Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Corniche-Advice please

Corniche-Advice please

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

n1na is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Corniche-Advice please

Just wanted to ask who lives in this area- is it ok place to live for a family with the children. The husband was offered an app over there (hoped we could find smth in Al raha gardens as children are going to Al Yasmina but...). Is there smth to do for the children or we will be just stuck in this app?
Thanks
Old Jul 4th 2008, 5:43 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corniche-Advice please

Originally Posted by n1na
Just wanted to ask who lives in this area- is it ok place to live for a family with the children. The husband was offered an app over there (hoped we could find smth in Al raha gardens as children are going to Al Yasmina but...). Is there smth to do for the children or we will be just stuck in this app?
Thanks
Its the posh end of Abu Dhabi and much nicer than Al Raha gardens. They have opened a new beach on the corniche and i think there is a cycle track along there somewhere. Loads of families live out here its quite near the mall. You can get to anywhere you want quite easily by car or taxi and join a beach club.
You dont state how old your kids are and what they are expecting to do out here!
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

cherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to all

Agree with everything twinkle-star said but don't forget that in an apartment you can't just send your kids out in the back garden/yard to play, every time they go out you have to go with them.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherrypie1
Agree with everything twinkle-star said but don't forget that in an apartment you can't just send your kids out in the back garden/yard to play, every time they go out you have to go with them.
yeah, i agree...if you've got young kids, and you can get a villa, then it's probably going to be better for them because they can play outside with no issues...

MM, xx
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

yes, the kids are small-7,6 and 1. The reason I asked about Corniche is that I got e-mail from the person who lived in this app before, kind of his impression. I have read a lot of postings about Corniche and is does sound like a poch place but what he wrote that over there are mainly single and couples without children. In fact, he did not see any children outside!
And only couple of small arabian food shops.
He also mentioned that to ge to the beach you have to cross a very busy road and most of the time you would not be able to be on the beach at all (as it gets very hot). Maythis app in some "bad" place in Corniche as his e-mail sounded very depressing
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

cherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to all

No, its not a bad place to live at all. There IS a major road in between the corniche and the buildings (3/4 lanes each way) but there are underpasses (nice ones, not like in the UK) and there are plenty of childrens parks/play areas around (obviously I can't comment on the apartment you are being offered). My major problem personally would be the children in an apartment. I have personal experience of this, my children are aged 12, 10, 3 and 1 and for the last 4 months we have been living in a hotel apartment and it is no fun. The children can't just go outside and play which means that either I have to get them all ready and take them out - which is difficult if it is nap time for my daughter or time to make dinner, etc. - or they have to stay in, which is no fun for them or for me, it has put a lot of pressure on us as a family. I do know a couple of people who live in apartments with children and they don't have a problem with it, they think its fine and the corniche is a very beautiful place to live, but my family cannot wait to get out of here and into a villa. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Forgot to say that you will probably use the beach a lot. The new public beach on the corniche looks fab and I can't wait to go to see it. This is our first summer here so don't know from first hand experience how much you will use it during the summer but from what I hear people normally go early in the morning or later in the afternoon. Not forgetting that the rest of the year is fine for the beach, we normally go every weekend. You have to make your own decision about this, don't let the previous tenant put you off if this is where you want to live.

Last edited by cherrypie1; Jul 4th 2008 at 1:04 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:34 pm
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by n1na
yes, the kids are small-7,6 and 1. The reason I asked about Corniche is that I got e-mail from the person who lived in this app before, kind of his impression. I have read a lot of postings about Corniche and is does sound like a poch place but what he wrote that over there are mainly single and couples without children. In fact, he did not see any children outside!
And only couple of small arabian food shops.
He also mentioned that to ge to the beach you have to cross a very busy road and most of the time you would not be able to be on the beach at all (as it gets very hot). Maythis app in some "bad" place in Corniche as his e-mail sounded very depressing
It depends where you are but there are supermarkets around and cafes, burger, pizza, kfc. Khaladia mall is close. Dont forget it is really hot out here so most people drive everywhere or get taxi's. Get you kids a nice play station...
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

