Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai international City

Dubai international City

Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai international City

I live way out in The Ranches,and I love it!...If God had intended us to walk he wouldnt have invented Taxi's.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:20 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

I have a colleague who has recently rented in International City.

1. He said the build finish is terrible. He's had maintenance guys out 7-8 times in the space of a month to fix various things.

2. The place smells of sewage. He reckons it is not actually the sewage plant which some rocket scientist decided to locate right next to a major housing development (it's not like Dubai is running out of worthless desert!?). The bods that run the place say it is the building work (metro i think he said) that is digging into sand that is full of sewage.

He has been told that the building will finish in 6 months after which International City will no doubt smell once again like an alpine forest glade.

Thankfully as we know all building work in Dubai finishes bang on schedule and everything is always as good or better than promised, and developers would never dream of giving an unrealistic and over-optimistic estimation of when a problem might be resolved.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack

1. He said the build finish is terrible. He's had maintenance guys out 7-8 times in the space of a month to fix various things.

2. The place smells of sewage. He reckons it is not actually the sewage plant which some rocket scientist decided to locate right next to a major housing development (it's not like Dubai is running out of worthless desert!?). The bods that run the place say it is the building work (metro i think he said) that is digging into sand that is full of sewage.

He has been told that the building will finish in 6 months after which International City will no doubt smell once again like an alpine forest glade.

Thankfully as we know all building work in Dubai finishes bang on schedule and everything is always as good or better than promised, and developers would never dream of giving an unrealistic and over-optimistic estimation of when a problem might be resolved.
'the build finish is terrible'. Welcome to Dubai. Isn't it bad everywhere?
Pay peanuts, get monkeys. It fits dubai construction to a tee.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:56 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
somewhere I can see another person if I walk for 15 mins

I live just off Al Diyafah Road. Without doubt THE best location in Dubai

PROS:
15 mins walk from the beach and the beach road
5 mins walk from more than 20 restaurants selling lots of different cuisines
10 mins walk from the best salad restaurant in Dubai
15 mins walk from several bars
15 mins from the airport and 20 mins from MoE and 20 mins from bur dubai
You can walk to SZR in 20 mins
the hustle and bustle (not to mention the fantastic shopping) of Satwa high street is 10 mins walk
It has character (well until the Dubai 'make everything look like the Springs' campaign comes into effect)

CONS:
None

PS - I also think International City will be an excellent place in about a year to 18 months
I am going 'home' for the weekend, you up for a shwarma at Al Mulla
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:58 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor
I live way out in The Ranches,and I love it!...If God had intended us to walk he wouldnt have invented Taxi's.
but you haven't really lived in real Dubai, you are just living on an American style housing estate designed by Emaar to con people into investing into their properties. It's ok for some but not me. If I had a choice I would be in Satwa or in Jumierah 1 with MM
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

errrm forgive me if I am wrong but I seem to remember the sewerage works have been there long before they started to build IC.. friends at the Desert Palm have moaned about it for years!!!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:39 pm

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Well nothing has broken in my place touch wood. As for the sewage works being built next to IC, I think the works were there first, hence being decommisioned in 2012. That's why you only smell it when the wind comes from that direction. Nothing to do with the Metro......or you'd smell it where the Metro is being built. I doubt International City will be finished in 6 months, more like 2 years!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:50 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coxy the Bear
Well nothing has broken in my place touch wood. As for the sewage works being built next to IC, I think the works were there first, hence being decommisioned in 2012. That's why you only smell it when the wind comes from that direction. Nothing to do with the Metro......or you'd smell it where the Metro is being built. I doubt International City will be finished in 6 months, more like 2 years!
My colleague said he'd gone right up next to the sewage works and the smell was not coming from there. He was convinced it was the building work, and from what I recall him saying, that is what Nakheel (I think) had told him. He said his place he gets maybe an hour each night where it is really bad, but his friend lives in one of the other 'countries' (I cannot recall which one) and the smell is pretty much permanent.

It does seem bizarre that they would choose to build something right next to a sewage works. I am pretty sure last time I flew in to Dubai I saw quite a few empty spaces without waste treatment plants, nerve gas factories, toxic waste dumps, nuclear power stations, etc.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

sorry but the smell from the sewerage plant has been bothering people at the Desert Palm for years..long before they started building the metro!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:41 pm
W10

I'd be slightly less annoyed about the build quality in an apartment I'd paid dh400,000 for, than exactly the same problems in a building I'd paid dh3m+ for.

Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:42 pm
W10

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
but you haven't really lived in real Dubai, you are just living on an American style housing estate designed by Emaar to con people into investing into their properties. It's ok for some but not me. If I had a choice I would be in Satwa or in Jumierah 1 with MM
They rarely come up with anything as soulless as AR/Springs/Jumeirah Lake whatever in the US. It's a special Gulf thing

Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I love Al Dhiyafah, Al Fahidi .... The only charming bits (apart from Satwa, Safa etc) left from the 'old' Dubai. They're about to destroy all this too

The difference between the spanking new buildings on SZR and the area behind this road (just 2 parallel roads behind SZR- on the Fairmont/Holiday Inn side) is striking. I know which one I prefer....
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:38 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by W10
They rarely come up with anything as soulless as AR/Springs/Jumeirah Lake whatever in the US. It's a special Gulf thing
Have you been to the retirement communities in parts of Florida recently? Equally soul-less in my opinion.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Have you been to the retirement communities in parts of Florida recently? Equally soul-less in my opinion.

Think W10 was not comparing Florida and Dubai....so not sure why Florida cropped up in this thread

Anyway now that you brought it up - look what happened to the property market in Florida.......
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:35 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IndieG
Think W10 was not comparing Florida and Dubai....so not sure why Florida cropped up in this thread

Anyway now that you brought it up - look what happened to the property market in Florida.......
W10 was saying that the USA has no soul-less communities of the type found here...hence my remark. Last time I looked, Florida was still a part of the USA and had not been ceded to Cuba.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.