Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha, first impressions

Wikiposts

Doha, first impressions

Old Jun 21st 2006, 8:19 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha, first impressions

Originally Posted by Rascal
Yes it does appear Doha is trying to be the next Dubai, but with OH being in the Construction Industry, can only be a good thing for us and work.
He is still enjoying the work out there, far far better than NZ Construction.
They are concentrating more on making it THE business and sports centre of the middle east more than casual tourism. The plans are HUGE. This place has changed since I moved here one year and a half ago. Its a total caos at the mo but give it 2/3 years time and it will be good. Can never be like Dubai tho. Dubai will always be 10/15yrs ahead......
Old Jun 21st 2006, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malteser
They are concentrating more on making it THE business and sports centre of the middle east more than casual tourism. The plans are HUGE. This place has changed since I moved here one year and a half ago. Its a total caos at the mo but give it 2/3 years time and it will be good. Can never be like Dubai tho. Dubai will always be 10/15yrs ahead......
Doha will be 50 years ahead of NZ anyway, so it is a big step up for us lol
Last decent shopping we had was in Brisbane, before that Manchester (Trafford Centre).
hubby was in one of the malls this afternoon, he had to call me to tell me how fab it was, ice rink inside and all kinds of things.
It must be good watching it change though eh Maltester?
Although I hear the road diversions are not so good.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 11:24 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
Doha will be 50 years ahead of NZ anyway, so it is a big step up for us lol
Last decent shopping we had was in Brisbane, before that Manchester (Trafford Centre).
hubby was in one of the malls this afternoon, he had to call me to tell me how fab it was, ice rink inside and all kinds of things.
It must be good watching it change though eh Maltester?
Although I hear the road diversions are not so good.
Yeah the malls are nice. Theres a huge new one opening very soon "Villaggio" supposed to be even bigger than the City Centre(one wt ice ring).

It is nice seeing it change but change brings a lot of probs as well Im afraid. It is getting more and more expensive. They just put up the school fees for us and the rents still keep going up up up.

Will jsut have to wait and see wot happens......
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:04 am
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

I guess if rents are going up that means property prices are leading the way. How easy is it for a non national to buy and sell property in Qatar? Not an apartment but a compound villa, maybe with its own pool , shared leisure facilties and good security, what would something like that cost?

Do people buy land and build as they do here in NZ or do most sales consist of land/house packages purchased from a construction company?

Just trying to work out where the best place to invest in property is - ME or NZ

Thanks.

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malteser
Yeah the malls are nice. Theres a huge new one opening very soon "Villaggio" supposed to be even bigger than the City Centre(one wt ice ring).

It is nice seeing it change but change brings a lot of probs as well Im afraid. It is getting more and more expensive. They just put up the school fees for us and the rents still keep going up up up.

Will jsut have to wait and see wot happens......
Thats the downside of progression though isn't it I suppose.
Hubby let lucky with his apartment, the rent is lower than all the others in same block pay, dunno why, something to do with the company he works for?? It came furnished too with all new furniture.
Do you think rent will decrease after Asian Games? I hope so for your sake.
Hubby only paying 4500QR pm 2 beds, 2 baths, he loves his apartment.

NZ isn't cheap either Malteser very, very poor wages and high taxes and Uk prices. The 3 dont mix.
It hasn't even got the great climate to compensate either.
Its just 4 months of warm to hot, then 8 months of YUK!
Most homes are freezing cold too in winter, we hear of folk sitting in 4 layers and wearing gloves INDOORS, not ideal. Power prices are shocking, so most folk are unable to be warm even.
I hate cold.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tootsie
I guess if rents are going up that means property prices are leading the way. How easy is it for a non national to buy and sell property in Qatar? Not an apartment but a compound villa, maybe with its own pool , shared leisure facilties and good security, what would something like that cost?

Do people buy land and build as they do here in NZ or do most sales consist of land/house packages purchased from a construction company?

Just trying to work out where the best place to invest in property is - ME or NZ

Thanks.

Hubby will be finding all this out as the weeks go by, Malteser and Novita may know already. Hubby is working with a Real estate guy right now on one of the projects being built. He has also bumped into the bank manager he knew from Blackpool who lives out there dealing with mortgages etc, so he is asking around.
Prices are probably high already but I would imagine, as Qatar progesses further, prices will ROCKET even higher and only the rich & famous can buy there?? Thats my guess of course??
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:26 am
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

We'd better get a toe in the door quickly then . What a stroke of luck your DH having met an estate agent and knowing the bank manager already, makes things very much easier. Often it's 'who you know' that makes the difference.

edit: sorry about the large text, the cold must be getting to the keyboard

Last edited by tootsie; Jun 22nd 2006 at 10:29 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tootsie
We'd better get a toe in the door quickly then . What a stroke of luck your DH having met an estate agent and knowing the bank manager already, makes things very much easier. Often it's 'who you know' that makes the difference.

edit: sorry about the large text, the cold must be getting to the keyboard
I know! I cant believe how he just happened to get lost and ask directions from a guy he knew in Blackpool!
The Estate Agent is the client of the company OH works for. he is in charge of it running smoothly.