Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai house price crash - 41% in Q1 2009

Dubai house price crash - 41% in Q1 2009

Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:44 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai house price crash - 41% in Q1 2009

Originally Posted by diablo
Hold on there; August 2008 we made the agreement for K200??? Why would he be an idiot? How much did you pay for your place and how big is it? This is a 300m2 place.

As for the increase, well I have to; the mtce fees went up by 100% (from AED 9 to AED 15 / sqft); an increase of about K20. I had them in the apartment for K200 when everyone was charging K250. Well I'll ask to increase what's within legal limits - 10% (K20). If they think it's not OK they can leave and I am OK with that. It's their choice. (If they tell me to fck myself I'll have them fall into the elevator shaft onto some passing bullets.) I'll then sell the apartment and buy some office space
Out of interest, who would you sell too?????
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:51 pm

diablo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Out of interest, who would you sell too?????
If I had the money I would buy an apartment or two now or perhaps in September. Even if the banks offer loans with say 10% deposit on a low interest rate I would buy again. So to answer your question, I guess to some naive dude like myself. Or the guy who's selling an office
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:53 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

As for the increase, well I have to; the mtce fees went up by 100% (from AED 9 to AED 15 / sqft); an increase of about K20. I had them in the apartment for K200 when everyone was charging K250. Well I'll ask to increase what's within legal limits - 10% (K20). If they think it's not OK they can leave and I am OK with that. It's their choice. (If they tell me to fck myself I'll have them fall into the elevator shaft onto some passing bullets.) I'll then sell the apartment and buy some office space
There were lots of BTLers saying this in the UK as rents fell. These are mostly people now enjoying voids, stuck in negative equity.

I've seen people trying to offload 4 bed places in JBR for under 2 million...
Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Qataruser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by typical
There were lots of BTLers saying this in the UK as rents fell. These are mostly people now enjoying voids, stuck in negative equity.

I've seen people trying to offload 4 bed places in JBR for under 2 million...
The only people who still think Dubai's real eatate markets is in good shape are Agents and people still invested.

It's OVER and will be probably for ever. Too many people have been burnt and prices are still too high for anyone with any real sense to get involved.

WE will look back on the last few years and wonder, not went wrong thats clear, greed and stupidity, but just WTF were we ever thinking ?

I heard on another site a bloke had a cash buyer for his place over OP. He said he will "hang on" HELLO if someone offers u more NOW than u paid for it SELL.

This physcologly is why ordinary people should not buy shares, they go up people feel rich, they fall and people think it's ok they will go back up again.

Dubai IS the real estate DOT COM BUBBLE it's been said before and should be said again. Prices don't always come back, Emaar is NO google
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hold on there; August 2008 we made the agreement for K200??? Why would he be an idiot? How much did you pay for your place and how big is it? This is a 300m2 place.

You sound like one big freakin idiot.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:58 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

never had an issue with you Diablo or your investments, as you say earlier you could sell them for what you paid for them, which you may well be able to do as you got in at the beginning. As for re renting your four bed out for more than 200k - no chance. Apartment rentals, even the luxury ones have dropped by 50%. 2 bedroom apartments with sea views on the Palm are being rented at 130k which includes a beach club etc. Realistically if you can re rent at 200 I would think you are lucky. Hat's off to you if you do.

I don't want to see anyone lose money through the property crash that has happened here. Sadly those who invested in the last two years inevitably will unless they stay in for the long haul. A property is only worth as much as someone is prepared to pay/rent for it. You may well be lucky and someone may come along who has a company allowance of 200k and they will be happy to let their Company pay it for them, how long will they be around though? I am looking for a villa, found a few that are real nice, big three beds with shared pools, gyms and security etc for 180k and less. There are some nice 5 beds in Al Barsha, brand new -210k. Now if you had a choice between a 4 bed apartment or a 5 bed villa, I know where most people would put their money.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Qataruser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
never had an issue with you Diablo or your investments, as you say earlier you could sell them for what you paid for them, which you may well be able to do as you got in at the beginning. As for re renting your four bed out for more than 200k - no chance. Apartment rentals, even the luxury ones have dropped by 50%. 2 bedroom apartments with sea views on the Palm are being rented at 130k which includes a beach club etc. Realistically if you can re rent at 200 I would think you are lucky. Hat's off to you if you do.

I don't want to see anyone lose money through the property crash that has happened here. Sadly those who invested in the last two years inevitably will unless they stay in for the long haul. A property is only worth as much as someone is prepared to pay/rent for it. You may well be lucky and someone may come along who has a company allowance of 200k and they will be happy to let their Company pay it for them, how long will they be around though? I am looking for a villa, found a few that are real nice, big three beds with shared pools, gyms and security etc for 180k and less. There are some nice 5 beds in Al Barsha, brand new -210k. Now if you had a choice between a 4 bed apartment or a 5 bed villa, I know where most people would put their money.
Bluecat you are right there. I would not like to be holding a 3/4 bed apartment right now as their prices have to fall a long way.

If you read this article about the UK and replace the UK with Dubai you have the situation here. Scary stuff

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-hammered.html
Old May 1st 2009, 4:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Qataruser
Bluecat you are right there. I would not like to be holding a 3/4 bed apartment right now as their prices have to fall a long way.

