Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can girlfriend and I get married by Sharia Law?

Can girlfriend and I get married by Sharia Law?

Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can girlfriend and I get married by Sharia Law?

I understand totally- and wish you happiness and the best of luck.
I advise you against it, because you're entering a minefield.
But if you've decided, best wishes mate. Both of you.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

doesn't one have to be Muslim to be married by sharia?
No.

Interesting...usually by sharia law the woman should not be present and her "father/ brother" should sign on her behalf....so dont see how you will do this without lying.
I don't see why this involves lying.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Blonde question here...doesn't one have to be Muslim to be married by sharia?
To be married by Sharia law without a family member presnet both the man and woman have to be muslim and must hold a valid residency visa for the country that they wish to get married in, they must also present the certificare of converting to Islam for the court.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

To be married by Sharia law without a family member presnet both the man and woman have to be muslim and must hold a valid residency visa for the country that they wish to get married in, they must also present the certificare of converting to Islam for the court.
But with the woman's father or male next-of-kin present neither need to be Muslim.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
But with the woman's father or male next-of-kin present neither need to be Muslim.
Really? The couple does not have to be Muslim to be married under Sharia law? This is total news to me..
When I wanted to get married when I lived in Saudi, (neither I or my now husband are Muslim) we were told that only Muslims can get married under Sharia law.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Really? The couple does not have to be Muslim to be married under Sharia law? This is total news to me..
When I wanted to get married when I lived in Saudi, (neither I or my now husband are Muslim) we were told that only Muslims can get married under Sharia law.
Yep, for sure. I know at least two completely non-Muslim couples who had Sharia marriages in AD. Perhaps it's different in Saudi for some reason?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, for sure. I know at least two completely non-Muslim couples who had Sharia marriages in AD. Perhaps it's different in Saudi for some reason?
Thanks for the info, I am totally surprised by this!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:31 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, how can you be sure they were completely non-Muslim...

Maybe they were a little Muslim..... you know, maybe liked a bacon sarnie but were tee-totallers....
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:42 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa

It is the same in Dubai. I researched this a while ago.

-
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Come on, how can you be sure they were completely non-Muslim...

Maybe they were a little Muslim..... you know, maybe liked a bacon sarnie but were tee-totallers....
They're my mates so I know they just love bacon sarnies AND beer!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
It is the same in Dubai. I researched this a while ago.

-
Ahhh, Jebel Ali it is then...at least it was for me...
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Here is what I found out...Muslim friends told me....

If BOTH are NOT Muslim, they can NOT get married under sharia Law.

If the man is Muslim, the woman is not, but is one of the people of the book( monotheistic religion , like Christianity) they CAN get married under sharia...but it is preferred that the woman converts to Islam.

If the woman is Muslim, but the man is not, they can NOT get married under Sharia Law.

This is to the best of my knowledge (sp?).
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

If BOTH are NOT Muslim, they can NOT get married under sharia Law.
Well all I know is that two of my best mates married each other here in AD at a Sharia court and they are most definitely not Muslim.
Well, unless they converted without telling anyone....
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Well all I know is that two of my best mates married each other here in AD at a Sharia court and they are most definitely not Muslim.
thats why I posted, "some have managed it and some have not" My friends tried to do it about 18 months ago and weren't able to.

Guess it depends on what day and who you see.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

um get paid to do it ya know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.