Dubai Rental Law

Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Rental Law

This is our 14th renewal....

We are waiting for the 2009 'rental laws' to be announced before signing anything. My LL has verbally advised us that he has increased our rent by 5% and another 5% as 'service charge'. He is refusing to send/fax us the contract, instead wants us to visit his office with our pen and cheque book - as if.....lol
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG

We are waiting for the 2009 'rental laws' to be announced before signing anything. My LL has verbally advised us that he has increased our rent by 5% and another 5% as 'service charge'. He is refusing to send/fax us the contract, instead wants us to visit his office with our pen and cheque book - as if.....lol
yeah typical.
If he still maintains with that tact after the 2009 law has been announced, Id happily go to his office, show him my cheque book, pick up a pen, look at the contract..
Then I would simply stand up and walk out of his office with the unsigned contract.. then ask him to issue a new contract or its next stop rent committee..
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I've done that for the past 4 years and he then sends a new contract as per law. Last year he threatened not to provide any maintenance if we didn't pay up the additional 5% charges. We didn't, instead used all that money to tip the poor security guards, cleaners, maintenace guys during Eid and kept some aside for actuals. Service remained the same. Plan to do the same this year.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:40 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

our rental contract is here to be signed with a 5% increase included, and your right I just checked on gulf news, no announcement has been made yet?
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Not yet BC - may be announced by the end of this week or next hopefully....hubby as usual just wants to sign, pay and get it over with. Not me. I prefer the 'not a penny more not a penny less' way with the landlord.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:15 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Not yet BC - may be announced by the end of this week or next hopefully....hubby as usual just wants to sign, pay and get it over with. Not me. I prefer the 'not a penny more not a penny less' way with the landlord.
we haven't heard a word from our LL, which is good considering our currrent position
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
we haven't heard a word from our LL, which is good considering our currrent position
maybe he has become property insolvent and fled the country..
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:36 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by admon
maybe he has become property insolvent and fled the country..
maybe, I think he owns one of the big banks here
Old Jan 4th 2009, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

If your landlord is a local and in AD why do they try to flout the law soooo much considering they receive these flats for free (correct me if Im wrong but property ownership in Abu Dhabi previously only changed hands via inheritance) and quite probably already has 100 carat rose-flavoured diamonds popping out of his arse every couple of days? I understand having a business mindset but not to this extent. Ethics dont exist in the Arab world or...?

If the landlord is a foreign investor like mine, I can understand it a little more... but not much.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
If your landlord is a local and in AD why do they try to flout the law soooo much considering they receive these flats for free (correct me if Im wrong but property ownership in Abu Dhabi previously only changed hands via inheritance) and quite probably already has 100 carat rose-flavoured diamonds popping out of his arse every couple of days? I understand having a business mindset but not to this extent. Ethics dont exist in the Arab world or...?

If the landlord is a foreign investor like mine, I can understand it a little more... but not much.
Ethics
Old Jan 5th 2009, 3:50 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Ethics
I need to lie down
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding of the rental law is as follows:
Your landlord is permitted to raise your rent 5% every OTHER year.

Eg.

Year 1: Price X
Year 2: Price X + 5%
Year 3: Price X + 5% (No further increase)
Year 4: Price X + 5% + 5%
Year 5: Price X + 5% + 5% (No further increase)
Year 6: Price X + 5% + 5% + 5%
Year 7: Price X + 5% + 5% + 5% (No further increase)

Does anyone else have the same understanding?
Have I been smoking drugs?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
yes they can increase it, you get it fixed for the first two years, then in the third year they can increase it the 5%
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Ethics
Dubai real estate is HIGHLY ethical*.

* In accordance with Scientology's definition

According to the Church of Scientology, "Ethics may be defined as the actions an individual takes on himself to ensure his continued survival across the dynamics. It is a personal thing. When one is ethical, it is something he does himself by his own choice."

Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BurpusMe

Eg.

Yep, thats the 2008 law as I see it.
Could still change the format for 2009 though...
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BurpusMe

Eg.

You are right. That has been the case every year since the 'rent laws' were introduced. We had an increase of 5% last year, he wants another 5% this year, I'm waiting for the 2009 rent law. Why can't they announce it by 31/12so that everyone can get on with renewing their contracts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.