Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha - Where to Live

Doha - Where to Live

Old Mar 11th 2013, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Doha - Where to Live

Originally Posted by MrBAH
Hi there,

Just wndering where might be a good location (ideally compound based) to relocate a family - wife, 2 kids (both under 6) and maybe the family labrador? Is West Bay the best place, and if so, what are prices / likely commute time, etc.

Also, going off topic, does anyone have any info on relocating dogs, what are they perceived like in Doha, etc etc....

All help appreciated.
West bay/Lagoon is generally considered the best place mate. If your social and like eating out/drinking then west bay is great. Prices vary but for a villa in westbay i would guess 15pm would be your minimum.
Where do you work so we can give you a rough estimate of commute times?
I dont have any pets but there are plenty of Expats out here who do so thats no problem.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:18 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RyanC
West bay/Lagoon is generally considered the best place mate. If your social and like eating out/drinking then west bay is great. Prices vary but for a villa in westbay i would guess 15pm would be your minimum.
Where do you work so we can give you a rough estimate of commute times?
I dont have any pets but there are plenty of Expats out here who do so thats no problem.
Got to disagree with West Bay & Lagoons. Both massively overpriced, yes there is places to eat and drink but there is in the rest of Doha. Buying a pint of milk or packet of cigarettes etc is a pain in the Arse as there is a lack of small shops and the traffic is awful - And certainly in the Lagoons is only going to get worse.

You need to think about schools then find somewhere to live around that, there is a load of schools near Abu Hamour and Al Waab so I would wager you are better nearer there.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with BE76 - for families west bay ios not necessarily the best place. It also depends on what you do on your down time. The simple fact is that Doha is not a big place so anywhere is reachable from anywhere else with not too much difficulty. Rush Hour is a pain though.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Crewegirl is on a distinguished road

I totally agree with Brit expat and Theseus, compound living is the best for children and pets as they can play in the streets and normally are near to schools.
You won't get a villa in west bay lagoon for any less than 15-20k per month and most are stand alone which is not good for mixing.
Traffic isn't to bad at the minute and my husband drives in rush hour from the pearl to HMC in 30 mins but the road works will push that up when they really get going.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

Adding my agreement to the others having only recently been searching myself! West Bay is not exactly kid or dog friendly and Lagoon is also difficult atm with all the work. Schools will be a big factor in your decision. Most schools start at 7am and with little ones you want to be close. I'm currently having to leave at 6am from our temporary accommodation to be there in time with kids up at 5.30am...... nightmare!!! Can't wait to actually move into new place so they can sleep an extra 1/2hr in the morning.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

MrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really nice

Thanks guys much appreciated. I'll check the living cost calculator that Ive seen on here for an overall picture too.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is viewing apartments in Doha tomorrow and I am in UK so need your help regarding areas again please! He is looking at a compound in Bin Mahmoud - anybody know what the area is like plus any feedback on compounds in that area would be much appreciated. From what I understand it is fairly central and bars / restaurants etc are within walking distance.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:39 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
My husband is viewing apartments in Doha tomorrow and I am in UK so need your help regarding areas again please! He is looking at a compound in Bin Mahmoud - anybody know what the area is like plus any feedback on compounds in that area would be much appreciated. From what I understand it is fairly central and bars / restaurants etc are within walking distance.
It's near megamart, ramada and la cigale. Lots of places to eat and bars to visit. 20 chips to west bay and I prefer it to most areas. I live nearby in Al Sadd and much prefer it to Al Waab where I was before.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

[QUOTE=dragonladyoz;10597035]Adding my agreement to the others having only recently been searching myself! West Bay is not exactly kid or dog friendly and Lagoon is also difficult atm /QUOTE]

I also agree Westbay will cost +25k a month and it is not the friendliest of environments. It also stinks of septic sewage. For a similar price you would be better off taking a furnished/serviced villa at the Hyatt, which at least has a beach and a bar, Wherever you go check for sewage smells, some villas and apartments are empty for a good reason!

Last edited by gottheTshirt; Mar 30th 2013 at 6:10 am.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
It's near megamart, ramada and la cigale. Lots of places to eat and bars to visit. 20 chips to west bay and I prefer it to most areas. I live nearby in Al Sadd and much prefer it to Al Waab where I was before.
Great - thanks for that. He has viewed it and it looks good so I think we will be taking it. I hear it's near the Caravan too which is a plus