Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Which Car Question

Which Car Question

Old Apr 5th 2016, 7:53 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
WowEyes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 36
WowEyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which Car Question

Hi,

Hubby insisting on buying a showy car (BMW/Merc/Audi/Lexus/ Other) whereas I would personally like something that can comfortably accommodate 4 adults and 3 kids and more practical for shopping and school runs.

In past places, I have tended to buy cars that are low maintenance and where the service centres come highly recommended so that problems are fixed easily and with least embarrassment, bother, or cost.

Also, looking to buy something pre-owned, but fairly new (like 6-10 months old).


Would love your opinions.

Truth be told, I am more into safety and features (I like my ipod ports!) rather than logos.

Cheers,

Last edited by WowEyes; Apr 5th 2016 at 7:55 am. Reason: bad spellings.
WowEyes is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2016, 8:13 am
  #2  
Go on.. Pull my finger..
 
TGFKASE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,692
TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Car Question

Originally Posted by WowEyes View Post
Hi,

Hubby insisting on buying a showy car (BMW/Merc/Audi/Lexus/ Other) whereas I would personally like something that can comfortably accommodate 4 adults and 3 kids and more practical for shopping and school runs.

In past places, I have tended to buy cars that are low maintenance and where the service centres come highly recommended so that problems are fixed easily and with least embarrassment, bother, or cost.

Also, looking to buy something pre-owned, but fairly new (like 6-10 months old).


Would love your opinions.

Truth be told, I am more into safety and features (I like my ipod ports!) rather than logos.

Cheers,
For me, you cant go wrong with a Dodge Durango. Owned 2 of them now in this part of the world. You'll be able to pick up a 6-10 months old Limited or R/T, if you are feeling sporty, with the maintenance package included, for anywhere from 130K to 170K...

Ive had 4 adults and 3 kids, 2 of them in car seats, comfortably seated, and with the specs above, you;ll have ports for you and hubby up front, whilst those in the back can have their own listening pleasure..
TGFKASE is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2016, 8:15 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
WowEyes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 36
WowEyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which Car Question

Thanks TGFKASE - I dont want to sound like a wimp but the Dodge has always looked very intimidating to me.... Kinda like a tank. But I guess its a good option to take it offroading in Oman (in my dreams?!?!?!)
WowEyes is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2016, 8:17 am
  #4  
Go on.. Pull my finger..
 
TGFKASE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,692
TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Car Question

Originally Posted by WowEyes View Post
Thanks TGFKASE - I dont want to sound like a wimp but the Dodge has always looked very intimidating to me.... Kinda like a tank. But I guess its a good option to take it offroading in Oman (in my dreams?!?!?!)
Is it your first time driving over here?
TGFKASE is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2016, 8:30 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,187
DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Car Question

Get the Prado.

Enough prestige to satisfy your husband, but dull and safe enough to satisfy you. Fantastic resale. Very reliable. Stick with Japanese all the way through. I wouldn't touch European or American in this part of the world.
DXBtoDOH is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2016, 8:35 am
  #6  
Go on.. Pull my finger..
 
TGFKASE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,692
TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Car Question

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH View Post
Get the Prado.

Enough prestige to satisfy your husband, but dull and safe enough to satisfy you. Fantastic resale. Very reliable. Stick with Japanese all the way through. I wouldn't touch European or American in this part of the world.
First time I have seen the words Prado and prestige so close together.... Christ, there is more space in the dictionary..!!!

I always associate Prado's with sub-continent drivers who dream, maybe one day, of driving a LandCruiser. In the meantime, they tend to drive the same way a local drives a LandCruiser... And I honestly believe it is those same sub-continent drivers who keep the residual value up on these. You would, of course, have to keep the shipping stickers on the windshield, the blue foam transport 'rubber' stick-ons attached, and the plastic sheeting all over the interior to get top dollar for a used one..

Last edited by TGFKASE; Apr 5th 2016 at 8:39 am.
TGFKASE is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2016, 8:44 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
WowEyes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 36
WowEyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which Car Question

Originally Posted by TGFKASE View Post
Is it your first time driving over here?

