Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Changing jobs? Read this first, just in case...

Changing jobs? Read this first, just in case...

Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:43 am
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Changing jobs? Read this first, just in case...

Originally Posted by Spugsy
actually.....me and mrs spugsy were thinking of maybe coming to live and work in Amsterdam one day, not sure if its viable though, and mrs spugsy is a bit worried about me being in amsterdam full time as well.
Like every big city it has it's up and down side. I live in a renovated warehouse in the old harbor area. Bought it years ago with two other couples and it's now completely renovated. Work wise Amsterdam would be great for you, the language barrier hardly exists here. And with the Dutch companies screaming for qualified people I would say go for it. You have British Schools here, and yes the o so popular British Pubs as well. Holland is a real Multi Cultural society.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:07 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dutchie
Like every big city it has it's up and down side. I live in a renovated warehouse in the old harbor area. Bought it years ago with two other couples and it's now completely renovated. Work wise Amsterdam would be great for you, the language barrier hardly exists here. And with the Dutch companies screaming for qualified people I would say go for it. You have British Schools here, and yes the o so popular British Pubs as well. Holland is a real Multi Cultural society.
Yeah I thought as much, I'm a designer, working on brochures, press ads etc, now do they do a lot of english language magazines, newspapers etc over there? And they do speak proper english yeah? not like the bloody americans who just shoehorn a 'z' in our words and chance they get.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:32 am

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Yeah I thought as much, I'm a designer, working on brochures, press ads etc, now do they do a lot of english language magazines, newspapers etc over there? And they do speak proper english yeah? not like the bloody americans who just shoehorn a 'z' in our words and chance they get.
Hmmmm... We are not British but yes, master both versions of English if required. At least we adapt, can't say the same thing for the UN that spends 28.6 million Euro's each year on translating UK English into US English and visa versa. But the French thought what the Brits can do we can do to. So if you send and official request to a French Government Employee nowadays for his or her email address (and I speak out of personal experience) he or she will come back to you with the kind remark "Please use the proper French word for email..." It's all bullshit if you ask me, a language is used to cover a barrier, one automatically assumes the other doesn't master it to perfection. Adapt or go under my dear Spugsy...
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:38 am

Prime example? Look what's happening to Belgium, most likely we the Dutch will end up with half the country added, the French the other half. Language is a key, nothing more, nothing less...
Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:07 am
Just Joined

evolution is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah sure they do...and the moon is made of cheese.
i worked there for 7 years and used to make 65000 + bonus and never payed for food or car/gas/ rent.. everything free
Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:37 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evolution
i worked there for 7 years and used to make 65000 + bonus and never payed for food or car/gas/ rent.. everything free
what the hell were you doing then?
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Same as what he's been doing for the last 5 hours; thinking...
Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Computer engineering
Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Confucius
Same as what he's been doing for the last 5 hours; thinking...
well i moved to canada and i work during the day you know