Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Coming Back to UAE!!!!

Coming Back to UAE!!!!

Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:32 am
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coming Back to UAE!!!!

I lived in Al Ain for 2 years with my DH. I have been back in NZ for a year now and DH is now in Dubai. I am heading back in a few weeks and was wondering if I need to book a return flight? I was under the impression that I had to have a flight out of the UAE but have just spoken to a friend in Al Ain whose daughter has come to live with her for a year and she came in on a one way ticket. I would much prefer to just buy a one way as it is hugely expensive to fly from NZ. Does anyone know what the true state of affairs is? Common sense tells me that if you are on a visit visa then you must show evidence that you intend to leave the country at some stage but now I am confused after my friend who is a UAE Resident and her daughter both entered on a one way ticket?

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming Back to UAE!!!!

Originally Posted by larnie
I lived in Al Ain for 2 years with my DH. I have been back in NZ for a year now and DH is now in Dubai. I am heading back in a few weeks and was wondering if I need to book a return flight? I was under the impression that I had to have a flight out of the UAE but have just spoken to a friend in Al Ain whose daughter has come to live with her for a year and she came in on a one way ticket. I would much prefer to just buy a one way as it is hugely expensive to fly from NZ. Does anyone know what the true state of affairs is? Common sense tells me that if you are on a visit visa then you must show evidence that you intend to leave the country at some stage but now I am confused after my friend who is a UAE Resident and her daughter both entered on a one way ticket?

Thanks in advance
if you have residence in UAE then no return flight needed. If you don't they probably won't let you on the plane.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Dubai (but do not have a residence visa). Thus whenever I come back to Dubai, I do not have a return ticket. Never been questioned/checked etc.

I've been doing it for the past 5 years.

Of course now I've said that, when I return (end of Sept) they'll check
Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB
I live in Dubai (but do not have a residence visa). Thus whenever I come back to Dubai, I do not have a return ticket. Never been questioned/checked etc.

I've been doing it for the past 5 years.

Of course now I've said that, when I return (end of Sept) they'll check
Hey!

Thanks for responding. I thought I would just let you know that I rang Emirates as it flys out of my city here in NZ and they said that I must have a return ticket or at least a ticket out of Dubai and that if I turned up to book in without one I would not be allowed to board the plane!
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light

Hey!

Thanks for responding. I thought I would just let you know that I rang Emirates as it flys out of my city here in NZ and they said that I must have a return ticket or at least a ticket out of Dubai and that if I turned up to book in without one I would not be allowed to board the plane!
Larnie.

I fly quite a bit and I've NEVER had that problem. And 90% of the time, i'm flying one way because my husband's company pays. The other time i fly on my dad's passes ( retired UAL ) I have never had to show my ticket upon entering Dubai. Only my passport. I do however from the originating airport get the extra special security that includes the pat down ( i always ask for a free shoulder massage ) and lets see everything in your carry on bag treatment because my ticket shows one way. Find out if you purchase a refundable round trip ticket will they honor refunding the return flight ? Best of luck and welcome back !!!
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

Hey!

Hi Larnie,
When I came out to Dubai in April I flew out with Emirates on a one way ticket with no problem. I was not asked any questions etc.
I was incidently flying from Birmingham, UK not NZ so rules may be different.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 10:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by 954RR
Hi Larnie,
When I came out to Dubai in April I flew out with Emirates on a one way ticket with no problem. I was not asked any questions etc.
I was incidently flying from Birmingham, UK not NZ so rules may be different.
I thought maybe it was just NZ so I asked if I could fly one way on a British passport as I have dual NZ and British Citizenship and got the same answer. Anyway I booked my ticket this morning so I now one step closer to coming back only 7 weeks and 2 days to go!
Old Sep 13th 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

I thought maybe it was just NZ so I asked if I could fly one way on a British passport as I have dual NZ and British Citizenship and got the same answer. Anyway I booked my ticket this morning so I now one step closer to coming back only 7 weeks and 2 days to go!
So I assume you had to go with an open return?
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by 954RR
So I assume you had to go with an open return?
Yes a return flight to NZ exiting the UAE in 30 days but the flight is open to change for 12 months. I will just have to do border runs until I have residency then at least I have a trip back home by which time I can then fly back one way!!