Dubai Dreams

Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:23 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Dreams

Originally Posted by W10
Your other points - you're just being obtuse if you don't accept that London is one of the top three cities in the world. It's a pretty generally accepted fact. Now just because you don't think so, doesn't mean it isn't true.

London's public transport system isn't the best in the world, but my point was - at least there is one. Where is Dubai's? With something like 60,000 extra cars being added to the road network each year, Dubai's roads are going to be hell soon.

You think all council taxes are to be spent on policing? How about free education? how about maintaining highways? how about benefits for the disabled? how about welfare state for those worse off. And if you want a comparison. The average Emaar homeowner will be paying far more to the local authority for their services than the average council tax payer. 5% municipality tax plus Dh800 a month service fee.

Yes London can be a dangerous city, I won't deny that. But it's also a cosmopolitan, exciting city, with genuine integration (unlike Dubai - couldn't agree more with the comment made by the GN photographer 'Dubai isn't a melting pot, it's a pot - but i don't see much melting'), genuine mixing of cultures and not a homogenous lump.

You say you rarely felt safe, but were you ever attacked, mugged, beaten, killed? fear is a perception. The reality is that you are statistically unlikely to be attacked in London. Yes Dubai is safe, in fact that is one of the best things about it. But it isn't as safe as you think it is. A lot gets covered up. Not to mention the fact there are known terrorists and more gangsters than you can shake a stick at living here!!!

And by the same token because you think it is one of the top three cities in the world, it is? Not sure about generally accepted, but a lot of colleagues I worked with hate the place, a lot of my friends have moved out of London after sticking it for a few years.

TFL gets a lot of money sent its way!

Regarding council tax, that was an example, you want to talk about highways, education, disabled benefits then we are not just talking council tax, lets include road tax, petrol tax, income tax, etc...

Statistics mean nothing when you have a gang of four teenagers demanding your mobile phone and money whilst travelling into Victoria on a Sunday afternoon (in daylight).

I think I'll take my chances with the Dubai Dream, the London Nightmare is behind me (for time being anyway, never say never )
Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:28 pm
W10

Generally accepted meaning - practically every survey held in the last five years will have London in the top three of the 'coolest', 'best' or whatever cities in the world.

I'm afraid LA's do pay for education, and council tax and local welfare benefits. They also pay for the emergency services. It's what 85% of your council tax goes on.

Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:37 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Generally accepted meaning - practically every survey held in the last five years will have London in the top three of the 'coolest', 'best' or whatever cities in the world.

Not this one... http://store.eiu.com/index.asp?layou...66&ref=pr_list

I'm afraid LA's do pay for education, and council tax and local welfare benefits. They also pay for the emergency services. It's what 85% of your council tax goes on.
Covt also funds education, roads, healthcare etc.. What I pointed out is that a part of the council tax is paid for clean and safe streets, something not that common in London.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:19 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Try doing a few months away, then you realise that Dubai isnt as bad as it seems !!!
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:45 pm
W10

Dubai is a great place to live.

But like everywhere else, it's far from perfect.

Old Nov 1st 2005, 5:15 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Its what you make it. If you sit and wait for life to drop in your lap here, you'll be waiting a long time in Dubai!!
Old Nov 1st 2005, 8:27 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Its what you make it. If you sit and wait for life to drop in your lap here, you'll be waiting a long time in Dubai!!
Even if it drops in your lap - you need to jump up and shake it off - it won't stay there for ever (god must becoming cynical in my old age )
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 4:22 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'll put in my 10fils worth.

I actually enjoy it here, I earn enough to be happy, family's very happy here, I love the desert, I still drive down SZR and think wow! The work ethic, compared with The City is so laid back.

I've got no intention of moving for the foreseeable future, unless I get offered a particularly impressive position on minimum $300k+/annum that is.

Make the most of it, we wont be here for ever, there's opportunities abound.

Enjoy
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Answering your points:

Originally Posted by CasaNova
I lived here my life and the juveniles you are talking about are most propabaly my friends, But please rest assured its not a knife but a "WIZAR" what we wear under kandoora.
I know what they are,but,how many times have I heard that someone got stapped because their car was faster than the one with the wizar??

That is Discrimination, look carefully or Dig and you will find out the owners of these companys are westerners or Asians, whichever are favored in advertisement.
In Western Country If they are not looking for an Muslim so why should I waste my time and apply for that Job?
I prefer it said upfront than Hidden.
Certain nationalities are good at certain jobs.
Discrimination doesnt have any set definition,you look for a certain color,or race,or nationality,advertised or not,it is discrimination.

Well, will the US gov pay me If i need a loan?
If you understtod what I wrote,I was commending the UAE govt for their beautiful goodwill.They are almost sharing their wealth with their people.But that doesnt mean that if you have a good business plan banks,anywhere and everywhere,will not lend you a hand.

Anyways I am sure hani and khaled are far better off than the homeless's of US
They were homeless with a car each,at least more than 50K dhs in their pocket,and there was no hotel to accomodate them.....They slept in Al Majaz park for 3 days...

Well it depends who's the reviewer!
People who are not on the developer's payroll...

Nationals will never be happy, like the Germans who were never happy and placed their blame on Jews.
Anyways Nationals here drive 4XD at age 17, in west you are lucky if you own a Cycle that is 4wd.
Give someone your finger and then they will ask of your hand!
My point exactly...

I am not here to interefer into the system of others, sorry Lebanon is of no concern to me in anyway.
Im giving you examples,this is not a UAE only beauty pageant...

Anyways here we are sure and we will go home after the movie in one piece and alive.
I wasn't sure of that in Germany at 10pm after a dinner.
You still managed to come back...
Dubai and the UAE is one of the rare places on earth that you are 95%+ safe....But not 100% safe...

Yeah pick-up your hand and you are shot. That is a great way to get rid of Road problem makers.
You are right we must hire those trigger happy americans.
Oppression brings out anger.
Put yourself in their place and see what would happen...
But being lax on the roads is not making this country a favour.
Statistically speaking,the per capita deaths (by car accidents) in the UAE exceed by far more the per capita deaths of police brutality and day to day murder combined in many countries,US included...
So you dont need the police to kill you,just buy a big Land Cruiser or a Nissan Patrol and head down SZR,and do the economy a favour ...

Anyways these economic decorations are NOT on MY doors and windows.
Im also with the UAE and the ME in this point.

In Germany I saw a drunk guy pissing on a Church
Youre saying that just to make me angry.....And atheists and drunkards would piss on their mother given the chance...
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:59 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Generally accepted meaning - practically every survey held in the last five years will have London in the top three of the 'coolest', 'best' or whatever cities in the world
Which they bloody well should, given that London is officially the most expensive city in Europe (and the third most expensive in the world).

I love London, but there's no denying that in order to live in a nice house or apartment as close to central London as most of us live to the important parts of Dubai, and to be able to take advantage of all the things that make London so cool, you need money. Lots of it. More than you do here.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Trapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to all

Wow what a can of worms I have opened up here! Anyway - will update you on part two on Monday.

Even if me getting to Dubai now seems impossible.