Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha, first impressions

Wikiposts

Doha, first impressions

Old Jun 18th 2006, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha, first impressions

Originally Posted by tootsie

Can you get fries with that?

Rascal. I'm stowing away in your luggage.
lol you are welcome.
I was packing the suitcase today, not that I am keen to leave mind, lol but the minute I spoke to him this morning and again tonight, I thought Right Thats it!
At first I was gonna hop back n forth in bewteen school hols etc, but now having a rethink and maybe I may just go over full time now this year instead of waiting till next year?
Am unhappy with school at the moment, my 2 are getting picked on, not by the kids but by the teachers! I am now at the stage where I will be going in to have words with them.
I may just decide to call it quits with this school anyway!
Old Jun 18th 2006, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't have happened to two nicer people. Best of luck and I hope it will be a success, you deserve it.

Yes, a very big rock is called for I think.
Thanks I will keep you posted and promise I wont keep saying how hot it is while you are cold here, how cheap it is, how advanced it is, and how much better (I hope) it is going to be.
Old Jun 18th 2006, 6:59 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
so your husband has been there for a few days, you have not ever been there, you have no idea what you deal with living in the middle east, and you are telling people that the middle east is the greatest place on earth? Talk to you in a year or two, if you make it that long.
*surveilance picture of TA5 taken yesterday*

*note the use of the tin foil hat*

Our subject believes that use of this hat will block out the subliminal messages that he claims the Gulf States keep beaming direct in to his brain. He claims to constantly hear people with UK, Australian and South African accents saying things like "I like Dubai, came and stay with us", "Doha is great, come back TA5, be with us" and "one of us, one of us, one of us...."
Old Jun 19th 2006, 5:32 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Rascal hun its not all roses honestly. Does have its ups and downs. Not all that glitters is gold. But if u look on the positive side it is nice yeah. Not perfect but nice. The culture needs getting used too esp during Ramadan which will happen around mid September this year. The driving even more so. The amount of horrible accidents I see is amazing and some of them I cannot take off my mind. Really horrible sights. Cars torn apart and dead ppl on the roads....awful. Also the amount of red tape there is.....GGrrrr u wont believe.

As regards to a mansion wt yr own swimming pool, you will have to pay an arm and a leg for that in Doha. Rents are skyrocketting and ppl are leaving for that reason. Even a villa in the south of France will be cheaper...

On a more positive note. You will def make some really really nice genuine friends. Of course Im one of them . Will def meet u up as soon as Im back for the hollies. Will def introduce u to the Doha Damsels. We're a v nice bunch. Hope ure into gossiping....hehe
Old Jun 19th 2006, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Maltester, yes am quite used to disappointments, NZ has many. Same here with RTA, you see more white crosses and flowers by the roadside than you would find in the whole of the UK grave yards put together.

No country is perfect, and have heard about the sky high rents
Hubby landed lucky withhis one the company had rented out for a previous employee and they kept it on when he returned hme due to illness.
They pay 4500pm, its 2 bed , 2 bath and fully furnished with new furniture, so think he has a bargain really. I have seen pixs of it now, and it does look quite ok, although kitchen wouldn't win design of the year award!
Who said Doha was a small city??
He got lost yesterday, lol, quite rare for him but think he still has jetlag as he went into work very next day and was thrown right in at the deep end!
He is having an early night tonight.
So far the heat hasn't bothered him, but he loves heat, he is one that could sit for hours in a sauna and not be bothered at all, I would last 5 mins.
Yes, look forward to meeting you Doha damsels, should be out there next month.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 5:52 pm
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

I have every confidence that Rascal and her partner are going to do just fine in Doha. They've been through some pretty trying times and are going into this with their eyes wide open. Nowhere in the world is perfect, they know this. After surviving 4 years of utter cr@p in NZ they'll be well equiped to deal with most things that Doha has to throw at them.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have every confidence that Rascal and her partner are going to do just fine in Doha. They've been through some pretty trying times and are going into this with their eyes wide open. Nowhere in the world is perfect, they know this. After surviving 4 years of utter cr@p in NZ they'll be well equiped to deal with most things that Doha has to throw at them.
Except find our way round. lol :scared:
I have NO chance if Hubby gets lost, it leaves me no hope at all.

PS thanks.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 12:04 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

I have no doubt that Rascal and her DH will be fine in Doha. Most people are here. Of course you find those who complain and moan all the time but u find loads others (incl me) who love Doha with all its ups and downs.

Take it as an adventure and challenge and you will be just fine.......
Old Jun 20th 2006, 12:31 am
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Malteser
I have no doubt that Rascal and her DH will be fine in Doha. Most people are here. Of course you find those who complain and moan all the time but u find loads others (incl me) who love Doha with all its ups and downs.

Take it as an adventure and challenge and you will be just fine.......
Just a quick "Hi" Malty... Enjoy your vacation.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 2:21 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

I may have an opportunity to work out in Qatar....still early days yet as im weighing up all options.

Whats the nightlife like out there?? any good ? Malti/Nov ??

Old Jun 20th 2006, 4:17 am
Melts in your Mouth

Originally Posted by Frans Wind
Just a quick "Hi" Malty... Enjoy your vacation.
HEYYYYYY Frans....hope ure doing ok

Have a great vacation as well........
Old Jun 20th 2006, 4:22 am
Melts in your Mouth

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
I may have an opportunity to work out in Qatar....still early days yet as im weighing up all options.

Whats the nightlife like out there?? any good ? Malti/Nov ??

Hey Jammy

Hmmmm not the right persons to ask Im afraid as not so much into nightlife. Well the hotels all have bars and clubs of course. Some of them are quiet popular and always packed wt ppl. Dont expect anything like Dubai tho JD, its still far behind here. I know a lot of singles and most of them are ok wt living here. You can still hop off to Dubai when ure in need of hard partying tho eh
Old Jun 20th 2006, 4:30 am
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of

Heya Malty!!!

Not planned my vacation yet. Still have a few business trips lined up first. September / October perhaps.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 5:10 am
UAE Expat

By the way are you in Qatar in September? Yeah... Unfortunally am pushed to go that direction again soon.

Frans
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:42 am
Melts in your Mouth

Originally Posted by Frans Wind
By the way are you in Qatar in September? Yeah... Unfortunally am pushed to go that direction again soon.

Frans
Yep....back in Doha on the 3rd Sept. Shall we see ya then???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.