Chinese

Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chinese

Can anyone recommend a good place to learn Chinese here or if there is a good private tutor anyone knows of?

Cheers

KC
X
Old Jan 5th 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Chinese

Wow!! Is this for you? I offer chinese eating lessons but cant speak a word
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep its for me and a couple of colleagues, as all our production is in china it would help loads as we have a few issues with communication- as in they don't speak very good english and we speak no chinese- would also be a great thing to have on the CV and would impress people in the pub!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:00 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Can anyone recommend a good place to learn Chinese here or if there is a good private tutor anyone knows of?

Cheers

KC
X
Howza 'bout China, china?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

I think Rattlesnake would be your best bet
Old Jan 6th 2010, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
I think Rattlesnake would be your best bet
that idea isn't as crazy as it first sounds. I'm sure some of the girls in there would be capable of acting as a translator to overcome manufacturing issues!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Try International City?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 3:54 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you mean Mandarin? Pop along to Dragonmart and ask anyone there. Alternatively, advertise on expatriates.com if you can overcome the UAE censorship.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:38 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

KC
X
Berlitz & Eton Institute both offer courses in numerous languages.

-
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

emt14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check chinesepod .com
Spent 2years in China and that's definitely the best podcast to learn to speak mandarin.

Zajian.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

iseeyou is on a distinguished road

Maybe I can be some of help.Could you PM me your contact?

Cheers

KC
X
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:52 am
Banned

GrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud of

Yep its for me and a couple of colleagues, as all our production is in china it would help loads as we have a few issues with communication- as in they don't speak very good english and we speak no chinese- would also be a great thing to have on the CV and would impress people in the pub!
"Chinese" (and it is always Mandarin, as a dialect is not to be confused with the main language, like Welsh cannot be taken for English) is one of the most difficult language in the world to learn. Of a different family all together from the Indo-European ones, it is in reality three languages: the spoken one, the written one, the read one. You learn it separately. It has some 4000 years of written recorded history, to give you an idea the complex of Greek-Latin-Italian spans around 3000 (and I am stretching it a lot). Business-wise, they will never speak Chinese with you, I believe, resolving always to English, so if you wanna do it for that, fuggeddabboutit. And for the same reason you are trying to learn it: your communication skill will be so poor that they will switch to the best available: whatever they call "English".

Just do it for fun! It is very fun to learn, and so rewarding. History, literature, cinema, you name it, they got it, plenty. I gave once a thriller-ghost stories' collection (XVIII century) to a friend of mine who had no idea, he found it so engrossing he is an avid fan of Chinese literature now. And I'm not talking of the American one from the like of Amy Tan and Co, I am talking "mainland".

That said, in Dubai there was not (I am not sure there is now) a structure or someone with enough competence and confidence to teach proficiently Chinese to adults, you can place your bet and let me know, should I know of someone I'll do the same, but in general you might simply want to hire a young Chinese lady who speaks gudenuf English, THAT might help, commercially.
But be aware, if she's smart, she'll take over you and your business in a few years, easy.

学到老学不了
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:32 am
Just Joined

iseeyou is on a distinguished road

GrecoRomano seems to have a deep study in Chinese culture and you really have some original understanding about it.Curiously want to know you have much experience with Chinese guys? and the explanation about your last Chinese characters?

Originally Posted by GrecoRomano
"Chinese" (and it is always Mandarin, as a dialect is not to be confused with the main language, like Welsh cannot be taken for English) is one of the most difficult language in the world to learn. Of a different family all together from the Indo-European ones, it is in reality three languages: the spoken one, the written one, the read one. You learn it separately. It has some 4000 years of written recorded history, to give you an idea the complex of Greek-Latin-Italian spans around 3000 (and I am stretching it a lot). Business-wise, they will never speak Chinese with you, I believe, resolving always to English, so if you wanna do it for that, fuggeddabboutit. And for the same reason you are trying to learn it: your communication skill will be so poor that they will switch to the best available: whatever they call "English".

Just do it for fun! It is very fun to learn, and so rewarding. History, literature, cinema, you name it, they got it, plenty. I gave once a thriller-ghost stories' collection (XVIII century) to a friend of mine who had no idea, he found it so engrossing he is an avid fan of Chinese literature now. And I'm not talking of the American one from the like of Amy Tan and Co, I am talking "mainland".

That said, in Dubai there was not (I am not sure there is now) a structure or someone with enough competence and confidence to teach proficiently Chinese to adults, you can place your bet and let me know, should I know of someone I'll do the same, but in general you might simply want to hire a young Chinese lady who speaks gudenuf English, THAT might help, commercially.
But be aware, if she's smart, she'll take over you and your business in a few years, easy.

学到老学不了
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:00 am
Banned

GrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iseeyou
GrecoRomano seems to have a deep study in Chinese culture and you really have some original understanding about it.Curiously want to know you have much experience with Chinese guys?
Not much, have to say I still prefer Chinese girls.

and the explanation about your last Chinese characters?
"Xue dao lao, xue bu liao", you study until you get old, you study and you never finish to. The Chinese say it merrily, and I relate to that.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

outerspace is an unknown quantity at this point

would be interested to hear if anyone's taken or heard of reasonable mandarin classes/tutoring being offered in Abu Dhabi.

wonder if i could just walk in to some of the chinese run restaurants near the gold souk and ask...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.