Causeway question

Old Aug 3rd 2013, 12:37 pm
Banned

Chipsnsalsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Causeway question

Hello my dear old things! (Ashes reference for those with a vee pee enn)

I'm currently residing in the Magic Kingdom, where my employer has been kind enough to furnish me with a motorcar for my personal and professional needs. However, I have just discovered that, while I am thankfully permitted to make periodic departures from the land of the two holy places, my automobile is not!

Try as I might to persuade my masters of the essential gayness (as the kids would put it) of their policy, they have proved as inflexible as a mutawa with a church building application. As such, I have the following question, to which one, or indeed more than one of you denizens of the Bahrain bridge might be good enough to respond:

Is it possible to drive to the checkpoints in the middle island of the causeway, park one's car on the Saudi side, proceed through the Saudi and Bahraini immigration on foot, and get a lift with someone on the Bahraini side who does not have permission to enter Saudi?

That is to say, is parking available (and preferably non-extortionate for a few days stay) on either side of the customs and immigration? Is it a short walk between the two? And can someone in Bahrain drive right up to said checkpoint to meet me when I come through?

Forgive my ignorance, having never used the causeway before. Many thanks to any and all respondents (well, those who reply with useful information anyway! )
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Causeway question

Get the bus.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:44 pm
Banned

I live in Riyadh. Anyone who isn't a sarcastic arse care to reply?
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

How was it sarcastic ? Use the bus. It will make your life easier. Park your car in downtown Khobar and get the service bus which runs on a regular timetable from Khobar (an Dammam) to Manama. Parking in Dammam might be easier.

Next time someone offers help, do not insult him.

Last edited by scot47; Aug 3rd 2013 at 5:05 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Catch a flight....sarcastic arse in Dubai
Old Aug 4th 2013, 9:29 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Catch a flight....sarcastic arse in Dubai
Exactly, the drive from Riyadh to Bahrain is not easy especially at the weekends when all the nutters take to the road
Old Aug 4th 2013, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

From what I've heard, you have several options. Park in Khobar/Dammam and get the bus or a taxi. Getting the bus means a longer wait on the causeway where you all get off and check in, the sniffer dogs come out, etc. The taxi is approx 240sar each way?

The third is the train to Dammam (a friend did that recently, I wouldn't advise it) then a bus/taxi.

The fourth is obviously to weigh up about travel time/energy expenditure, costs, etc and fly.

The lunacy with getting a car over the border and the paperwork/stamps involved is a real turn off when thinking of driving over there or Dubai
Old Aug 4th 2013, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Riyadh-Dammam train is actually pretty good. More like Finnish Railways than Indian Railways. It does take time though. The route is through Hofuf rather than direct. Saudi railways have a website -in English and Arabic.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

There are unrealistic expectations that your connecting buses will arrive or depart on time. A workmate wen the train/bus route recently and he said never again.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Taxi is probably best. Dammam to Bahrain 300. Khobar to Bahrain 250.

Negotiable around those figures. For 4 of you that is cheaper than the bus !
Old Aug 4th 2013, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Bog Man is an unknown quantity at this point

I seem to remember that you could park on the central island - even have a burger and go up the tower to admire the view! Many TCNs seemed to consider this a treat on their day off! I suppose you could therefore meet someone from BH to take you the rest of the way?
Old Aug 4th 2013, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is a tower there on the central island with a revolving restaurant at the top. I never knew anyone who went up there. Maybe TCN territory ?
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:19 pm
Banned

Scot47, I apologise if you were being serious: knowing the state of public transport here in KSA I assumed you were taking the piss. As Beakersful says, I wouldn't want to rely on it out here.

I know I can fly, but as it'll probably be a one-off I thought it'd be interesting to take a road trip eastwards. What I was hoping for was what Bog Man (a new Marvel character?) suggested, ie parking on the central island, and being picked up by my friend on the Bahrain side of immigration, thus saving time and 500 SR in taxi fees.

Does anyone who crosses the cauiseway regularly know if this is possible: to leave your car (which is not allowed to leave KSA) on the Saudi side of the central island; walk through immigration; and be picked up and driven off by a Bahrain resident (without a KSA visa) on the Bahraini side of the central island?
Old Aug 9th 2013, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipsnsalsa
Scot47, I apologise if you were being serious: knowing the state of public transport here in KSA I assumed you were taking the piss. As Beakersful says, I wouldn't want to rely on it out here.

I know I can fly, but as it'll probably be a one-off I thought it'd be interesting to take a road trip eastwards. What I was hoping for was what Bog Man (a new Marvel character?) suggested, ie parking on the central island, and being picked up by my friend on the Bahrain side of immigration, thus saving time and 500 SR in taxi fees.

Does anyone who crosses the cauiseway regularly know if this is possible: to leave your car (which is not allowed to leave KSA) on the Saudi side of the central island; walk through immigration; and be picked up and driven off by a Bahrain resident (without a KSA visa) on the Bahraini side of the central island?
The latter - yes. Perfectly possible, and many do it.