Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Coping with the emotional pain of living apart from family and making Dubai work

Coping with the emotional pain of living apart from family and making Dubai work

Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Zico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really nice
Default Re: Coping with the emotional pain of living apart from family and making Dubai work

would you....
Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:55 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coping with the emotional pain of living apart from family and making Dubai work

Originally Posted by Zico2009
would you....
well, not with meonline...he's getting on my tits enough as it is
Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:56 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:00 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

6,000 pounds is not that much money. Surely you can save the money within six months, and pay off your debt and return home.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Zico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really nice

...sounds interesting, can I have go on them?
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:01 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
6,000 pounds is not that much money. Surely you can save the money within six months, and pay off your debt and return home.
I thought that as well, but I have got a feeling that meonline is on a more 'Asian' salary.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:02 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zico2009
...sounds interesting, can I have go on them?
you're getting there...
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

you're getting there...
I wasnt suggesting to have a go in the meonline way!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:22 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

well, we're in a similar situation, apart from without mother and sister in tow... and no debts... and without family in Dubai.

Basically, Mr Kitty is in Dubai and I am in the UK with a 22 month old and a 3 week old. The big difference is that we came to this decision together and whilst it's not ideal, it's temporary and for good reason. I (and the sprogs) will be going back out in Oct for a couple of months and then again in the new year, to take us all, albeit limping, through to April. In between time, Mr Kitty comes back every month for a few days... again, not brilliant, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

In conclusion, you're not alone, but for goodness' sake, don't just wallow in self-pity - there's plenty you can do:
a/ leave sister to look after mum for a bit and ship your wife and kid out for a few weeks
b/ take a break - go back and see them
c/ focus on what you are achieving.

At the end of the day, if you can't help yourself, then no-one else can help you.

Oh, and not sure about your timescale, but your absense in the first few months of your kid's life won't have any long-term effects on her upbringing. Can you remember anything about your life before you were two? I certainly can't.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:33 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
well, we're in a similar situation, apart from without mother and sister in tow... and no debts... and without family in Dubai.

Basically, Mr Kitty is in Dubai and I am in the UK with a 22 month old and a 3 week old. The big difference is that we came to this decision together and whilst it's not ideal, it's temporary and for good reason. I (and the sprogs) will be going back out in Oct for a couple of months and then again in the new year, to take us all, albeit limping, through to April. In between time, Mr Kitty comes back every month for a few days... again, not brilliant, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

In conclusion, you're not alone, but for goodness' sake, don't just wallow in self-pity - there's plenty you can do:
a/ leave sister to look after mum for a bit and ship your wife and kid out for a few weeks

At the end of the day, if you can't help yourself, then no-one else can help you.

Oh, and not sure about your timescale, but your absense in the first few months of your kid's life won't have any long-term effects on her upbringing. Can you remember anything about your life before you were two? I certainly can't.
I remember EVERYTHING about my life before I was two....

It's since then I struggle with.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:50 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
I remember EVERYTHING about my life before I was two....

It's since then I struggle with.
what, your parents didn't water down your daily dose of gin?!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Timmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to all

I hate that word 'sprogs'

Everything else that you said makes sense
Old Jul 20th 2009, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

I know a few guys here without there families for various reasons - and yes I'm sure some of them are lonely. For our family it would be last choice if we had live apart.

I don't think the answer is to move your family out in the future - you need to focus on getting back.
I haven't read how you got yourself into debt - but can you not sell somethings that you don't need (watching too much cash in the attic). Can you sister get a second job? - look at you expenses - cut right back - think outside the box. take in a lodger - these are just some examples.

for the moment you are here so just get on with it - focus on your new goals.
If you look around you I'm sure you will see lots of people here without their families and I'm sure you better off than them so be thankful - there is always someone worse off than you isn't that what they always say.

Hope you are feeling a bit better

just to add I think your wife has the raw end of the deal with a young baby and a MIL!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 6:01 pm
ex-expat

Originally Posted by Timmy Molloy - London Boy
I hate that word 'sprogs'
"little'uns"?

ooo, actually, just looked at the verb "to sprog"... and well, I may have to reassess my vocabulary!

to sprog (third-person singular simple present sprogs, present participle sprogging, simple past and past participle sprogged)

(Australian slang) to ejaculate, to come
Old Jul 20th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Timmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to all

"little'uns"?

ooo, actually, just looked at the verb "to sprog"... and well, I may have to reassess my vocabulary!

to sprog (third-person singular simple present sprogs, present participle sprogging, simple past and past participle sprogged)

(Australian slang) to ejaculate, to come

LOL

I (innocently) used the word 'snaffling' thinking it meant thievery. When I looked it up was shocked.

Shame, cos I liked the word and used it often in conversation.

Last edited by Timmy Molloy - London Boy; Jul 20th 2009 at 6:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.