Dogs?

Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs?

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Let me explain the parks... yes we have parks here but these are generally for kids to play in and for people to relax in and have bbqs. They are not like the typical park in England which is set up for dog walkers - there are no woodlands etc.

Wow, I thought they were called parks, not dog topilets. Silly me.

Sure, you can walk the dog here, but you will be as welcome as a turd in a swimming pool – also remember that 90% of the population are either south Asians or Arabs and they hate dogs (apparently if a dog sniffs a Muslim it means they are unclean). I've seen a couple of fights break out over dogs getting too near kids playing football etc.
Apparently if a dog licks any part of you, then that part is not clean. Revolutionary idea. Waiting to see if a dog just sniffs and doesn't lick is a bit dumb. So most people avoid being slobbered on. Also to do with the shitbreath situation , I think.

... from people who would rather not see it.
As on any public beach in any part of the world
It’s your decision, but I personally don’t think dogs are that welcome here.
Correct. And it's not just coz I hate dogs either.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
Correct. And it's not just coz I hate dogs either.
I'm actually a dog lover - we had a few in our time back in the UK - but I can honestly say I wouldn't bring or have one here. Partially, if out of respect for the majority who hate them.

I guess that rats on string are ok, but proper dogs (e.g labs, springers etc) are not that welcome sadly. I also don't think it's that sensible to have a dog in a climate where it is 37oC+ for 6 months of the year
Old Sep 25th 2009, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

I think your practical considerations are more relevant than the respect issue.

While unuusal, there is nothing unislamic about having a dog.
If it's a guard dog or a hunting dog, that is acceptable.

An abomination like a chihuahua is not OK though...
Old Sep 25th 2009, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas

An abomination like a chihuahua is not OK though...
Is there ever a time or place where such a bug eyed mut is acceptable?
Old Sep 26th 2009, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

I had biggish dogs in Dubai and they were fine in the heat - they actually liked to sunbathe in the summer! They are like us, they find a cool place to be in then heat of the day. Have to say it was harder when we left than when we first arrived as the best places for running the dogs had been or were being built on.

As for the respect thing, respect for everyone means not letting your dog sniff crotches willy nilly, not letting them bark day and night, and picking up the pooh when you walk them.

I couldn't live somewhere that I couldn't have my dogs. Now my children, they are another matter . . . .

N
Old Sep 26th 2009, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Oakley,

I'd say look into your dog breed, is it a desert dog or is it a snowy mountain type dog, are they designed for living in a hot country.

Personally I wouldn't bring a dog here, I left my dog with my parents when I moved to London as didnt think a city enviroment was great for a big dog so didn't bring her here for the same reason, (she was put down last week only a week after I arrived which was heartbreaking, sob - she was an old lady and she'd had on going health problems and took a turn for the worse), I think it would have been too hot for her and not having a garden for her to potter about in, no rabbits to chase, me going to work for 12 hours everyday and leaving her alone; would just decrease her quality of life, not all streets are good for walking on as the pedestrian pavements aren't on every road and it is still bloody hot in the morning/evening compared to the Uk to be going out for walkies. And as other people have said they aren't dog lovers here- could also limit you when finding somewhere to live which is worth keeping in mind.

I's suggest moving out here and seeing how you feel and possibly have your dog sent out later once you have been able to explore the dog life options.

Kittycat
x
Old Sep 27th 2009, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
Do you mind telling me which compound you're on Millsy - so I can avoid it when I have to move.
I hate bloody dogs too.
Mango Village (they like to call it Mangrove but I think Mango has more of a ring to it).

I think we're just unlucky with the dogs though, to be surrounded by them - I'm sure there are more peaceful areas in the compound.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Mango Village (they like to call it Mangrove but I think Mango has more of a ring to it).
Well it is a more apt description, that's for sure!

Ah well, no point me hoping for rents to come down to anything reasonable there then!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
Well it is a more apt description, that's for sure!

Ah well, no point me hoping for rents to come down to anything reasonable there then!
We were lucky that we got a villa there when it first opened just over 3 years ago, then they introduced the rental cap so it's still pretty low.

There's no way my housing allowance would cover the ridiculous rents they're asking now.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 11:37 am
Just Joined

sunnydaze is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow what a lot of negative responses you have had oakley.

I brought my large German Shepherd dog to Dubai (like you wouldn't have come without him) and didn't experience any problems. Sure it was a bit too hot for him in summer but very early morning/late at night walks took care of that. There are plenty of desert areas you can take them for a good run and there is a social club that meet up with all breeds that go lure coursing.

I have honestly not had any bad experiences in fact the opposite. People would stop and tell me what a gorgeous dog he was and ask about him.

If I had to do it again I would in a minute.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

oakley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

thanks for all your replies, You have certainly given me something to think about.

As my youngest son would say...................'Its only a dog'.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:36 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnydaze
Wow what a lot of negative responses you have had oakley.

I brought my large German Shepherd dog to Dubai (like you wouldn't have come without him) and didn't experience any problems. Sure it was a bit too hot for him in summer but very early morning/late at night walks took care of that. There are plenty of desert areas you can take them for a good run and there is a social club that meet up with all breeds that go lure coursing.

I have honestly not had any bad experiences in fact the opposite. People would stop and tell me what a gorgeous dog he was and ask about him.

If I had to do it again I would in a minute.
my friend also has a GS here, she has no problems with it whatsoever and yes people always comment on him, he is huge!
Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Tis Only Me is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just found out that we are not allowed to take our pet to Riyadh. When OH had interview some months ago, he did ask his employer this question and they advised there was no problem taking pets with you.

So me thinking great - ran the vets started all the process of vacinations for a pet passport etc. Then we hit a brick wall. A form came that the vet needed to sign before the dog could leave the country. It stated that the dog must be used as eg Guard / Hunting dog etc. As I read through this form the bombshell hit. The vet must also confirm it is none of a certain list of breeds. How on earth a rotty can not be classed as a guard dog is beyond me.

e,g Staffy, Rotty, too many to list. Guess what yep mine was a 2 year old Rotty. I was devasted and didnt sleep a wink all night thinking maybe I have read it wrong. I love her to bits and we are in the process of rehoming her with a good friend, but it still breaking my heart to think I have to leave her behind. In desperation as you can imagine, i thought (jokingly) maybe my vet will say shes an overweight doberman.

I keep telling myself it is better for her to stay in the UK as she aint much good in hot weather at the best of times. It just me being selfish cause of how much i love her too bits and the feeling of guilt as I am someone who believes a dog is for life.

I rang the people who deal with animal export asking them was there any way i could take her and they said no. Well you can imagine I could hardly speak through the tears tripping me, the poor woman on the otherside of the phone could hear how upset i was and was so nice about it. Infact just writing this is making my eyes well up and look like pea holes in the snow.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Is she a good Rotti ? ie. is there no mistaking that she is is a rotti ? I ask because out here a rotti doesn't always look like a rotti iyswim. Anyway if she could be a cross breed you could get her in if the vet will list her as a cross.

Friends of ours got their staffie and pit bull into UK when they left Dubai as the vet put down they were cross breeds and it all worked out for them.

Not sure this helps really, very sorry you can't take her with you - can't imagine not being able to take my dogs with me.

N