Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai: I found a baby bird!!! :|

Dubai: I found a baby bird!!! :|

Old Apr 18th 2009, 5:47 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dubai: I found a baby bird!!! :|

Originally Posted by gilly-beans
It won't stop sleeping. I can't get it to open it's mouth. It just sits three, wrapped up. My father said it would be best to 'let it go' but i can't. I want to try everything I can.
Baby bird - I didn't mean newborn. It has feathers and it likes to climb out of the 'nest' and spread out it's wings. Rarely does it opens it's eyes, i have trouble waking it up to feed it. It still hasn't eaten/drunk anything....
Should I force open it's mouth!!!!?????
Has it pooped anything? Obviously there is nothing going in, so there probably wont be anything coming out, but thought I'd check anyway. Some birds will not take food unless they have pooped first. try taking a damp eice of toilet tissue and wiping its behind.. that may stimulate it to go.

If its getting out of its nest and spreading its wings thats a good sign. If its not taking food, and if you are feeling brave enough, you could try to pen its beak (bottom part moves down) about a cm, and insert the syringe with food. If you havent been able to get the food, get a pint of luke warm water and dissolve 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt, and try to give it a little of that. this will give it more energy.

As others have said, if it doesnt seem to be getting better, you could take it to the vet. they will probably put it down. BTW it IS possible to rehabilitate a baby bird and put it back in the wild.. i volunteer in such a facility!!!

If its trying to fly (jumping around), keep it in a large box, and wedge in some sticks to act as perches that it can hop up to and fly between.

Admitiedly, you should prepare yourself for the fact that there is often only a 40% survival and release possibility.

Well done and good luck though!
Old Apr 18th 2009, 5:55 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
Has it pooped anything? Obviously there is nothing going in, so there probably wont be anything coming out, but thought I'd check anyway. Some birds will not take food unless they have pooped first. try taking a damp eice of toilet tissue and wiping its behind.. that may stimulate it to go.

If its getting out of its nest and spreading its wings thats a good sign. If its not taking food, and if you are feeling brave enough, you could try to pen its beak (bottom part moves down) about a cm, and insert the syringe with food. If you havent been able to get the food, get a pint of luke warm water and dissolve 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt, and try to give it a little of that. this will give it more energy.

As others have said, if it doesnt seem to be getting better, you could take it to the vet. they will probably put it down. BTW it IS possible to rehabilitate a baby bird and put it back in the wild.. i volunteer in such a facility!!!

If its trying to fly (jumping around), keep it in a large box, and wedge in some sticks to act as perches that it can hop up to and fly between.

Admitiedly, you should prepare yourself for the fact that there is often only a 40% survival and release possibility. Well done and good luck though!

That's probably higher than a Bangladeshi labourer's chances all the same...
Call me a cynic
I am
Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

poshaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really nice

Good luck to you and the little chap! Hope it survives...
Old Apr 18th 2009, 7:33 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

In the Dubai Museum at roughly 7pm, there was a baby bird on the floor. Trying it's best to walk... it's wings randomly spreading out. After touring the place, i made an agreement with my parents that we could take it home. When i held it, it immedietly fell into a deep sleep... I thought it was dead. O_o
At home, I fed it water from a bottle cap (it wouldn't take the syringe) and tried to feed it carrot+potatoe soup (not salted). Then mashed bread+water, but it wouldn't eat it. It took perhaps three small gulps of water...
I check up on it every hour. Still breathing. It got cold inside, so i put it outside, loosely wrapped in a warm cloth. It warmed up.. Hasn't touched anymore food. I'm scared it will starve, but wouldn't it wake up and tweet. If it dies, it's best in it's sleep, good luck to it. Should i try to wake it up to feed it? Any suggestions??

I have put alarms at 2am, 4am, 6am, 7am and 8am to check on it... Sometimes it flaps it's small wings. It's about 10cm long and very thin...
To open its beak use the thumb and forefinger of say your left hand, and, with your other forefinger (or nails) open the beak near the tip...when slightly open slide your left hand forefinger and thumb towards the tip of the beak stopping a third the way up (this further opens the mouth). The mouth should now be open and held in this position.

