Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Isn't Really Cheaper Than AD

Dubai Isn't Really Cheaper Than AD

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all
Default Dubai Isn't Really Cheaper Than AD

So I've been here nearly a month, I'm an old hand at Dubai now

So far I've managed to ascertain than Dubai is indeed not much cheaper to live in than AD, despite the higher cost of housing in AD.

My figures annualised for ease

Housing -52k (small 3 bed Dubai shit building, large 2 bed AD amazing building)
Petrol Increase +12k ( although this is temp)
Utlilities (inc housing fee approx) +12k
Going Out +21k

So far I've realised we should have really taken account of the increased price of going out which appears to be astronomical in comparison to AD.

Definitely one to add to the Is It Worth It
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:06 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Isn't Really Cheaper Than AD

Having lived in both also, I never noticed that the cost of "going out" was/is more in Dubai..is it maybe due to more options/choices/temptations?
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Originally Posted by commander
Having lived in both also, I never noticed that the cost of "going out" was/is more in Dubai..is it maybe due to more options/choices/temptations?
No it's more to do with Vodka being on average 10 AED a go more!
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:23 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
really? I never noticed..surely it depends on where you are drinking? What places do you goto?

I was at that Jumeirah Zabeel Saray hotel the other week..it was effin expensive, but I expected it...I used to drink over at dubliners but never noticed it to be cheaper when I went to AD...
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

there you go then, most families will still find it cheaper than you
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Not Russian families.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by csdf
Not Russian families.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

My figures annualised for ease

Housing -52k (small 3 bed Dubai shit building, large 2 bed AD amazing building)
Where the hell are you living and how many (labourers) are you sharing with?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 1:11 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
Where the hell are you living and how many (labourers) are you sharing with?
and a large 2 bed in an amazing building in AD for 52k?

Where???
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

in some cases AD is cheaper than dubai - taxis are a good example.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

My rent in Ad was 180k, my rent here is 128k, saving 52k, the figures mentioned are the +/- not the actual figures
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 2:49 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Likewise. However, there are certainly many bars and restaurants in Dubai that are expensive, and I haven't found many bars that offer as good happy hours as those in AD, but there again I haven't looked that hard. THere is certainly far more choice in Dubai, but I've found some cheap eats: can't say the same for beer, though.

My accommodation is cheaper, although not vastly (per m2). Power and water seem to be more, but I don't pay the a/c charge so the difference isn't great. Yep, taxis are more, partly because I end up going further. Food? Dunno, but I do miss the AD co-op.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Likewise. However, there are certainly many bars and restaurants in Dubai that are expensive, and I haven't found many bars that offer as good happy hours as those in AD, but there again I haven't looked that hard. THere is certainly far more choice in Dubai, but I've found some cheap eats: can't say the same for beer, though.

My accommodation is cheaper, although not vastly (per m2). Power and water seem to be more, but I don't pay the a/c charge so the difference isn't great. Yep, taxis are more, partly because I end up going further. Food? Dunno, but I do miss the AD co-op.
I agree with you on all points, we don't have chiller charges here just Dewa, but obviously the housing fee is a nasty standing charge.

Will definitely have to look into the happy hour situation, it can make all the difference to a night out