I have been driving for over a decade but never in an aggressive environment.

I was a bit worried about Asian vehicles as I have heard (maybe not true) that they are not as sturdy as their European counterparts. And that for safety reasons, European car-makers are the best even though they lack in customer focused design (read cool features - auto headlights and the like).


Anyways, I'm just a gal so will wait for the tough guys on the forum to educate me.
WowEyes is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2016, 8:47 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,187
DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Car Question

I don't disagree with you. The Prado is overvalued and overdesired. But there's more than quite a few westerners driving Prados too. Not just Indians. The same can be said about the Pajeros. Some people mock the Pajeros but tons of Westerners drive them too.

If you don't really care about cars, as the OP doesn't seem to, it's hard to fault the Prado. Big enough for a family. Very reliable. Excellent safety and maintenance record, and when the time comes, fantastic resale. Probably the best resale of any car in the UAE. Even a 7-8 year old Prado goes for more than 50% of original sale price. That's all a non-car person is looking for.

Originally Posted by TGFKASE View Post
First time I have seen the words Prado and prestige so close together.... Christ, there is more space in the dictionary..!!!

I always associate Prado's with sub-continent drivers who dream, maybe one day, of driving a LandCruiser. In the meantime, they tend to drive the same way a local drives a LandCruiser... And I honestly believe it is those same sub-continent drivers who keep the residual value up on these. You would, of course, have to keep the shipping stickers on the windshield, the blue foam transport 'rubber' stick-ons attached, and the plastic sheeting all over the interior to get top dollar for a used one..
DXBtoDOH is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2016, 8:50 am
  #9  
Go on.. Pull my finger..
 
TGFKASE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,692
TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Car Question

Originally Posted by WowEyes View Post
I have been driving for over a decade but never in an aggressive environment.

I was a bit worried about Asian vehicles as I have heard (maybe not true) that they are not as sturdy as their European counterparts. And that for safety reasons, European car-makers are the best even though they lack in customer focused design (read cool features - auto headlights and the like).


Anyways, I'm just a gal so will wait for the tough guys on the forum to educate me.
Whilst you may think, right now, the Durango is a tank, believe me that, once you are driving here, you will quickly realise you need to be seen to ensure that you are not driven off the road by less well-trained drivers...

PS. I dont work for Al Futtaim......
TGFKASE is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2016, 8:54 am
  #10  
Go on.. Pull my finger..
 
TGFKASE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,692
TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Car Question

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH View Post
I don't disagree with you. The Prado is overvalued and overdesired. But there's more than quite a few westerners driving Prados too. Not just Indians. The same can be said about the Pajeros. Some people mock the Pajeros but tons of Westerners drive them too.

If you don't really care about cars, as the OP doesn't seem to, it's hard to fault the Prado. Big enough for a family. Very reliable. Excellent safety and maintenance record, and when the time comes, fantastic resale. Probably the best resale of any car in the UAE. Even a 7-8 year old Prado goes for more than 50% of original sale price. That's all a non-car person is looking for.
Ah yes, the Pajero...

Can never see myself driving a Mitsubishi 'Wanker'..... Of course, in Spain the dont call it a Pajero, the call it a Montero, which I like to amend to Colmo Montero....
TGFKASE is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2016, 8:56 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,187
DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Car Question

Not sure why you were told that. Japanese cars (not talking about any Chinese crap) easily outlast their European counterparts. I have no particular bias but there's a reason for why Jap cars are so popular.

Euro cars are generally more customer focused if you're talking about fancy features. As for safety it comes down more to the model. Volvos are very safe.

Look, this is what you will find waiting outside school gates in Dubai:

Prado. Prado. Prado. Prado. Pajers. Pajero. Pajero. Pajero. Prado. Prado. Prado. Pajero. Pajero. Pajero. And a couple big Audis and Mercs and Land Cruisers and Tauregs and Explorers. But a solid half of the cars will be Prados or Pajeros. And these are western mums like you driving those cars.