Get an assistant or yourself to pick up some food (bread with some meat - mince- or seed) with a pair of tweezers and drop food deep into the mouth or at the back of the mouth. Then let go the beak. The bird should instintively gag or gulp the food down. Repeat a couple of times. Feed 3 to 4 hourly (the bird probably doesn't get fed at nighttime anyway in the wild)). Vary the food and also give water.

You know you will end up having a pet bird, though !
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:27 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

has it died yet??
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
has it died yet??
and people say I'm the nasty person on here..
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:35 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
and people say I'm the nasty person on here..
you are..

im wishing the bird is put out of its misery..
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Smoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud of

Excuse me but what are you waiting for to take it to a vet?? It is one of the hardest things to do - feeding a baby bird and if you have no experience, you will damage its crop and it will die in a lot of pain.

Why did you "rescue" it anyway - the mum would have been close by - the poor thing was probably learning how to fly or simply fell out of its nest! The parents would have picked it up and put it back.

So now you have messed with nature, I think you really need to take it to a vet..... please!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:00 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

In the Dubai Museum at roughly 7pm, there was a baby bird on the floor. Trying it's best to walk... it's wings randomly spreading out. After touring the place, i made an agreement with my parents that we could take it home. When i held it, it immedietly fell into a deep sleep... I thought it was dead. O_o
At home, I fed it water from a bottle cap (it wouldn't take the syringe) and tried to feed it carrot+potatoe soup (not salted). Then mashed bread+water, but it wouldn't eat it. It took perhaps three small gulps of water...
I check up on it every hour. Still breathing. It got cold inside, so i put it outside, loosely wrapped in a warm cloth. It warmed up.. Hasn't touched anymore food. I'm scared it will starve, but wouldn't it wake up and tweet. If it dies, it's best in it's sleep, good luck to it. Should i try to wake it up to feed it? Any suggestions??

I have put alarms at 2am, 4am, 6am, 7am and 8am to check on it... Sometimes it flaps it's small wings. It's about 10cm long and very thin...
Have you considered having it with chips and gravy?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Smoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Have you considered having it with chips and gravy?
What a horrible man
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:23 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl
What a horrible man
Spugsy likes everything with chips and gravy....
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:27 am
banned

What a horrible man
exactly, chips and mayo is a lot better when devouring a spuggy.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:28 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me but what are you waiting for to take it to a vet?? It is one of the hardest things to do - feeding a baby bird and if you have no experience, you will damage its crop and it will die in a lot of pain.

Why did you "rescue" it anyway - the mum would have been close by - the poor thing was probably learning how to fly or simply fell out of its nest! The parents would have picked it up and put it back.

So now you have messed with nature, I think you really need to take it to a vet..... please!
...er...putting food to the back of the mouth with blunt tweezers or even a match stick will not damage the crop, which is located in the throat and upper thoracic area. Though, a vet would also show you how to feed it.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

And is that going to be sterilised food? I write about this because I had made the mistake of buying a baby parrot from the Souk in AD. Took her straight to BVC who said she was dying .......... 2 weeks later she was dead; I had only taken her home for one night after the first week she spent at the hospital.

The crop had already been damaged by the idiots in the souk and feeding her baby formula which was kept in a saucer on top of an aquarium certainly didn't help her :curse:

Which is why I'm suggesting she takes the bird to a vet .......... sorry if I've upset anyone but that's how I feel
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:14 am
banned

And is that going to be sterilised food? I write about this because I had made the mistake of buying a baby parrot from the Souk in AD. Took her straight to BVC who said she was dying .......... 2 weeks later she was dead; I had only taken her home for one night after the first week she spent at the hospital.

The crop had already been damaged by the idiots in the souk and feeding her baby formula which was kept in a saucer on top of an aquarium certainly didn't help her :curse:

Which is why I'm suggesting she takes the bird to a vet .......... sorry if I've upset anyone but that's how I feel
so, did you eat your parrot?

if so did you use gravy or mayo? or maybe some nando's spicy sauce?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.