Reload this Page >

Du Blocking from tomorrow

Du Blocking from tomorrow

Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:30 am
Just Joined

rambar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Du Blocking from tomorrow

Anyone else just receive this via SMS?

Dear valued customer, we wish to inform you that from 14 April 2008 we will be blocking sites with content that do not conform to the moral, social and cultural values of the UAE. Thank you

Last edited by rambar; Apr 13th 2008 at 10:31 am. Reason: typo
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:32 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default And so it finally happens...

According to the text from Du I've just received, they will be "blocking sites with content that do not conform to the moral, social and cultural values of the UAE" as of tomorrow.

It's no surprise of course, but I'd like to think (but am not hopeful) that that won't include Skype. We've got a VPN of course, but video chat (which we use a lot) runs faster and smoother without it.

Last edited by Eeyore; Apr 13th 2008 at 10:34 am.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Du Blocking from tomorrow

VPN sales about to increase then!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

Yup, just got the same sms... Time to go find some decent VPN software. Tried a free one, but it slowed things down a lot, and was full of adware
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

Anyone got any ideas on VPN software for someone who struggles with technology then?!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jrudofsky
Anyone got any ideas on VPN software for someone who struggles with technology then?!
google vpn tunnel. Get a Uk one and you can download channel 4 on demand (programs were free but they may be charging for some now).
I did post this the other day to someone else, but hey ho.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

Sorry, clearly didn't have my eyes open!!

Actually spoke to someone at Du regarding my bill...they said that some sites are being blocked following a government directive. He said violent websites and as far as he knew VOIP have been blocked for a while. Glimmer of hope for PC to PC VOIP....perhaps not!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:07 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jrudofsky
He said violent websites and as far as he knew VOIP have been blocked for a while
VoIP's never been blocked via Du... except maybe until tomorrow...
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

My point exactly.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

...and facebook is looking severely 'not normal' today at work - and this is through Etisalat. It now looks the same as Bebo does via Etisalat.

Need to have a look through my usual sites when I get home tonight to see what does and does not work.

I can understand why some sites get blocked, however I don't see how Skype etc is against the 'moral, social and cultural' values of the UAE. In what way is it against the 'moral, social and cultural' values of the UAE?

Only thing I can see it that Etisalat (potentially) get less money as people make calls other ways. They should amend the statement to 'moral, social, cultural and anyway that reduces the government's income'.

Have to see if youtube still works properly, as I am an addict of the golf lessons on there (Etisalat do not let you access Justin Sandercoe guitar lessons as they are against the blah blah blah.....)
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:17 am
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by Robbies
Only thing I can see it that Etisalat (potentially) get less money as people make calls other ways
That's basically it. It allows people to make calls bypassing the governmental duopoly.

They should amend the statement to 'moral, social, cultural and anyway that reduces the government's income'
No, that's far too truthful

(Etisalat do not let you access Justin Sandercoe guitar lessons as they are against the blah blah blah.....)
Really? Why? Does he play the guitar with his knob or something?
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

It takes income away from the gov't music schools... probably.

I just checked and his lessons don't seem to be blocked anymore...

Last edited by Robbies; Apr 14th 2008 at 5:27 am.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

have never had a problem using Skype PC to PC. only PC to landline or landline to my PC. and that is with Etisalat.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 4:42 pm
dub
Forum Regular

dub is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone who knows next to nothing about computers am i right in understanding that if i get vpn then i will have unrestricted access to t'internet.

If so, how do i get/install vpn?

cheers
Old Apr 14th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dub
As someone who knows next to nothing about computers am i right in understanding that if i get vpn then i will have unrestricted access to t'internet.

If so, how do i get/install vpn?

cheers
search vpn tunnel in the threads, its been covered already

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.