Are you only getting one car? Why not get a Pajero and let your husband get the sporty / fancy car of his dreams?

Originally Posted by WowEyes View Post
I was a bit worried about Asian vehicles as I have heard (maybe not true) that they are not as sturdy as their European counterparts. And that for safety reasons, European car-makers are the best even though they lack in customer focused design (read cool features - auto headlights and the like).


Anyways, I'm just a gal so will wait for the tough guys on the forum to educate me.
DXBtoDOH is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2016, 9:51 am
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
nottmbantam's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Riyadh.
Posts: 1,831
nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Car Question

Would concur with earlier comments - stick with Japanese cars - Toyota, Nissan or Mitsubishi. Avoid American cars ( cheaper to buy, cheaper parts, but truly dreadful machines ).

I hate the Prado and hate Prado drivers. All a set of w*nkers. I guess an FJ Cruiser is out of the equation due to family requirements? If I was in the market for a motor, I'd go with a 2016 Nissan Patrol.
nottmbantam is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2016, 9:58 am
  #13  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,592
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Car Question

Get a Pajero, Prado or Fortuner. Case closed.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2016, 11:27 am
  #14  
Go on.. Pull my finger..
 
TGFKASE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,692
TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Car Question

Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
Would concur with earlier comments - stick with Japanese cars - Toyota, Nissan or Mitsubishi. Avoid American cars ( cheaper to buy, cheaper parts, but truly dreadful machines ).

I hate the Prado and hate Prado drivers. All a set of w*nkers. I guess an FJ Cruiser is out of the equation due to family requirements? If I was in the market for a motor, I'd go with a 2016 Nissan Patrol.
I'm interested to understand why you class American vehicles as truly dreadful. I have owned all 3 types of vehicle (Asian/Euro/Yank) and here are my thoughts.

15 years ago, Yank was shit. Euro was good but pricey, Asia was uninspiring but cheap.

In the intervening years, I've both lived in these areas and owned these 3 types of vehicle, usually 1 local and one of the other 2. I have to say that, for big 'trucks', the Yanks know what they are doing. For all out muscle 4dr's, they also know what they are doing. For refinement, Euro's get it, but you pay thru the nose and, for some reason, the ME has the highest parts prices I've seen for Euro cars.

Asian are... Well... Asian. Cheap, get the job done, but don't light any fires regards safety, refinement, performance etc..

I currently own a Jag for me, and a Durango for Mrs TGFKASE. More has gone wrong with the Jag than the Dodge. The mirrors wouldn't fold on the Jag, and they fixed it FOC. That's it....

Any Asian motor I've owned has been a mare from day one..
TGFKASE is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2016, 11:39 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,187
DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Car Question

Perhaps your experience was the exception? I don't doubt there are decently made American cars just as there are poorly made Asian cars, but I base the statement on not just my own experience but what many people have shared with me over the years. And there's a pretty broad consensus on one thing, especially if you're a UAE car owner:

Want reliable and inexpensive to operate and maintain with good resale? Buy Asian. More specifically, buy Japanese. They have fantastic reliability and maintenance reputations and that doesn't come from nothing.

You're likely correct that American cars have greatly improved in the last decade and are now comparable to a number of Japanese cars in terms of reliability, out here in the UAE the downside is that the cost of maintenance and servicing tends to be quite high, which makes them a headache if you just want a reliable car to get from point A to point B.

What I'm about to say is just my own perspective on the design aesthetics of American cars. They're for fat people. Too big. The interiors are too soft and plush and filled with cheap plastic and cup holders for the American's favourite Big Gulp. I'm sure you can point out the exception but that's what I think of when I see American cars. Fat people waddling and driving 25m when they could walk instead. I guess that's my bias and it's no worse than you thinking of wankers when you see a Prado or Pajero

Originally Posted by TGFKASE View Post

Any Asian motor I've owned has been a mare from day one..
DXBtoDOH is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.