Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving - Just a quick question

Driving - Just a quick question

Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Driving - Just a quick question

Read in a few places that to hire a car and whatnot you might need an International Driving Permit.

I intend on renting a car when I arrive early April for a month or two, before buying. I will of course head to get my driving license for the UAE etc, but wondered if I need to get this IDP?

Thanks in advance.
Si
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Driving - Just a quick question

It's always a good idea to get a permit as you're supposed to have one. It's quite easy to get one from a post office. That said, i had no problems getting a hire car in Dubai without one on a UK licence. Remember though, as soon as you get a residency visa you can't drive until you get a local licence!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Quality, will nip to post office now and do it.

Thanks for the help mate.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I came over with an ITL but once your residence visa is in process it becomes invalid and you need a UAE licence which you cant get until yoru residence visa is complete- thats what the hire car company told me anyway. Year and a half later stillhavent got round to it!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I came over with an ITL but once your residence visa is in process it becomes invalid and you need a UAE licence which you cant get until yoru residence visa is complete- thats what the hire car company told me anyway. Year and a half later stillhavent got round to it!

If you have your residence visa you have to have a UAE driving licence. You have been lucky not to have had an accident as I am sure that that you would be fined very heavily and I think your insurance would be invalid!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Soukie you misunderstand- I'm still not driving here!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Soukie you misunderstand- I'm still not driving here!

Oh right - that's good news!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I came over with an ITL but once your residence visa is in process it becomes invalid...
What does ITL stand for? If you return to the UK but your licence is no longer valid (ie. no UK residency) do car hire companies accept a UAE licence?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:28 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
What does ITL stand for? If you return to the UK but your licence is no longer valid (ie. no UK residency) do car hire companies accept a UAE licence?
I always use my UAE driving license abroad, keeps UK one clean.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ITL means really bad typing! IDL is what i meant!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sross2203
Read in a few places that to hire a car and whatnot you might need an International Driving Permit.

I intend on renting a car when I arrive early April for a month or two, before buying. I will of course head to get my driving license for the UAE etc, but wondered if I need to get this IDP?

Thanks in advance.
Si
Keep in mind that if you 'Swap' your UK Licence for one in the UAE it is invalidated automatically! - Something that DVLA have kept to themselves! The RTA in Dubai, inform DVLA of a Licence Swap! - I have a long string of Emails with DVLA, and now face having to take a Driving Test should I go back! You can use your UAE Licence in the UK for a year after arrival. If you leave the UK the 'Year' begins again! - Just like a Visa Flight!

Keep in mind that DVLA have also managed to lose the details of several million people! - Always keep a note of your Driver Number, and your old Licence; Pink, Green, or Photocard!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
When hiring in the UK i use my U.A.E or Qatar license . All the major companies accept them at the airports and i've even hired locally in the UK with them as well , never any problems.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackthehat
Keep in mind that if you 'Swap' your UK Licence for one in the UAE it is invalidated automatically! - Something that DVLA have kept to themselves! The RTA in Dubai, inform DVLA of a Licence Swap! - I have a long string of Emails with DVLA, and now face having to take a Driving Test should I go back! You can use your UAE Licence in the UK for a year after arrival. If you leave the UK the 'Year' begins again! - Just like a Visa Flight!

Keep in mind that DVLA have also managed to lose the details of several million people! - Always keep a note of your Driver Number, and your old Licence; Pink, Green, or Photocard!
Why would you swap your UK license for a U.A.E one , never knew that option exsisted ?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:41 pm