Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha Accommodation?

Doha Accommodation?

Old May 25th 2006, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha Accommodation?

Originally Posted by gedge
Hope they've improved a lot since i left in 89.
God I hope so too, be just my luck to get there and find Pak n Slave!
Old May 25th 2006, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

twinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant future

When are you heading out to Doha? My hubbie goes in 3 weeks time, me and the kids will follow some time at the end of July. Not the best time to go temperature wise but I like to be thrown in at the deep end

I am well and truly into panic shopping now. Don't think anything else will fit into our container...but I'll give it a go!
Old May 25th 2006, 2:29 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
I used to think the Italians were the worst drivers in the world, until I came to live in NZ! lol I have to say, they now hold the world record.....but...maybe Doha can beat them for the title
Wait and see........Doha will def beat the record. In fact the Midde East beats the careless driving all over the world. Believe me the driving is VERY VERY bad :scared:
Old May 25th 2006, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinmum
When are you heading out to Doha? My hubbie goes in 3 weeks time, me and the kids will follow some time at the end of July. Not the best time to go temperature wise but I like to be thrown in at the deep end

I am well and truly into panic shopping now. Don't think anything else will fit into our container...but I'll give it a go!
I am not sure yet when I will follow, we are keeping our NZ home as we have a 18 year old staying here, so plan is to go back and forth first year with 2 youngest and by next year decide if we wish to stay long term or not, if not, we just all return back to NZ.
Where do you live now?
Old May 25th 2006, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

:scared:
Originally Posted by Malteser
Wait and see........Doha will def beat the record. In fact the Midde East beats the careless driving all over the world. Believe me the driving is VERY VERY bad :scared:
I wil look forward to comparing, but NZ driving REALLY does take some beating! It is like being on a race track and watching oldf dears cross the road is entertaining in itself They just DO NOT stop!
Old May 25th 2006, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

:scared:

I wil look forward to comparing, but NZ driving REALLY does take some beating! It is like being on a race track and watching oldf dears cross the road is entertaining in itself They just DO NOT stop!
Doha really is on a whole new level ... Its not just the traffic itself, or the rules (or lack thereof), its the fact that the road you turned down last week may well not be there the next.

I thought places like Bombay and Marrakesh were bad until I drove in Doha. It is all the same danger just twice the speed! Fun times ahead
Old May 25th 2006, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ha ha you mean I will still need my crash helmet to go driving then? lol
Oh well, four years driving in NZ will be a good test for the Doha roads. I cant wait to compare.
Old May 25th 2006, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

They can drive cars at 15 here, no restriction on engine size and with no insurance needed (yes true) you see loads of boy racers some hardly able to see over the wheel in their Subaru Impreza's going at breakneck speed through town, past schools, etc....they weave in and out of traffic, usually racing with their 15 year old mates! lol
Old May 25th 2006, 9:31 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

They can drive cars at 15 here
I guessing tht most have driving licences?
That'll be a step up from the 15 yo drivers in Qatar!
Old May 25th 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, if they do have a licence its a learners licence which is gained by doing a 35 question scratch card test on the highway code. They are given the answers and they have to scratch the right one (out of 3 answers)..if they get them correct (they are allowed to get 2 wrong answers) then away they go with their learners licence. They can drive with a full licence holder by their side, in any car with any engine size and NO insurance required. After 6 months they can go for their restricted licence which requires a practical test. It just means they can drive alone but within ceratin hours and carry no passengers, but most young lads do.
The cops here are far too busy hiding in bushes collecting revenue from workers (who can afford to pay the fines) who are doing just a few kms over the limit. Meanwhile the boy racers carry on doing what they enjoy, menacing the roads.
Old May 26th 2006, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

twinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant future

I am not sure yet when I will follow, we are keeping our NZ home as we have a 18 year old staying here, so plan is to go back and forth first year with 2 youngest and by next year decide if we wish to stay long term or not, if not, we just all return back to NZ.
Where do you live now?
We're in the UK, just outside London. I am seriously looking forward to some sunshine...but I think I'll be regretting saying that in a month or two! Our house is quite near to the Sheraton too i think, it's next to the Landmark Mall if you've heard of it.
Old May 26th 2006, 12:20 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinmum
We're in the UK, just outside London. I am seriously looking forward to some sunshine...but I think I'll be regretting saying that in a month or two! Our house is quite near to the Sheraton too i think, it's next to the Landmark Mall if you've heard of it.

Errrmmm Landmark mall is not exactly near the Sheraton. But Doha is small and u can get anywhere in minutes unless theres traffic of course. As regards to sunshine u really dont have to worry about that. I can guarantee 360 sunny days out of 365 per year
Old May 26th 2006, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have no idea yet where the apartment is, been asking for the address for it, but got no response, mind you, been firing loads of questions to the company and as it is having a big change around, new staff etc, its busy time for all.
Can you see why I am letting hubby go first?

Sunshine...aaahhhh need loads of that, our summer in NZ has enbded now and it will be Nov/Dec before we get warm weather again.
Old May 27th 2006, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

PS Twinmum, have heard of the mall yes, its the first thing I checked out, the shops lol
I have no idea as yet what date I will be flying out, hubby leaves NZ on 15th June and will arrive 16th, so once I know all is ok and stuff, I will look at flights for me and the 2 youngest boys, eldest is staying behind to finish his studies & look after the house and cat!
I am looking forward to some very hot weather as July & August gets VERY cold in NZ! -2 degrees some mornings..
Old May 27th 2006, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Malteser
Errrmmm Landmark mall is not exactly near the Sheraton. But Doha is small and u can get anywhere in minutes unless theres traffic of course. As regards to sunshine u really dont have to worry about that. I can guarantee 360 sunny days out of 365 per year
Is my OH telling me fibs then? We will be living near to the Landmark mall and his office is by the Sheraton, he told me this is close so his commute won't be too long and that we could meet up for lunch etc. But think he will tell me anything to get me out there!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.