Doha bound!

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

claimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant future
Default Doha bound!

Hi all,

After much debate and some very good advice from people on this forum, we have decided to take the plunge and move to Doha.

We will keep our home in the UK, just in case.

After reading some of the threads on this forum regarding jobs and contracts in the Middle East meaning very little, I am slightly worried.

I have a good job, or will have shortly in Qatar with an English firm, but I am leaving a company after 10 years service in a senior position.

Although I have a lot of experience, and all the relevant qualifications, I have only this year completed an Hons degree, and I am all to aware of the need for post graduate experience in Qatar.

My question is, should I find myself in a position where the job goes belly up after a year through no fault of my own, is it easy to move around out there, or find another job, and will the experience of working in Qatar help.

Also, is anybody aware of the public holidays this year in Qatar. I get 25 days, plus local public holidays?

Thanks and regards.

Claimsboy.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice
Default Re: Doha bound!

Local holidays will include days at both Eids. Eid changes each year and often 'official' days off are notified at very short notice - however the first Eid begins 8th August and Hajj (2nd eid) next year is 13-16 Oct

If like Saudi then National Day would also be a local holiday - I believe in Qatar that is 18 Dec.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

With regard to moving around if the job goes belly up is dependent on the company you are working with and whether they will provide a letter of no objection to allow you to continue to work in Qatar.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

claimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant future

Thank you both for the advice.

Regards

Claimsboy.