Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Country Club - possible closure

Dubai Country Club - possible closure

Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:58 pm
W10

Default Re: Dubai Country Club - possible closure

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Have you had a lawyer look at this? What is the status of the country club - is it a registered company in the UAE, or in some other sense a recognised legal entity? You may be able to construct a legal argument based upon the civil code - even with an arguable case the hassle & bad press of a legal battle could strengthen your negotiating position.
Erm...Sheikh Mo makes the law. Which judge in their right mind is going to rule against him.

Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Erm...Sheikh Mo makes the law. Which judge in their right mind is going to rule against him.
Exactly. We need to appeal to his better side, get his sympathy vote so to say.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:23 am
Banned

The Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really nice

Originally Posted by GarethR
Only because there's so little regulation here and hence you're able to screw people in ways that would be illegal in developed countries.

Another morning ruined by negativism..You people will never get anything accomplished by whining and crying on a message board..Set a goal, then take positive steps towards achieving it. It's just that simple
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:25 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Diabolical
Another morning ruined by negativism..You people will never get anything accomplished by whining and crying on a message board..Set a goal, then take positive steps towards achieving it. It's just that simple
that is what I am doing, I want 4000 signatures on the petition and following the committee meeting on Wednesday night expect to hear alot more about this campaign
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:31 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Another morning ruined by negativism..
I was simply stating a fact. I didn't express an opinion about that fact.

If you're that obsessed with money, why are you here and not in Saudi or Iraq?
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:33 am
Banned

The Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really nice

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
that is what I am doing, I want 4000 signatures on the petition and following the committee meeting on Wednesday night expect to hear alot more about this campaign

I wasn't referring to you Blue..You have a wonderful attitude.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by GarethR
I was simply stating a fact. I didn't express an opinion about that fact.

If you're that obsessed with money, why are you here and not in Saudi or Iraq?

Garth, money is not a dirty word in my book, and furthermore, it's no wonder you don't have any with the defeatists attitude of yours.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
They have had to pay for the land, it hasn't been granted.
Er...... Blue Cat......... Emirates have had to "buy" the land?? And... er... who OWNS Emirates exactly........???
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
This has already happened. Emirates has been given the land earmarked for the DCC and Exiles and Darjeeling Cricket Club and is going to run a club for its employees with access granted to the existing clubs.

You think the UAE cares about grass roots sport? No, it cares about big time sponsorship...grass roots sport is dying here and has been killed off for the past 18 months. They didn't even want to fund Asian Games squads unless they had a chance of success. As it turns out, the guy who won their only gold was the guy who'd been treated like crap by his employer and got no sponsorship...go and ask the only Olympic gold medal winner in UAE history how much funding his sport is getting...or the UAE cricket team and leagues.

If its high profile and making headlines, Emirates will be in there...
W10 - I take your point about grass roots sport here - but I always thought Gary Chapman had his feet more firmly on the ground than that. After all, he was the one who once famously said: "The Sevens will leave the Exiles ground over my dead body."

If Emirates are ever seen to be undermining - or worse - local sport in any way, the "grass roots" here are so passionate that I suspect a boycott of that particular airline would only be a matter of time (I hardly ever use them, as there are so many alternatives these days). And rugby here is no longer a "grass roots" operation, because of Dubai's high profile as a venue.

As I said, I'm sure the Exiles will survive in one form or another - the Country Club I'm less confident about.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:02 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by The Dean
Er...... Blue Cat......... Emirates have had to "buy" the land?? And... er... who OWNS Emirates exactly........???
Yes I see your point, but one of the VP's of Emirates made it quite clear that they weren't being granted it there was infact cash changing hands. Maybe that is why DCC isn't being given a new slot of land.

Your right the exiles will be accomodated for, as for DCC I reckon they will offer the members at the new Emirates facility which will later be revoked as we are not Emirates employees.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Diabolical, please don't let what you percive as negativity ruin your day rember negative thoughts are counter productive for being a sucessful business man, take a deep breath crack open one of those cigars (from the batch of 13 now) and take a stroll to the nearest sand pit and swing away at the ball, work on par improvement, much more rewarding
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
Hey Diabolical, please don't let what you percive as negativity ruin your day rember negative thoughts are counter productive for being a sucessful business man, take a deep breath crack open one of those cigars (from the batch of 13 now) and take a stroll to the nearest sand pit and swing away at the ball, work on par improvement, much more rewarding
what exactly was 'negative' about what Gareth said?

AIUI Gareth's point about the poor regulation here allowing great wealth to accumulate in the hands of a lucky few is a statement of fact, no editorialising.

The hardcore capitalists among us who have done much better here than they could have in the UK should take that as a hugely positive feature, in so far as it helps them, while not being quite as 'frontier' country as Iraq has become.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:39 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

istead of faffing about with petitions that will merely piss off the power that is. has anyone gone to see sheikh Mo. himself and talked to him directly. it will be quicker, piss him off less and will be far more likely to result in a successful outcome
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
istead of faffing about with petitions that will merely piss off the power that is. has anyone gone to see sheikh Mo. himself and talked to him directly. it will be quicker, piss him off less and will be far more likely to result in a successful outcome
To those in the Know, how accessible is Big Mo ???
Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:10 am
W10

Originally Posted by The Dean
W10 - I take your point about grass roots sport here - but I always thought Gary Chapman had his feet more firmly on the ground than that. After all, he was the one who once famously said: "The Sevens will leave the Exiles ground over my dead body."

If Emirates are ever seen to be undermining - or worse - local sport in any way, the "grass roots" here are so passionate that I suspect a boycott of that particular airline would only be a matter of time (I hardly ever use them, as there are so many alternatives these days). And rugby here is no longer a "grass roots" operation, because of Dubai's high profile as a venue.

As I said, I'm sure the Exiles will survive in one form or another - the Country Club I'm less confident about.

Gary Chapman is dead then? Sevens will be in Sports City from 2008, that I'm pretty sure of.

It doesn't have to be Emirates that closes it completely. Name the good grass roots facilities left in Dubai. Cheap golf? oh no that closed, cricket...oh no that closed, football pitches? no but there is a Man Utd academy...oh and you can toil away at Insportz...isn't there a squash league at DCC which would close? BUT if you are into horse racing or endurance you can all the cash you want.

But hey, we're getting a 60,000 seat stadium, a 5,000 seat hockey stadium and world class training facilities for top athletes...

Emirates fly 10s of millions of people each year, and are always overbooked. They're not going to be too worried by a low level revolt.

Sorry to be a cynic...but thats the way things are here. Local rugby is grass roots, international rugby is different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.