Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Internet City - waiting list?

Dubai Internet City - waiting list?

Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:00 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai Internet City - waiting list?

After much research and a couple of visits to Dubai, my company has put in an application to start a company at DIC.

The DIC web site says the first initial approval phase takes 3 days. It's now 2 weeks since we applied. Have followed up once but no response. I'm a bit worried now to be honest.

We've done a lot of research and spent a lot of time and getting to this position. I'm getting the distinct impression that despite the tone of their web site and the encouraging words from their sales guys, DIC is basically full, finished and the govt there have moved onto other big new ideas and are no longer interested in this one.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:07 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Dubai Internet City - waiting list?

Originally Posted by captainflack
After much research and a couple of visits to Dubai, my company has put in an application to start a company at DIC.

The DIC web site says the first initial approval phase takes 3 days. It's now 2 weeks since we applied. Have followed up once but no response. I'm a bit worried now to be honest.

We've done a lot of research and spent a lot of time and getting to this position. I'm getting the distinct impression that despite the tone of their web site and the encouraging words from their sales guys, DIC is basically full, finished and the govt there have moved onto other big new ideas and are no longer interested in this one.
Good Luck Captain,
Our experience...Hubby applied for space at DIC for his new firm back in Jan. '04 and was promised it would be available by June '04. That kept getting pushed back and they gave him a cubicle in the "Hotel" area, where all the waiting people have a little space. Finally, he got lucky and in late October/early November someone went belly-up and he got their office. He's very happy with it and even got to purchase the existing interiors, which saved him a lot of time. But let's just say it was a very frustrating experience and the guy who makes the promises, can't remember his name, is often hard to reach if he doesn't want to talk to you.
Good Luck, it is a gorgeous facility and growing in leaps and bounds.
Cheers, Tami
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:24 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your comments. It certainly looks a fantastic place... do you recall how long the initial application took to be approved? We haven't even got to the difficult part yet - submitting notarized docs etc., which is when I thought things might get tricky. This is step 1 and it's looking like it could take an indefinite period.

Guess I'm just thinking if the process takes 3 weeks (say), why put it as 3 days on their site? It doesn't inspire confidence!

We'd happily work from home or temp offices for a few months or even a year - we just desperately want to get the company started so we can start transferring much of our turnover and online work to Dubai. If this is just the first step it's looking like the next steps are going to be real slogs. We planned to have things set up by November this year - seemed to be plenty of time but I can see these hold ups all chipping away at it.

Is this typical of how things are done in Dubai? I'm having a few concerns about how much of the other information we've based our plans on needs to be reassessed more realistically.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nice

Captain, take ito consideration we're on holiday here and after the death of Shk Zayed nothing has recovered it's full momentum, we have short breaks all thru the last 3 months and this country has a Manyana approach to a lot of things. Just take it in your stride
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:29 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

hi captain flack.welcome to the site. It is true that there is hardly any room for new companies at DIC, but the government hast moved on. There are plans to expand the project.... it isnt finished just yet. On the opposite side of the highway is where they will build the next phase.... obviously work on this next phase is yet to begin.

And have u heard of the Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Techno Park? Here is an article I found for u.... has an e-mail contact at the bottom:

Mohammed Bin Rashid Technology Park Planned
Dubai, one of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), is the future home of the Mohammed Bin Rashid Technology Park. Named for the emirate's crown prince, the 3-square-kilometer park, located in the Jebel Ali Free Zone, will offer technology research and manufacturing firms around the globe tax-exempt status and the opportunity to work in proximity with similar industries.

Aerial view of Dubai's Jebel Ali Free Zone, where the Mohammed Bin Rashid Technology Park will be located. [PHOTO: Jebel Ali Free Zone Authority]

Dubai, a major force in international trade, is now looking to become a regional hub for technology. According to Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem, executive chairman of Dubai's Ports, Customs & Free Zone Corporation, the park "will enhance the development of the knowledge-based economy."
RTI is helping Dubai develop a business plan and unifying vision for the park. Project leader Dr. Jim McCullough and other RTI staff are working to identify potential tenants and to pinpoint resources and markets available to them.
To date, MenaLink, a technology transfer leader, has indicated it will launch a business accelerator in the park. The accelerator will provide resources and consulting to new ventures to help them get established. Several prominent U.S., Russian, and Middle Eastern organizations and industrial service providers from North America, Europe, Scandinavia, and Asia also have expressed interest in becoming tenants. Among potential residents are the Gas Technology Institute, the leading U.S. institute for natural gas research and development; the Manufacturing Extension Partnership; the U.S. Department of Energy's Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory; RNGS (a Russian gas and oil technology developer); and the Middle East Development Company.
RTI's involvement in the project marks the first time the Institute has worked in the UAE, furthering its goal to promote the transfer of knowledge and expertise worldwide.

