British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   CV--Header (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/cv-header-483331/)

IndieG Sep 25th 2007 2:05 pm

Re: CV--Header

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5352272)
I applied to a few jobs all over the gulf region last year, every agency came back asking for marital status, age, nationality etc.

Yep, headhunters do that here and I find it very irritating.........

Cham128 Sep 25th 2007 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 5352585)

i remember the last interview I had in the UK... i arrived at the interview and they said... we didn't realise you'd be so young... although it's not "PC" i knew straight away i wasn't getting a second interview from that place.

The Dean Sep 25th 2007 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 5352585)

They often also ask for 'current or most recent remuneration package' or some such phrase.

This is an awkward one as "Mind your own F---ING business" (which is the correct answer) doesn't go down too well. Just be firm and say 'no' if they ask you for this, and it's definitely not for inclusion in a CV.

Also - don't be afraid to shout about your achievements - they don't see that as arrogant or inappropriate out here. And don't make the mistake of confusing 'achievements' with interests or hobbies - I know of a Saudi woman who had set up and run a publishing venture - she described it in her CV as a 'pastime'. It became a successful business (not easy for a female entrepreneur in the Magic Kingdom) and as such that was most certainly an 'achievement'.

IndieG Sep 25th 2007 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5352696)
They often also ask for 'current or most recent remuneration package' or some such phrase.

This is an awkward one as "Mind your own F---ING business" (which is the correct answer)

RAKBANK actually ask for your previous pay slip after you join them:mad: Happened to a friend of mine - that Bank is the pits to work for.....

Cham128 Sep 25th 2007 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 5352729)
RAKBANK actually ask for your previous pay slip after you join them:mad: Happened to a friend of mine - that Bank is the pits to work for.....

i like how that's "after" you join them... meaning that they'll change your contract....

*strikes rakbank off the list* anymore i should be weary of?

IndieG Sep 25th 2007 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5352776)
i like how that's "after" you join them... meaning that they'll change your contract....

*strikes rakbank off the list* anymore i should be weary of?

Apparently people inflate their salaries and say they will only move for X amount, since they are already earning Y. So they want to make sure you were actually earning Y :rolleyes:

Yep, strike them off your list...

Also: HSBC, Mashreq ......

Dubai_Chick Sep 25th 2007 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5352696)

This is an awkward one as "Mind your own F---ING business" (which is the correct answer) doesn't go down too well. Just be firm and say 'no' if they ask you for this, and it's definitely not for inclusion in a CV.

Also - don't be afraid to shout about your achievements - they don't see that as arrogant or inappropriate out here. And don't make the mistake of confusing 'achievements' with interests or hobbies - I know of a Saudi woman who had set up and run a publishing venture - she described it in her CV as a 'pastime'. It became a successful business (not easy for a female entrepreneur in the Magic Kingdom) and as such that was most certainly an 'achievement'.

Some employers do not like you to 'brag'. It can sometimes be seen as arrogance which does not always go down too well. It is a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 5352849)
Apparently people inflate their salaries and say they will only move for X amount, since they are already earning Y. So they want to make sure you were actually earning Y :rolleyes:

Yep, strike them off your list...

Also: HSBC, Mashreq ......

Sometimes inflating your salary is the only way to get ahead in business :D At least you don't have to hand in a P45 or the like here. Shocking that a bank would ask for a previous payslip :sneaky:

IndieG Sep 25th 2007 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai_Chick (Post 5352894)
Sometimes inflating your salary is the only way to get ahead in business :D At least you don't have to hand in a P45 or the like here. Shocking that a bank would ask for a previous payslip :sneaky:

Friend attended an interview in Mashreq 2 days ago, can you believe they wanted to see her 6 months bank statements - She said absolutely NO, she didn't get the job....

Dubai_Chick Sep 25th 2007 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 5352097)
That is a big no no - not unless you're applying to become a model.

I never include my age, religion, nationality, hobbies,marital status, "goals" etc etc on my CV.

I just have my name and contact details on the centre at the very top.

Then start with the current/last organisation you're working for on the left, with designation below. Then period of employment and place on the right.
Brief description of responsibilities (bullet points) and significant achievements.

Education - right at the end.

Ideally your CV should not be more than 2 pages long, 3 at the most.

My CV is structured very similar to this as well. I also have a section on skills which is relevant to my job. Likewise I have never included DOB, marital status etc. However these are some of the first questions I get asked in interviews :mad:

Dubai_Chick Sep 25th 2007 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 5352903)
Friend attended an interview in Mashreq 2 days ago, can you believe they wanted to see her 6 months bank statements - She said absolutely NO, she didn't get the job....

They are having a laugh :ohmy: I would have refused as well.

Inselaffen Sep 25th 2007 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 5352903)

lucky escape. One of my colleagues worked for another company in that group and had loads of problems with them.

crap bank as well!

zamboooka Sep 25th 2007 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5351207)
A lot of companies over here seem to like a photograph with the CV.....

FWIW, my feeling is that the UAE's pros out-weigh its cons, but inevitably that's going to depend on the person & the circumstance. There are really only 3 major factors that a person can change in their lives - where they live, where they work & their relationship. Moving abroad involves changing at least two if not all three of these!

Well put and said!

zamboooka Sep 25th 2007 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5351116)
Still over in Fujairah with my African friends...driving back tomorrow...I just fail to understand why anyone in their right mind would actively look to move here from the USA... but maybe it's the tax incentive or a love of Islam.

Whats holding you back dude? Seems like you're quite unhappy with the place and the religion... so... head to CA and see whats what!?

Cham128 Sep 26th 2007 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Dubai_Chick (Post 5352894)
Some employers do not like you to 'brag'. It can sometimes be seen as arrogance which does not always go down too well. It is a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

it's true... if you don't inflate your salary then you won't get anywhere... just get minimal pay rises every time you move company.

should be fun if they ask me as i'll hopefully be freelancing for the next few months to get enough money for the move but my pay will be all over the place

secretdubai Sep 29th 2007 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5356116)
it's true... if you don't inflate your salary then you won't get anywhere... just get minimal pay rises every time you move company.

should be fun if they ask me as i'll hopefully be freelancing for the next few months to get enough money for the move but my pay will be all over the place

The western CV header:

Name
Occupation
Date of Birth
Address

The Dubai CV header:

Name
Looks
Slimness
Skin colour
Nationality
Ethnicity
Religion
Religious sect
Tribe
Marital status
Hymen status (women only)
Number of wives (men only)
Father's name (women only)
Father's occupation (women only)
Father's date of birth (women only)
Father's permission (women only)

etc etc

How else can employers find that elusive "muslim keralite lady on husband's or father's visa, 25-35, slim and attractive appearance, fluent in English Arabic Hindi and Malayam"?