Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Which Car Question

Which Car Question

Old Apr 5th 2016, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Car Question

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
What I'm about to say is just my own perspective on the design aesthetics of American cars. They're for fat people. Too big. The interiors are too soft and plush and filled with cheap plastic and cup holders for the American's favourite Big Gulp. I'm sure you can point out the exception but that's what I think of when I see American cars. Fat people waddling and driving 25m when they could walk instead. I guess that's my bias and it's no worse than you thinking of wankers when you see a Prado or Pajero
I couldn't agree more - I can't stand American cars (just like I can't stand Americans).....American cars are just blah, like seriously blah.....for me personally I much prefer German cars.

I am not very up on 4x4/SUV's but if you are looking for a good, decent sports car, then I know my stuff
Old Apr 5th 2016, 12:00 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps your experience was the exception? I don't doubt there are decently made American cars just as there are poorly made Asian cars, but I base the statement on not just my own experience but what many people have shared with me over the years. And there's a pretty broad consensus on one thing, especially if you're a UAE car owner:

Want reliable and inexpensive to operate and maintain with good resale? Buy Asian. More specifically, buy Japanese. They have fantastic reliability and maintenance reputations and that doesn't come from nothing.

You're likely correct that American cars have greatly improved in the last decade and are now comparable to a number of Japanese cars in terms of reliability, out here in the UAE the downside is that the cost of maintenance and servicing tends to be quite high, which makes them a headache if you just want a reliable car to get from point A to point B.

What I'm about to say is just my own perspective on the design aesthetics of American cars. They're for fat people. Too big. The interiors are too soft and plush and filled with cheap plastic and cup holders for the American's favourite Big Gulp. I'm sure you can point out the exception but that's what I think of when I see American cars. Fat people waddling and driving 25m when they could walk instead. I guess that's my bias and it's no worse than you thinking of wankers when you see a Prado or Pajero
Reliable and inexpensive, buy Jap. I cant argue there, but you do leave out some important caveats. Boring, basic... There just isn't anything to light you up.. Hell, even they realized it and created Lexus, Acura etc.. To get something Jap that makes you either smile or coddles you, you have to go premium, which is there way of saying, if you want more than the basics, pay more.

Let's face it, the 'higher end' Jap stuff is rebadged basic with a few more frills.

I have park sensors, reversing camera, leather everywhere, rear DVD, remote start etc all with an engine that will get you out of trouble on a Yank truck that, to get Jap, would cost me twice as much.

If it was my missus, or my kids, I'm Durango all the way..

And, yes, the cup holders are big, but I don't hold that against them...
Old Apr 5th 2016, 12:14 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
I couldn't agree more - I can't stand American cars (just like I can't stand Americans).....American cars are just blah, like seriously blah.....for me personally I much prefer German cars.

I am not very up on 4x4/SUV's but if you are looking for a good, decent sports car, then I know my stuff
Out of interest, mission, what decent sports car would you recommend???
Old Apr 5th 2016, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Out of interest, mission, what decent sports car would you recommend???
any of the M series - (beemer) - other than the M 1 series- that's like having the poor man's version of the Porsche ie the boxster - IF I ever made some serious moola, I'd get the M6.

Of course you have your Ferraris & Lamborghinis, but those are for the major ballers. However, for me the Aston Martin is way more classy and chic than a Ferrari.

Golf R is an awesome run around - my previous car was an R, and I was going to upgrade it to the new R, but then decided to get the M235i, which I absolutely love....bigger engine, more BHP, and much sexier looking

Audi has recently brought out the RS3 (not sure if it is available in the UAE yet), which in my personal opinion is probably on par with the M3. Of course you have the other RS ranges, which are all pretty sleek. Also not forgetting the ultimate sports car in the Audi range the R8.

for the serious players you have your Bugatti & Mclaren

to name but a few

Last edited by mission; Apr 5th 2016 at 12:53 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the RS3 the other day. I'm sorely tempted.

any of the M series - (beemer) - other than the M 1 series- that's like having the poor man's version of the Porsche ie the boxster - IF I ever made some serious moola, I'd get the M6.

Of course you have your Ferraris & Lamborghinis, but those are for the major ballers. However, for me the Aston Martin is way more classy and chic than a Ferrari.

Golf R is an awesome run around - my previous car was an R, and I was going to upgrade it to the new R, but then decided to get the M235i, which I absolutely love....bigger engine, more BHP, and much sexier looking

Audi has recently brought out the RS3 (not sure if it is available in the UAE yet), which in my personal opinion is probably on par with the M3. Of course you have the other RS ranges, which are all pretty sleek. Also not forgetting the ultimate sports car in the Audi range the R8.

to name but a few
Old Apr 5th 2016, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

You call Jap cars boring and you defend American cars? They're equally boring in my mind. Fortuner or Prado versus the Durango or Explorer? What's the diff in terms of aesthetics? What makes one more interesting than the other?

Then you have all these gawdawful American sedans. You think the Camry is boring next to the Taurus?

Even the trucks aren't exciting to me. Big and obnoxious. Americans have the F-whatever on the road, the Japs have the Land Cruisers. Same same.

Boring, basic... There just isn't anything to light you up..

And, yes, the cup holders are big, but I don't hold that against them...
Old Apr 5th 2016, 3:20 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

to name but a few
Ok, maybe I should have been more specific...

If you wanted a 4 dr sports car, which would you go for...

