Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Marina - what buildings are good?

Dubai Marina - what buildings are good?

Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

maddie2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai Marina - what buildings are good?

Hi,
I'm new to Dubai and have been looking at some appartments and would appreciate your opinions on what these buildings are like:

Panoramic Tower
Crown Residence
Marina View Towers

Thanks!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:55 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Marina - what buildings are good?

never heard of Panoramic Tower before... nor the others really. Are they brand new?

If they are, go visit them, check out the pools (are they open), the gym and any other facilities they say they offer. Make sure they have easy access (some are through sand roads). If anyone so much as says "yes, mam, next month!" walk away... unless it's cheap and you don't mind not having those facilities at any point during your tenancy.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:58 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

A few good buildings
- Jewels
- Dora Bay
- Marina Heights
- Marina Quays
- Marina Promenade
- Park Island
- Iris Bleu
- The original six that are on the Marina walk
- Trident buildings
- Ocean Heights

there are others as well, Marina View Towers are ok as well. It's true that if you go for a new building and the facilities aren't finished, you might run the risk of being without a pool/gym for a long time.

It's not all to do with the building, it also depends on your landlord and how he handles the maintenance. A new building is nice, but there can be a lot of snags and you'll be the one to find out about those.

Not sure if it's still the case, but some time ago Horizon tower, which has very big apartments for a good price, didn't have any water in the pool, agent said it was just for maintenance, but in fact there was no money for maintenance so that pool just stood empty for months.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:07 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
Not sure if it's still the case, but some time ago Horizon tower, which has very big apartments for a good price, didn't have any water in the pool, agent said it was just for maintenance, but in fact there was no money for maintenance so that pool just stood empty for months.
They've just fixed that (as in the last month) and filled it again. Story was that the building hadn't got the funds and was asking the LLs for more money, who in turn were rightly saying "that's what our service charge should be used for"... mega stand-off and ofc the tenants get the raw deal.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:21 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
They've just fixed that (as in the last month) and filled it again. Story was that the building hadn't got the funds and was asking the LLs for more money, who in turn were rightly saying "that's what our service charge should be used for"... mega stand-off and ofc the tenants get the raw deal.
oh ok, well that's good news, lol...

it does happen that tenants get into trouble cause landlords/owners are not paying their service charges and building management then take away the right of the tenants to use the pool, gym etc or use of the parking garage, which is totally unfair as the tenants are paying their rent as per the lease...
Old Aug 29th 2011, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road

I live in Marina Heights Tower.

Basically it's a good building with a great pool and gym but recently we've had leaks from the aircon pipes in the bathroom. Building manager said the insulation on these was (a) not the correct thickness when installed (cost cutting) and (b) not installed quite correctly (what a surprise). Now the building is 5 yrs old, a lot of these pipes are beginning to fail as they have rusted due to the original inefficiency. It seems we're lucky the leak appeared in a bathroom (tiled) ceiling and not in a plasterboard living room or bedroom, which is happening in other flats, where people are loosing TVs and other stuff with leaks appearing right above them.

The problem is appearing in many appartments and I get the feeling it's only a matter of time before it gets worse. (it's already appeared in a bedroom in our flat too). What should happen is to replace all of them but that's just not possible and the building management said that it's just a case of patching up what they can when it happens. I pity my landlord - I can move but he's stuck with the problem.

This in itself is not currently a major problem for me but seeing as there are so many other buildings coming online, we're going to look around whilst it's a renter's market and try to get into a newer building which (hopefully) won't have similar problems. I understand there are very reasonable prices to be had in new buildings nearby. I realise that there are other problems we could face like empty pools but having done 3 years here now I like to think I've got a handle on what to look out for. Fingers crossed at least!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:43 am
Just Joined

HGordo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shandolier
I live in Marina Heights Tower.

Basically it's a good building with a great pool and gym but recently we've had leaks from the aircon pipes in the bathroom. Building manager said the insulation on these was (a) not the correct thickness when installed (cost cutting) and (b) not installed quite correctly (what a surprise). Now the building is 5 yrs old, a lot of these pipes are beginning to fail as they have rusted due to the original inefficiency. It seems we're lucky the leak appeared in a bathroom (tiled) ceiling and not in a plasterboard living room or bedroom, which is happening in other flats, where people are loosing TVs and other stuff with leaks appearing right above them.

The problem is appearing in many appartments and I get the feeling it's only a matter of time before it gets worse. (it's already appeared in a bedroom in our flat too). What should happen is to replace all of them but that's just not possible and the building management said that it's just a case of patching up what they can when it happens. I pity my landlord - I can move but he's stuck with the problem.

This in itself is not currently a major problem for me but seeing as there are so many other buildings coming online, we're going to look around whilst it's a renter's market and try to get into a newer building which (hopefully) won't have similar problems. I understand there are very reasonable prices to be had in new buildings nearby. I realise that there are other problems we could face like empty pools but having done 3 years here now I like to think I've got a handle on what to look out for. Fingers crossed at least!
Hi shandolier, I am moving to Dubai in January and looking to lease an appartment in Marina. Are you able to give me a couple of the names for the new buildings that are coming along?

Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2011, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road

There are some new ones that have just been opened. There's Marina Torch, Marina Pinnacle and MAG 218 which is no more than a year old. All well located too. There should be lots of landlords quite keen to get someone in to pay the mortgage!