British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   CV--Header (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/cv-header-483331/)

fritztastic Sep 25th 2007 3:32 am

CV--Header

I've noticed the header on a resume used in Dubai is slightly different that the West--can someone confirm the following are correct, and in the correct order? Thanks!

Full Name
Occupation
Birthdate
Marital Status
Nationality
Current Location

Also, how do you explain on a resume you're looking for work in Dubai, and not yet there? I was thinking of including something akin to "Dubai relocation imminent. Prepared to travel for interview, relocate immediately."

thanks for your help!

lionheart Sep 25th 2007 5:14 am

Re: CV--Header

Originally Posted by fritztastic (Post 5350947)
I've noticed the header on a resume used in Dubai is slightly different that the West--can someone confirm the following are correct, and in the correct order? Thanks!

Full Name
Occupation
Birthdate
Marital Status
Nationality
Current Location

Also, how do you explain on a resume you're looking for work in Dubai, and not yet there? I was thinking of including something akin to "Dubai relocation imminent. Prepared to travel for interview, relocate immediately."

thanks for your help!

Sorry but who gives a toss about what order the headings are placed in? As for the Dubai aspect, just say "No objection to living in abject poverty, being treated as a second class citizen and walking to work" and you should be okay.

MataHari Sep 25th 2007 5:23 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5351081)
Sorry but who gives a toss about what order the headings are placed in? As for the Dubai aspect, just say "No objection to living in abject poverty, being treated as a second class citizen and walking to work" and you should be okay.

did you not have a fun night or something....

fritztastic Sep 25th 2007 5:30 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5351099)

you've been really helpful ;(

Meow Sep 25th 2007 5:30 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5351081)

Oh dear - someone got a crap, poorly paid job then?

Fritztastic - don't worry too much abou the order. Just make sure it is logical and no longer than 2 pages. Explain your circumstances in a covering letter.

lionheart Sep 25th 2007 5:30 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5351099)

Still over in Fujairah with my African friends...driving back tomorrow...I just fail to understand why anyone in their right mind would actively look to move here from the USA... but maybe it's the tax incentive or a love of Islam.

MataHari Sep 25th 2007 5:39 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5351116)
Still over in Fujairah with my African friends...driving back tomorrow...I just fail to understand why anyone in their right mind would actively look to move here from the USA... but maybe it's the tax incentive or a love of Islam.

We chose to come here over going to America...and I am happy we did

fritztastic Sep 25th 2007 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 5351115)
Fritztastic - don't worry too much abou the order. Just make sure it is logical and no longer than 2 pages. Explain your circumstances in a covering letter.

thanks--it is helpful.

I'm moving from the US for the experience. I've lived abroad twice (rome, hong kong), and would like one more go of it. I'm 35, recently single, debt-free...in short, nothing holding my back.

I'm not to keen on foreign languages, so I need a place where English is dominant, and jobs can be had. and dubai fits the bill. plus, i've never been there, and it seems like such a "now" city.

i live in los angeles, so cost of living seems similar. i live a modest life, so i'm not too worried about the costs.

lionheart Sep 25th 2007 5:50 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5351146)
We chose to come here over going to America...and I am happy we did

Maybe its the mosque just opposite the entrance to my villa which gets me down...its almost all night, every night these days...glad to escape to Fujairah, although its dry here with no liquor licence...my misses is begging me to relocate to California, mainly for the sake of our daughter.

jvr20 Sep 25th 2007 5:55 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5351181)
Maybe its the mosque just opposite the entrance to my villa which gets me down...its almost all night, every night these days...glad to escape to Fujairah, although its dry here with no liquor licence...my misses is begging me to relocate to California, mainly for the sake of our daughter.

you live in a villa and talk of being poorly paid... :blink:

shakh your bootie Sep 25th 2007 5:59 am

A lot of companies over here seem to like a photograph with the CV.....

FWIW, my feeling is that the UAE's pros out-weigh its cons, but inevitably that's going to depend on the person & the circumstance. There are really only 3 major factors that a person can change in their lives - where they live, where they work & their relationship. Moving abroad involves changing at least two if not all three of these!

jvr20 Sep 25th 2007 5:59 am

I've noticed the header on a resume used in Dubai is slightly different that the West

is this true?

In any case even in the West there are differences (traditionally) between say a British and an American CV/Resume... like the 'profile' section that comes at the very top on an American one, where it's a two-liner saying something like "XYZ is seeking to do such and such and further his experience in so and so field", which I didn't like at first but it's becoming more common even in the UK and can really add something to the CV.

I don't think an American resume style will look too out of place here to be honest. If it's what you're most familiar with I'd say think about just going for it.

lionheart Sep 25th 2007 6:02 am

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5351197)
you live in a villa and talk of being poorly paid... :blink:

At no time have I said I am poorly paid...others have said that on my behalf...unlike the 25 others sharing my bathroom!

Inselaffen Sep 25th 2007 6:36 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5351217)
At no time have I said I am poorly paid...others have said that on my behalf...unlike the 25 others sharing my bathroom!

do they also have University Degrees in International Relations? :p

Miss Eck Sep 25th 2007 6:48 am

Full Name
Occupation
Birthdate
Marital Status
Nationality
Current Location

thanks for your help!

I see lots of different formats of CVs land on my desk. I had one turn up in PowerPoint a few days ago which was dreadful!

What industry are you in?