Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai, the Police Fire and Ambulance services...

Dubai, the Police Fire and Ambulance services...

Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:59 am
Just Joined

FOXPRESIDENT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai, the Police Fire and Ambulance services...

Hello all,

I am hoping you may be able to help me. I'm in the UK and my organisation is offering someone the opportunity to visit Dubai for two weeks in September/October to study the Dubai Police Force (am police staff). It's a scheme they are starting up. The sucessful canidate has to study some part of Dubai's police which would be benefiical to my force, myself and perhaps my area of employment.

As I work in Communications, I was wondering what your perception of Dubai Police is, have you ever had a need to ring them and speak to them on the phone - 999? Or perhaps the fire/ambulance services. OR Non-Emergency police.

Also what is the weather like in dubai around the time, i've got to put together a short description of what I want to do and how it would benefit me. I'm sure they will be plenty of other applicants, so the competition I think would be quite tough.

I've had a nifty at some of the other threads about the Police and also violence in Dubai.

Thank you if you can offer any help.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:02 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai, the Police Fire and Ambulance services...

there is zero comparison to the UK Police force, though I am sure they do their best. Put it this way you can undertake a police car, with no seat belt whilst talking on your mobile phone and won't get stopped

I have had to call them. We got broken into a few years ago. The villa we were living in at that time was basically villa locked if that makes sense. The only way of entry was through the front. We were broken into via the back door so it was obviously someone on the compound that had done it. Our suspicions were the house boy who lived next door (later confirmed). Eventually the Police showed up - I called them at least 4 times, then they didn't know where we lived so we had to meet them at the local co-op they came and walked round and round and then came to conclusion that someone had come into the front garden and scaled up the front of the villa over the roof and into the back yard, gaining entry to the back door - I lost my temper and said 'who was it? F******* Spiderman!'.

There is nothing worth studying here that will be beneficial to your Police Force, more likely to be the other way round. Come for the holiday though!

Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:30 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

I have had to call the police a few times for RTA's and I have to say that whilst they may take a while to get there they took no longer than the police in the UK took last time I had to call them. When they do turn up I have always found them to be pretty good.
That said I'm not sure if theres anything to learn from them if your from a uk police force. They dont deal with a lot of hoodies/junkies or underage drinking here and alcohol related violence on the weekend is an exception rather than the rule. Breakins and vandalism are also rare. These things do happen but the rate is far lower than in a similar sized population in the Uk.

What you could learn is complete zero tolerance policing where you have the power of god over a subsector of the population where you can beat rape deport etc without any fear of admonishment.
From a drugs policing point of view its a dream. If your sensors can detect a drug then regardless of how small an amount its a minimum madatory sentence of 4 yrs with no appeal.

to your original question of telephoning them....yes that can be a bit of an effort, but then again i dont speak enough arabic so thats arguably my fault not theirs. weather at the moment is perfect for you ****ing freezing for us lol
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

FOXPRESIDENT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi thanks very much for the replies it's appreciated.

I'm sure there will be something interesting to learn. I presumed they would be scope for me to give my professional advice to them.

As Ex-Pats if you were to contact them do you think they may be need english speaking staff?
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:59 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FOXPRESIDENT
Hi thanks very much for the replies it's appreciated.

I'm sure there will be something interesting to learn. I presumed they would be scope for me to give my professional advice to them.

As Ex-Pats if you were to contact them do you think they may be need english speaking staff?
In a word I would say no. The Police force here was originally set up by a British Commander and a team of very high up PC's from the London Met. That would have been about 30 years ago or so. From what I have heard they were here for some time but were only involved in the setting up of the Departments etc and training off the police. My friend is a PO in the UK, the last time she was here we tried to get into the Police College here, with her ID card, they were having none of it. Quite funny actually but it was more of a test than anything else. If you want more information about the situation here I suggest you try searching the archives of the Gulf News newspaper.

I personally would long to see the Traffic Department taken over by the British Police force - boy would they be busy!!!