If you read this article about the UK and replace the UK with Dubai you have the situation here. Scary stuff

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-hammered.html

I have posted alongside Diablo for some time now, he has taken alot of stick for his investments but I respect his his decisions. No one wants to see people out of pocket. He invested at the right time, he will take a drop in rental income but in the long term I can't see him losing on his investment, just not making as much as he originally planned. I may be wrong though ..
Old May 1st 2009, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
You sound like one big freakin idiot.
you don't just sound ... you are one
Old May 1st 2009, 6:05 am

I have posted alongside Diablo for some time now, he has taken alot of stick for his investments but I respect his his decisions. No one wants to see people out of pocket. He invested at the right time, he will take a drop in rental income but in the long term I can't see him losing on his investment, just not making as much as he originally planned. I may be wrong though.
Hi Blue Cat,

Just reading the news - in UK:

"With the Council of Mortgage Lenders predicting as many as 75,000 repossessions in 2009"

"Ed Stansfield, property economist at Capital Economics, said: "Rising unemployment and widespread pay freezes will mean that prices fall considerably further."

"The effects of the continuing banking crisis will be felt for generations, a committee of MPs has warned."

Have we burnt our fingers only in Dubai? It seems to me that some people go and google 'dubai property crisis' just to find anything which may sound detrimental to Dubai.

I prefer waiting for 5 minutes to get my maid's visa; I enjoy quieter roads in Dubai, I am happy that his construction madness has slowed down (it means less apartments on the market too); I love fewer people in the Mall of Emirates; I enjoy upgrades in Emirates and not so crowded flights. Why is everyone complaining?

As for the investments I made; I think I can pay all of it without any of them being rented. When I invested in the first place - one of the factors was whether I can afford it (pay the loan) without tenants. The idea of tenants is for the apartments to pay themselves. It may be so that for a few years I will have to pay them myself (no tenants) but ... that was the calculated risk. I am looking for returns from 2020 onwards ... at the moment I am investing.

Last edited by diablo; May 1st 2009 at 6:21 am.
Old May 1st 2009, 6:33 am
Concierge

Hi Blue Cat,

Just reading the news - in UK:

"With the Council of Mortgage Lenders predicting as many as 75,000 repossessions in 2009"

"Ed Stansfield, property economist at Capital Economics, said: "Rising unemployment and widespread pay freezes will mean that prices fall considerably further."

"The effects of the continuing banking crisis will be felt for generations, a committee of MPs has warned."

Have we burnt our fingers only in Dubai? It seems to me that some people go and google 'dubai property crisis' just to find anything which may sound detrimental to Dubai.

I prefer waiting for 5 minutes to get my maid's visa; I enjoy quieter roads in Dubai, I am happy that his construction madness has slowed down (it means less apartments on the market too); I love fewer people in the Mall of Emirates; I enjoy upgrades in Emirates and not so crowded flights. Why is everyone complaining?

As for the investments I made; I think I can pay all of it without any of them being rented. When I invested in the first place - one of the factors was whether I can afford it (pay the loan) without tenants. The idea of tenants is for the apartments to pay themselves. It may be so that for a few years I will have to pay them myself (no tenants) but ... that was the calculated risk. I am looking for returns from 2020 onwards ... at the moment I am investing.

excellent post

I aint complaining, bring it on I say. I can't wait for the quietness of the summer and malls being empty. It's sad for those who have lost their jobs though.
Old May 1st 2009, 6:43 am

So what you're saying is - Diablo, be quiet and hope the tennants won't ask for a reduced rent?

Anyhow, I rented my 4-bed to 4 guys - K50 each on 4 cheques. They're friends / singles and they enjoy areas like JBR where you walk out of the building right into the crowd of tanned bodies / short skirts (no offence). They are not family villa type of guys.

So there is some hope for me
Old May 1st 2009, 7:03 am
Concierge

So what you're saying is - Diablo, be quiet and hope the tennants won't ask for a reduced rent?

Anyhow, I rented my 4-bed to 4 guys - K50 each on 4 cheques. They're friends / singles and they enjoy areas like JBR where you walk out of the building right into the crowd of tanned bodies / short skirts (no offence). They are not family villa type of guys.

So there is some hope for me
well let's see when it comes to renewal time, I bet you have 4 men (if none of them have lost their jobs) coming and asking if they can pay 35k a year, time will tell......
Old May 1st 2009, 7:14 am

well let's see when it comes to renewal time, I bet you have 4 men (if none of them have lost their jobs) coming and asking if they can pay 35k a year, time will tell......
well if they still want to live together ... they'll have to move to another 4 bed in JBR or family compound in Barsha ... I ain't giving it for 140k .. I know several families from my old country that lost their jobs (and they are in a far worse situation than most of Western expats) so I'd rather get some good karma helping them until the situation gets better for them. There is always a solution if you look for it.
Old May 1st 2009, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
As far as I know repossession law really isn't very clear here. However, no bank is going to sit on an asset like a house or apartment. The cash is worth far more to them. Plus I believe they have to insure their mortgages too? Anyway, they'll send it to auction.

Then it's a question of whether there are more houses than investment money.
Never underestimate the stupidity of some big banks out here. They refuse to recognise losses and have severely under-provided for bad loans at the moment.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.