Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Compounds in Riyadh

Compounds in Riyadh

Old Nov 4th 2009, 6:16 am
Just Joined

shar-irl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Compounds in Riyadh

Hi, does anyone live in Arabian Homes Compound in Riyadh? I would be interested to know how sociable the compound is. Do they have plenty of activities for children. I have two young children. I would also like to make some friends myself. I live in Saudi but we are thinking of moving compound. Kingdom and Al Hamra have also been recommended so would appreciate similar feedback on these two compounds too. Thanks
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:38 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compounds in Riyadh

Originally Posted by shar-irl
Hi, does anyone live in Arabian Homes Compound in Riyadh? I would be interested to know how sociable the compound is. Do they have plenty of activities for children. I have two young children. I would also like to make some friends myself. I live in Saudi but we are thinking of moving compound. Kingdom and Al Hamra have also been recommended so would appreciate similar feedback on these two compounds too. Thanks
Arabian Homes (if I am remembering right) is an older compound, but has a good community feel about it, nice restaurant and food. They also used to do a good quiz once a month.

I lived in Al Hamra for 2 years. Great facilities all round. Wave pool, satellite pools around various areas of compound, bowling alley, restaurant. Villas and apartments of a good standard as is the landscaping/surroundings.

If you have children, the British International School is literally next door to Al Hamra, through the back gate.

Recommended
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

shar-irl is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the information. We will take a look at both Al Hamra and Arabian. I have to say the access to the school could mean Al Hamra will be our choice as it would make life very easy. THanks again!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the information. We will take a look at both Al Hamra and Arabian. I have to say the access to the school could mean Al Hamra will be our choice as it would make life very easy. THanks again!
did you see the
Dean's guide to life in saudi
Worth reading...you will find it on top of the Middle East section
Old Nov 7th 2009, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

edinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of light

I live in Arabian Homes and have been to Al Hamra and Kingdom compounds also. I would say that for value for money AH is better than the other 2. AH is around 170k for a 3 bed villa and in Al Hamra it is more than that for a 3 bed apartment. I have friends on the compound who have kids and there seems to be quite a lot for them to do although mainly sporty activities I think. There are about 14 swimming pools, 3 tennis courts, 3 squash courts, decent restaurant, good gym, indoor football pitch and seems like there is always something happening somewhere on compound. However, the waiting list is pretty long and best to arrange to meet the manager to look around asap. Good Luck!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Banker_Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi .. I am hoping to get an offer from an employer to move to riyadh but can anyone tell me how to go about getting prices and availability for the various compounds? Not much indication on their websites. Do most employers include accomodation in the compensation package? Many thanks in advance
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi i posted on here a while ago the full as near enough list of the compounds here in riyadh.
it can be fund in the WILKI at the top of this page.
also a few other people have also posted prices etc.
Untill you get your Iqama and your papers all sorted out, no compound manager will even look at you.
Unless your company sorts it all out for you before you come over here.
as for the availability of places within each compound , its really the luck of the draw and if you have a handfull of cash on you at tthe right time.
My compound has 1 space left, but it has been said before compound accom is like rockin horde manure.
Hard to find !!.
Please make sure your new company, here in the land that time forgot sorts it all out before you arrive here ok.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:02 am
Just Joined

That's great ... many thanks for the advice and tips Coffindodger. Will keep you posted ... next stage is interviews over in Riyadh in the coming weeks, followed by offer of a job (hopefully) and house search etc. Just in ball park terms, what should I expect to pay for a 3 bed house on a good compound? Should I be asking my potential employer to cough up? Cheers
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

As part of the labour law here in the costa del land that time forgot, Your employer should either give you xxx amount of money and then you find your own way out in this big wide world, or they find you and pay for the accomm.
But as i said You need to have all the paperwork in place first.
Best of luck.
Danjj posted recently some prices for the up market compounds.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Get the company to agree to provide a 3-bed villa on a compound in your contract. X amount of money might seem good initially but if rents go up which they will as more people seem to be heading for Saudi you could find yourself eventually out of pocket as rents rise and your allowance doesn't.

And it's been said before, but I will say it again, make sure you have accommodation sorted before you arrive.

Good luck
N
Old Nov 10th 2009, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for all the quick replies and tips .. invaluable stuff for a novice to KSA like me .... next round is on me!