licence in addition to the other documents.

Documents I did not need:-

Landlords passport copy/person with Power of Attorney's passport copy
Municipality Affection Plan copy

Hope this of some help to someone who needs to get this done.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 7:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ejari Registration

Your LL ought to be doing this so no hassle at all. It has been around for some time too.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meow
Your LL ought to be doing this so no hassle at all. It has been around for some time too.
As well all know from bitter experience here, what a LL ought to do and what he actually does bear little relation to each other. First time I've ever seen 'LL' and 'no hassle at all' in the same sentence.

In my case the LL is in Libya and does not speak English there's not much point in my asking him to do anything about it. Property agent and LL's representative are as much use as a chocolate teapot as well, not even having a copy of the title deeds.

As far as I can see the LL doesn't have much to gain by registering the contract,just another cost as far as he's concerned. Does anyone know what a LL might stand to gain by registering the rental contract?

Yes, it has been around for some time, but only recently does it appear to be enforced as a visa condition for spouse visa renewal, so it may start affecting more people. If you have a visa renewal looming and your landlord is proving to be as useless as a lot of them here appear to be and mine , better to know how to get it done yourself rather than being stuck having to pay fines for an expired visa.

Just my thoughts... Meow I am sure you have a wonderful LL who has discharged all his responsibilites with regards to your property in a timely and proper manner
Old Oct 29th 2013, 8:18 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Mine does what he is supposed to do as I have pointed out the laws.

He is trained and knows what's best...
Old Oct 29th 2013, 8:18 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Much simpler and quicker to go to an approved typing centre. There are 3 right next to each other in Dragon Mart. Took 20 mins from giving them the paperwork to getting a text from the land registration saying it was done. Couple of printed copies given by the typing centre and you can access online.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikewot
Much simpler and quicker to go to an approved typing centre. There are 3 right next to each other in Dragon Mart. Took 20 mins from giving them the paperwork to getting a text from the land registration saying it was done. Couple of printed copies given by the typing centre and you can access online.
Simpler and quicker only if you have a copy of the title deeds/affection certificate - which I did not.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 6:32 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

you also need it to get a Du connection...
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:46 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Our building is owned by Wasl and they have an arrangement with RERA or the Lands Department or whoever it is, so they do the Ejari automatically when we renew the contract. We have to pay for it, of course...
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Our building is owned by Wasl and they have an arrangement with RERA or the Lands Department or whoever it is, so they do the Ejari automatically when we renew the contract. We have to pay for it, of course...
For them to do it electronically costs them 165 Dhm which they may reclaim from you plus a small admin fee.