Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Desperately seeking advice!!

Desperately seeking advice!!

Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

jellymelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Desperately seeking advice!!

Originally Posted by lionheart
You would probably have received a more sympathetic response if you had omitted the reference to a 100% pay rise. Firstly because it ain't gonna happen and secondly because it makes you look like a materialistic gold-digger.
If i was a materialistic gold-digger i would have married a 90year old millionaire, but i didnt!! Secondly, who the hell are you to assume that it would not be 100%, you do not have the first clue as to what my current salary is!! So why dont we just assume, that doing so makes an ass out of you and me!! Many thanks Mr Lionheart for your very helpfull response, i hope i was just a realise from a very ****** up day!

As to everyone else, thank you all for your helpfull advice and responses! I will certainly read a few more threads and take your advice on board! I do realise that the industry i am in is on very shakey ground, so maybe re-training is the way forward!

But for now, thank you! I wish you all the very best of luck! I am off to count all my diamonds and check exactly how many designer names outfits i have hanging in my wardrobe!!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

DiggerBarnes is on a distinguished road

You need to think about several issues:
1) Dubai is now suffering from the downturn too, especially the construction sector so even if you get a job, you could loose it soon after you come over
2) Rent is Dubai is very expensive and often has to be paid 12 months in advance, you may be lucky to get a shorter prepayment for 4 to 6 months. It can be roughly £20K to £25K pa for a small unfurnished flat.
3) Will your husband be able to get a job?
4) Schooling is very expensive too
5) The heat is unbearable for 3 months of the year...45 to 50C so you will have to spend most of your time indoors then.
6) You have to have a plan in place of what you are going to do if either you or your husband looses your jobs. How long can you survive on your savings? If you decide to return to the Uk you have to bear in mind that you may not get your rent prepayment back. You also have to think about how this would affect your child's schooling.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DiggerBarnes
You need to think about several issues:
1) Dubai is now suffering from the downturn too, especially the construction sector so even if you get a job, you could loose it soon after you come over
2) Rent is Dubai is very expensive and often has to be paid 12 months in advance, you may be lucky to get a shorter prepayment for 4 to 6 months. It can be roughly £20K to £25K pa for a small unfurnished flat.
3) Will your husband be able to get a job?
4) Schooling is very expensive too
5) The heat is unbearable for 3 months of the year...45 to 50C so you will have to spend most of your time indoors then.
6) You have to have a plan in place of what you are going to do if either you or your husband looses your jobs. How long can you survive on your savings? If you decide to return to the Uk you have to bear in mind that you may not get your rent prepayment back. You also have to think about how this would affect your child's schooling.

oooooooh good points
I never thought about any of those points well some dont apply - however loved the heat for those 3 months - fricken cold now!

People are being laid off left right and centre here - however im told there is jobs still about - just remember newbies that you are fighting against the ones who are already here looking for work.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:12 am
Just Joined

jellymelly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
oooooooh good points
I never thought about any of those points well some dont apply - however loved the heat for those 3 months - fricken cold now!

People are being laid off left right and centre here - however im told there is jobs still about - just remember newbies that you are fighting against the ones who are already here looking for work.

Thank you indeed, all points are definately worth thinking about!

My husband is probably in a better position than me, ie he is not involved in construction or design! He does driving and security, is there much call for security or drivers out there??

As for the whether, it was -9 here last night!! Now thats cold!!
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jellymelly
My husband is probably in a better position than me, ie he is not involved in construction or design! He does driving and security, is there much call for security or drivers out there??
yeah there is, but not at western salaries...drivers get between 3-5k a month...

MM, xx
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:56 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
yeah there is, but not at western salaries...drivers get between 3-5k a month...

MM, xx
it saddens me how some people just don't understand this place doesn't it?
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:20 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
it saddens me how some people just don't understand this place doesn't it?
unless you've seen it, you can't know! There's a lovely (if slightly desperate) glitzy ad on telly here in GB at the moment trying to entice people to Dubai.

Come to Dubai - it's lovely
Come to Dubai - it's hot
Come to Dubai - it's luxurious
Come to Dubai - sample the wealth

who could resist?!
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:42 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
unless you've seen it, you can't know! There's a lovely (if slightly desperate) glitzy ad on telly here in GB at the moment trying to entice people to Dubai.

Come to Dubai - it's hot

who could resist?!

I see more of Dubai on the telly in the Uk than I do here
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty

Come to Dubai - it's hot

who could resist?!
Well exactly, I came here for the culture

Its very difficult to know what it is like here before you come, even on a short trip you dont really get it...

But hey it all depends on your circumstances, if you are single or in a couple then your risk is less, as no school fees etc but still its a gamble whatever, but then who knows what the next 12 months plus will bring... Not exactly looking rosy in the UK at the moment either...
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:56 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sky Blue
Well exactly, I came here for the culture
still looking?

I sincerely believe you can come to Dubai for a week or two and see everything there is to see, do everything there is to do and ironically, sample more of the "culture" than when you're actually living here. It's that superficial.

Anyhow, I've got blue sky and sunshine here in the UK atm too... although the lake in the park has frozen over.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:27 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jellymelly
Thank you indeed, all points are definately worth thinking about!

As for the whether, it was -9 here last night!! Now thats cold!!
what type of security?
Old Jan 6th 2009, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

DiggerBarnes is on a distinguished road

I dont know very much about delivery drivers or security in Dubai but I doubt if they would get paid very much.

In addition to the list that I gave you above, there are other things that you have to consider:

1) What are you going to do with your house in the UK? If you rent it out you need to have a term in the lease that allows you to terminate the lease with a months notice, incase you have to come back.
2) Transport - There is no public transport in Dubai (until the monorail is ready) so everyone communtes by car. Therefore you will have to either buy a car, rent a car or travel by taxi. Your husband will have the same problem unless he can share your car, if you are lucky enough to get jobs close together.
3) The built up area of Dubai is much bigger than people imagine before they arrive so you have to ensure that you live with an easy commute of where you work.
4) You need to earn a very good salary in Dubai to make it financially worthwhile coming. This is because the cost of living (particularly the rent and schools) is so high that it eats away at the tax savings. Somebody on a low salary would be better off financially staying in the UK because the tax paid in the UK would be less than the rent they would pay in Dubai. There is a cut off point for salaries below which financially it would not be worthwhile to move to Dubai. This will vary from person to person depending on how much rent they pay, whether they have kids etc. You also need to factor in the extra costs of trips home, etc.
5) The laws in Dubai are not the same as at home so your rights as an employee and a tenant will not be protected as much as they are in the UK.

I hope that this helps.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

sg800 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
oooooooh good points

This is the single best point made in this whole thread

I work in Property and Construction recruitment (QS/Commercial Managers personally but my colleague covers architecture and design). It has gone from an extremely candidate led market to an extremely client led market. Most employers want people with UAE experience as a) they settle quicker as no need to relocate b)less expensive as they dont need to relocate and c)loads of them around as they have been made redundant. Its pretty tricky getting interest in candidates who are not already here, but there are still some (albeit limited) opportunities.

Feel free to PM me for any further help or advice