Eid al-Fitr

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eid al-Fitr

Unfortunately Emirates doesn't permit customers to book according to the Islamic calendar, so I'm having difficulty booking something for Eid break!

Does anyone have half a clue if/when we're getting a holiday this year? (According to the Gregorian calendar, PLS!)

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Eid al-Fitr

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Unfortunately Emirates doesn't permit customers to book according to the Islamic calendar, so I'm having difficulty booking something for Eid break!

Does anyone have half a clue if/when we're getting a holiday this year? (According to the Gregorian calendar, PLS!)

10th Sept 1st day?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:03 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

We are off from Thursday 9th, return to work Monday 13th. That should be for all of Tecom.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
We are off from Thursday 9th, return to work Monday 13th. That should be for all of Tecom.
I've read a lot of contradicting dates.

But if Tecom are committed to 9-12 as holidays, I suspect may others will do the same.

Any others with the same dates as NL?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:49 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
I've read a lot of contradicting dates.

But if Tecom are committed to 9-12 as holidays, I suspect may others will do the same.

Any others with the same dates as NL?
Off 9th return 14th 'ceptin I'm taking a few days off so I'm really returning 19th.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive my ignorance, but if the start if Eid al Fitr is heralded by the appearance of the new moon, and given that the lunar cycle is precisely 28 days, why is the start of Eid al Fitr still unclear when we know exactly when Ramadan started?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

GolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by csdf
Forgive my ignorance, but if the start if Eid al Fitr is heralded by the appearance of the new moon, and given that the lunar cycle is precisely 28 days, why is the start of Eid al Fitr still unclear when we know exactly when Ramadan started?
Because the lunar cycle isn't exactly 28 days: it's 29.53 days. You could still possible to calculate scientifically on which day the new moon should first appear, but unless the moonsighting committee actually see the thing, it doesn't count as a new month.

BurpusMe's post does point out a pretty fundamental flaw in the system which I hadn't considered though...
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, OK. So even though everyone knows (to the nearest second) when the new moon is, unless it's actually sighted then it doesn't count? Strange, when you think that the Arabs contributed so much to astronomy in the first place.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
Strange, when you think that the Arabs contributed so much to astronomy in the first place.
Just out of interest....does Islam accept that the moon orbits the earth which orbits the sun?

If so, they may have the up on Christianity in that respect