having an apartment and being all on one level is quite good when you have little ones, no stairs etc plus depending on the size of the apartment they can ride bikes etc inside, there are loads of new parks and of course the new beach which depending on where the building is, and if you were anywhere located near to 30th st (the main road) it would only be a 20 or so mins drive to yasmina, although you do have to contend with 7 sets of traffic lights, which can at rush hour take a time to get through, but you learn exactly when to leave the house in order to minimise the driving time, 2 mins either way can really make a difference, plus you learn which roads to use and not use. we were in a smallish 3 bed flat with kids of that age, and it was ok, but we were in manasir area which were not high rise, only 3 floors etc, and the buildings not so cramped. if you can get a place at raha then that would be good, but i would defaintely take something along the corniche as well, obviously the previous tenent will not have the same situations as you, school run, kids, same ages of kids, etc etc, you have to make up your own mind as to what you think would work, but some people will go with something for a year and if it doesnt work you can look when the lease comes up for renewal, and it a years time there definately will be more properties around on offer than at the moment.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:15 pm
GTF
Just Joined

GTF is an unknown quantity at this point

We love near the corniche. Pretty good location, also makes it quick to get from one end of town to the other in the car..
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:20 pm
GTF
Just Joined

GTF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GTF
We love near the corniche. Pretty good location, also makes it quick to get from one end of town to the other in the car..
opps...........Should be live near..........
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

We used to live on the corniche and loved it - do you know whereabouts the appartment is and which floor it's on - we found it better to have a higher floor - less traffic noise. If you know the building name or a nearby landmark -shop etc you may get more info about it. Also best to make sure that you are on the sea facing side.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot for the info! The app is closer the corner Corniche road and Al khaleeg street (as understand from the map it is Al Bateen?). I dont have a feeling it is 20 min drive to Al Raha..it is so far away!
Old Jul 5th 2008, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Nina2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by busybee2
having an apartment and being all on one level is quite good when you have little ones, no stairs etc plus depending on the size of the apartment they can ride bikes etc inside, there are loads of new parks and of course the new beach which depending on where the building is, and if you were anywhere located near to 30th st (the main road) it would only be a 20 or so mins drive to yasmina, although you do have to contend with 7 sets of traffic lights, which can at rush hour take a time to get through, but you learn exactly when to leave the house in order to minimise the driving time, 2 mins either way can really make a difference, plus you learn which roads to use and not use. we were in a smallish 3 bed flat with kids of that age, and it was ok, but we were in manasir area which were not high rise, only 3 floors etc, and the buildings not so cramped. if you can get a place at raha then that would be good, but i would defaintely take something along the corniche as well, obviously the previous tenent will not have the same situations as you, school run, kids, same ages of kids, etc etc, you have to make up your own mind as to what you think would work, but some people will go with something for a year and if it doesnt work you can look when the lease comes up for renewal, and it a years time there definately will be more properties around on offer than at the moment.
Busybee, i had been told that Corniche (in particular, Al Salam Strt where ADCB bldg is, where my office may be) was a good 45 mins away from Al Yasmina....is that with the traffic lights not on your side? 45 vs 20 mins is a significant difference....i'll be moving to AD in end Sept, and had been dreading the thought of spending close to an hour travelling back and forth work everyday if we decide to live at al raha....so r u saying it'll be closer to half an hour? thanks for the input :-)
Old Jul 5th 2008, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherrypie1
Forgot to say that you will probably use the beach a lot. The new public beach on the corniche looks fab and I can't wait to go to see it. This is our first summer here so don't know from first hand experience how much you will use it during the summer but from what I hear people normally go early in the morning or later in the afternoon. Not forgetting that the rest of the year is fine for the beach, we normally go every weekend. You have to make your own decision about this, don't let the previous tenant put you off if this is where you want to live.
Went to the Corniche beach on Friday am to have a look, sand & the surrounding area is good but once you are in the sea you are upto your knees in clay !

Its like walking through Jelly, I think the beach past the EP is a better option, natural sand and better for kids, if my four year old daughter tried paddling in the sea at the Corniche she would probably disappear !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.