Considering Abu Dhabi

Considering Abu Dhabi

Old Sep 14th 2014, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Niall79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering Abu Dhabi

Hello everyone,
my first post so please be gentle :-)

I'm currently based in London, however I'm interviewing for a job in Abu Dhabi. Main motivation for moving would be money if I'm honest and main concern is how I would cope living in such a 'conservative' country.

I have done some research and I've found a few threads mentioning some kind of 'underground' gay life in Dubai and a relatively large community living there, but I think I have read virtually nothing on Abu Dhabi in that respect. If there is any gay guy who lives there who would be happy to chat I would be really grateful if I could hear their experience first hand.

Trivial question also: if I move there I would definitely want friends to come over and being able to let them stay at mine. So if I rent a 2 bed apt, can I not have (female) guests staying over at mine while they visit? Would they have to stay in a hotel? What about a couple of (married/unmarried) friends?
And what's with live-in maids then? How do so many people have live-in maids? I'm assuming they're women. Is that an 'exception' to the rule?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Niall79; Sep 14th 2014 at 10:39 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:31 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering Abu Dhabi

This thread will give you handy hints and tips, although Doha is much more conservative then the UAE you must always remember that homosexuality is illegal in the GCC. As a single male you cannot sponsor a maid, married couples often do because they can afford to out here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-...y-doha-835705/
Old Sep 15th 2014, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Niall79
Hello everyone,
my first post so please be gentle :-)

I'm currently based in London, however I'm interviewing for a job in Abu Dhabi. Main motivation for moving would be money if I'm honest and main concern is how I would cope living in such a 'conservative' country.

I have done some research and I've found a few threads mentioning some kind of 'underground' gay life in Dubai and a relatively large community living there, but I think I have read virtually nothing on Abu Dhabi in that respect. If there is any gay guy who lives there who would be happy to chat I would be really grateful if I could hear their experience first hand.

Trivial question also: if I move there I would definitely want friends to come over and being able to let them stay at mine. So if I rent a 2 bed apt, can I not have (female) guests staying over at mine while they visit? Would they have to stay in a hotel? What about a couple of (married/unmarried) friends?
And what's with live-in maids then? How do so many people have live-in maids? I'm assuming they're women. Is that an 'exception' to the rule?

Thanks in advance
Loads of gays across the GCC - your grinder app will be on fire.

No worries about having girls and men in the hotels. Not sure about those that tick both boxes at the same time.

Last edited by Millhouse; Sep 15th 2014 at 6:14 am.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 7:11 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

For most of my 4 1/2 years in AD and Dubai I shared an apartment with another guy (we're both straight--it was just for economic reasons). We also had various family members and friends staying from time to time. You won't have any issues just so long as you're discreet.

For all that the likes of the Daily Mail dress the country up as "conservative", there's a huge amount of hedonism that goes on.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Hilariously, even in Saudi it's a million times easier for two 'cousins' or workmates, etc to live together sharing a place than a straight mixed couple z(fake marriage certificates aside)
Old Sep 15th 2014, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

thanks everyone for your responses. I don't think you can blame the daily mail here (which I definitely do not read anyway). Human rights are 50 years behind the western world so it's a legitimate concern.

So if I have (female) friends visiting from Europe, I would be breaking the law if they stay at mine for a few days? That's as depressing as the whole gay issue.

Also is there any liberal destination nearby in the region where I could go to just to spend a weekend to get away? Somewhere I would not be liable to end up in jail? I would have thought Israel but I believe there are no direct flights, so it's not that easy to get there I guess, is there anywhere else?

Thanks again, and if there's anyone else who would want to share their opinion that'd be very welcome (especially gay guys living in AD?).
Old Sep 16th 2014, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

If you ride a bicycle on the road you're breaking the law here. But I still see plenty of people on bikes on the road...
Old Sep 16th 2014, 8:53 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Niall79

So if I have (female) friends visiting from Europe, I would be breaking the law if they stay at mine for a few days?
Technically, yes (although maybe only if you turn AC/DC for a bit). Practically its not an issue. I had numerous friends and acquaintances in AD and Dubai who cohabited and there were no issues. Discretion is the key (don't get a blowjob in a taxi, don't shag on the balcony, don't make an arse of yourself, and so on). There have been many cases of people cohabiting getting into trouble, but only when they've broken some other law--then the book gets thrown at them. Conversely, I've not heard of a single case where anyone got done for merely cohabiting. And the authorities know it goes on, coz every apartment block has cctv at the entrance and usually in the lifts. Just be sensible.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks, any other opinion is very welcome