More information: Jim McCullough, e-mail [email protected]

maybe u cud look into that? hope that helps.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:31 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your comments. It certainly looks a fantastic place... do you recall how long the initial application took to be approved? We haven't even got to the difficult part yet - submitting notarized docs etc., which is when I thought things might get tricky. This is step 1 and it's looking like it could take an indefinite period.

Guess I'm just thinking if the process takes 3 weeks (say), why put it as 3 days on their site? It doesn't inspire confidence!

We'd happily work from home or temp offices for a few months or even a year - we just desperately want to get the company started so we can start transferring much of our turnover and online work to Dubai. If this is just the first step it's looking like the next steps are going to be real slogs. We planned to have things set up by November this year - seemed to be plenty of time but I can see these hold ups all chipping away at it.

Is this typical of how things are done in Dubai? I'm having a few concerns about how much of the other information we've based our plans on needs to be reassessed more realistically.
Sorry, I don't really remember how long it took. We were living and working in Saudi Arabia at the time and Hubby knew he wouldn't be able to start the new firm until he officially finished his contract in KSA, so we weren't really pushing it for a while there. Then, when he really needed the space, he couldn't get it. He did work from home for quite a while and just used the address and email and stuff of DIC. But I have to say he's very happy with the space now and loves being able to show his clients and investors into his beautiful offices.
Again, Good Luck! Tami
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:39 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

Thanks for the info on holidays etc. I guess I'll give it a bit longer then maybe phone to speak to somebody if still no info on what's going on. I visited a couple of months back and everything seemed to work like clockwork - very professional and organized. This was one of the factors that really impressed me, I guess that's why I was a little concerned about DIC.

The tech park looks interesting but we're a software developer for internet software so we fit much more cleanly into the DIC categories.

Certainly with all the apartments they're building they're going to need to keep the flow of new companies coming in to ensure they have punters to fill them!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 6:29 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

hi, hang in there is all i can say.
from what i know dic, media city and knowledge village are all full at the moment but the whole place is also currently a building site as they try put up buildings as fast as they can. there probably just stringing you along until the cement drys, but you will get an office when they finish building it and out here that doesnt take long
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:19 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shiva
hi, hang in there is all i can say.
from what i know dic, media city and knowledge village are all full at the moment but the whole place is also currently a building site as they try put up buildings as fast as they can. there probably just stringing you along until the cement drys, but you will get an office when they finish building it and out here that doesnt take long
nice 2 c someone that is up2date on current development. well reported!

supposed to snow here on monday..... they are whinging about it on the radio... they wont stop complaining! i havent seen snow for ages!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

smartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the rough

I know of a person with about 820 sq. ft. in Dubai Media City (Loft Offices) that is parting shortly. But he wants some key money from anyone that doesn't want to wait and get an office now.

If you are interested pm me and i'll see if i can help.

Cheers,

D
Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:26 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

I followed up by phone and they said they will send me the initial approval in the next 3 days by fax, so will keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully that means were approved, even if its only a verbal 'yes' at this stage.

Now have to start working on getting the rest of the documents they require together, but at least with initial approval we have more confidence to start making other plans.

Guess if the whole thing was too easy it wouldn't be half as satisfying when I actually get to Dubai to start work.

Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:41 am
The Oracle

I followed up by phone and they said they will send me the initial approval in the next 3 days by fax, so will keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully that means were approved, even if its only a verbal 'yes' at this stage.

Now have to start working on getting the rest of the documents they require together, but at least with initial approval we have more confidence to start making other plans.

Guess if the whole thing was too easy it wouldn't be half as satisfying when I actually get to Dubai to start work.

lol. true. best of luck.