TBH, mission, that is probably the most unimaginative list of 'decent sports cars' I have seen, and VERY Euro-centric...

No LFA, Orochi (sp?).. Or we could go old-school.. I repo'd enough Evo's, 3000GT's, NSX's and GT-R's in my time...

Lets forget Asia...

SRT do anything for you, Shelby wet your whistle... Or are you a little hipster, Tesla maybe...

Each to their own, and if you limit your sights to the horizon set for you by AutoExpress or its ilk, then I'd probably have the same list as you...

But, next time, let the men talk cars...

Last edited by TGFKASE; Apr 5th 2016 at 3:24 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 3:25 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

You call Jap cars boring and you defend American cars? They're equally boring in my mind. Fortuner or Prado versus the Durango or Explorer? What's the diff in terms of aesthetics? What makes one more interesting than the other?

Then you have all these gawdawful American sedans. You think the Camry is boring next to the Taurus?

Even the trucks aren't exciting to me. Big and obnoxious. Americans have the F-whatever on the road, the Japs have the Land Cruisers. Same same.
What is it about the current crop of Bored members, that feel the need to un-contextualize quotes to make a point...

I never mentioned Yank sedans...

In fact, I never mentioned the F-word ever....

Run along. Im sure you will learn to love your PoS Prado again... Just click your heels 3 times and dream of your safe place...

Being a Prado driver, Im thinking your safe place is doing 80 in the fast lane on SZR, never indicating just to prove how strong you are....
Old Apr 5th 2016, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

You mean as boring as the PoS Prado driver who cut me off at 145km the other day?

Nope. Sorry, mate. Drive a boring Nissan Tiida rental. 13th monthly rental contract now and still haven't bothered to look at new cars.

In past life I have owned an Audi, a Pajero, a Golf. Driven a Volvo and Honda as well.

Conclusion: all same same. Car to get from point A to point B. Anything else is merely self-justification. Makes you happy? Go for it. But don't make yourself a fool mocking perfectly reliable and sensible cars.

What is it about the current crop of Bored members, that feel the need to un-contextualize quotes to make a point...

I never mentioned Yank sedans...

In fact, I never mentioned the F-word ever....

Run along. Im sure you will learn to love your PoS Prado again... Just click your heels 3 times and dream of your safe place...

Being a Prado driver, Im thinking your safe place is doing 80 in the fast lane on SZR, never indicating just to prove how strong you are....
Old Apr 5th 2016, 4:54 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

You mean as boring as the PoS Prado driver who cut me off at 145km the other day?

Nope. Sorry, mate. Drive a boring Nissan Tiida rental. 13th monthly rental contract now and still haven't bothered to look at new cars.

In past life I have owned an Audi, a Pajero, a Golf. Driven a Volvo and Honda as well.

Conclusion: all same same. Car to get from point A to point B. Anything else is merely self-justification. Makes you happy? Go for it. But don't make yourself a fool mocking perfectly reliable and sensible cars.
Which kinda proves my point, your not a car person.

A car person does not look for reliable and sensible. A car person looks for something that puts a smile on their face.

You talk about cars the same way I talk about washing machines...
Old Apr 6th 2016, 5:30 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

We've has a Durango, Q5 and now on a Prado.

Pick of the bunch is the Durango, reliable, plenty of room and decent interior.

The Prado feels a little more sturdier, but I'd still take the Durango over it.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

WowEyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys for the lowdown and detailed discussions on the SUVs and the sports cars.

Just in terms of after sales service quality, is there a specific ranking you're willing to put out? Toyota better than VW better than Mitubishi types?

And Mission, any opinions on Medium range (Merc/ Leus/ Audi etc) 5 seater sedans with enough boot space for golf kit? Dont want to drive a truck everywhere.....
Old Apr 6th 2016, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok, maybe I should have been more specific...

If you wanted a 4 dr sports car, which would you go for...

TBH, mission, that is probably the most unimaginative list of 'decent sports cars' I have seen, and VERY Euro-centric...

No LFA, Orochi (sp?).. Or we could go old-school.. I repo'd enough Evo's, 3000GT's, NSX's and GT-R's in my time...

Lets forget Asia...

SRT do anything for you, Shelby wet your whistle... Or are you a little hipster, Tesla maybe...

Each to their own, and if you limit your sights to the horizon set for you by AutoExpress or its ilk, then I'd probably have the same list as you...

But, next time, let the men talk cars...
ohhhh errrr - you asked and I responded - the one's you mentioned above mitsubishi/Nissan/Honda - not my cup of tea...way too bulky....I prefer small, compact with speed - not some tank. Clearly you luv your 'big' cars.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ali84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Without pissing on anyone's car choice i recently got a 2014 Cadillac SRX and love it, its the first car iv owned in years, its big enough to feel safe without feeling like im driving a bus.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 5:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Ah yes, the Pajero...

Can never see myself driving a Mitsubishi 'Wanker'........
Not a fan either.

Just like the Prado and Land Cruisers - who 'designed' the interiors? It's the bit you sit in so should be nice at least. They're awful places to be. Even my Explorer is nicer and it's utterly bang average inside.

Mid life crisis car. My boss has a golf GTI and drives like a complete knobhead everywhere in it.

Not to mention completely pointless out here. Where do you drive it with any enjoyment?

I was agreeing with a lot of your points up until the bold bit. Don't be a fool for mocking people's desires for better than basic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.