Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying a used car privately in AD?

Buying a used car privately in AD?

Old Aug 10th 2010, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

ScoobyDoo66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a used car privately in AD?

Hi there,

First of all, hello everybody! I am moving to Abu Dhabi very soon and find this blog and its participants very interesting and helpful. Can't wait to move there and, hopefully, meet some of you.

I want to get a used car and would like to ask your opinion about advantages/disadvantages of buying a used car privately vs through a dealer.

In particular, when you buy a used car privately, how can you check that the seller is indeed the owner and that the car does not have a loan or other claims attached?

Many thanks!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 3:46 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car privately in AD?

Hi there and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries, including the middle east, can be found here.

I can't answer your question directly I'm afraid but I'm sure someone will be along soon.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Alistair.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo66
Hi there,

First of all, hello everybody! I am moving to Abu Dhabi very soon and find this blog and its participants very interesting and helpful. Can't wait to move there and, hopefully, meet some of you.

I want to get a used car and would like to ask your opinion about advantages/disadvantages of buying a used car privately vs through a dealer.

In particular, when you buy a used car privately, how can you check that the seller is indeed the owner and that the car does not have a loan or other claims attached?

Many thanks!
Hello
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
Hello
Hi
after you do the deal on the price for the car - and get the cash out of the bank (assuming its a cash deal) - then the seller MUST accompany you to the registration office. The car may have to be inspected, depending on age, and the ownership will be transferred to you. I would pay him the cash after the paperwork is done and you are sure everything is ok. If the car has been financed through a bank loan, then it is noted on the registration card - the seller must clear this and get a letter from the bank before he can transfer it to you. It becomes even more complicated if you buy a car in Dubai, and you have to register it in AD because your job sponsor is there - pm me and I will tell you how it worked when I bought an old second hand car a couple of months ago.

If you want to do desert driving and are going to buy a 4x4, PLEASE join an offroading club and seek advice BEFORE you buy!

We bought our main car through a dealer, it was ok, but in today's market we would be looking at the classifieds for an expat owned car first!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Hi there and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries, including the middle east, can be found here.

I can't answer your question directly I'm afraid but I'm sure someone will be along soon.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Alistair.
Thanks Alistair!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Hi
after you do the deal on the price for the car - and get the cash out of the bank (assuming its a cash deal) - then the seller MUST accompany you to the registration office. The car may have to be inspected, depending on age, and the ownership will be transferred to you. I would pay him the cash after the paperwork is done and you are sure everything is ok. If the car has been financed through a bank loan, then it is noted on the registration card - the seller must clear this and get a letter from the bank before he can transfer it to you. It becomes even more complicated if you buy a car in Dubai, and you have to register it in AD because your job sponsor is there - pm me and I will tell you how it worked when I bought an old second hand car a couple of months ago.

If you want to do desert driving and are going to buy a 4x4, PLEASE join an offroading club and seek advice BEFORE you buy!

We bought our main car through a dealer, it was ok, but in today's market we would be looking at the classifieds for an expat owned car first!
Thanks! So, will the staff at the registration office then check whether the car has a loan and that this has been paid off or do I need to check the registration card and letter from the bank myself? Are these typically in English? Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid about this...

Also thanks for the tip on the offroading since I am actually interested in that. Do you know any good clubs in AD? Do they help you check that the car is in good condition for offroading before you buy (even if this carries a fee)?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Also, I've heard that due to the general economic situation it is cheaper to buy a used car in Dubai rather than Abu Dhabi. Is that true? And, if so, is it worth the extra paperwork?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Also, I've heard that due to the general economic situation it is cheaper to buy a used car in Dubai rather than Abu Dhabi. Is that true? And, if so, is it worth the extra paperwork?
I don't know if it is true to tell you the truth - best thing to do is start looking and comparing on a website called Dubizzle - they have separate sites for AD and Dubai, and it is clear from the Advert headers where the cars are located. Good luck!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

I don't know if it is true to tell you the truth - best thing to do is start looking and comparing on a website called Dubizzle - they have separate sites for AD and Dubai, and it is clear from the Advert headers where the cars are located. Good luck!
Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks! So, will the staff at the registration office then check whether the car has a loan and that this has been paid off or do I need to check the registration card and letter from the bank myself? Are these typically in English? Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid about this...

Also thanks for the tip on the offroading since I am actually interested in that. Do you know any good clubs in AD? Do they help you check that the car is in good condition for offroading before you buy (even if this carries a fee)?
Sorry just noticed I had missed this post. The staff at the registration will check - here your registration "document" is a small "credit card" sized piece of plastic with all the relevant details on it - and this says if the car is mortgaged and which bank it is mortgaged too. This is in both english and arabic.

Offroading- there are many clubs, I would recommend www.uaeoffroaders.com, we have driven with them for almost a year since they were formed. They have many nationalities in the group, and most of the founders are locals, and they are some of the nicest most helpful guys you will meet. They run trips near Abu Dhabi, and my husband and I also run trips for them in Al Ain. The best thing to do is to hook up with them, ask if someone can take you as a passenger on a drive, and see what kind of driving you want to do easy/challenging/extreme, and you will see for yourself what car you need! eg, you can take a Ford Explorer on an easy trip but it won't cut it on challenging trips where there are lots of "technical" dunes with tight turns and sharp crests. It's not just the roadworthiness of that car - all 4x4s are not made equal! We use (and are very happy with) an FJ (won't do extreme but with care will do challenging), and I am lucky enough to have a short wheel base patrol (will go pretty much anywhere!)
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've always bought my cars in Dubai. You will find that there is a bigger choice there. The car market in AD is pretty small. I wouldn't say that they are particularly cheaper in Dubai nowdays.

It's not that difficult to move a car between Emirates - you simply 'export' it from Dubai on temp plates (and temp insurance) and register it in AD within 3 days. The seller has to attend for the export only.

Don't worry about outstanding loans etc - if the car is financed it will say so on the registration card. The seller is unable able to transfer it to you without a clearance letter from the bank, and like someone else said - they physically have to sit next to you at the centre while it is being done.

You get to know the seller well - we sat together in the Dubai registration centre for 5 hours...
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I've always bought my cars in Dubai. You will find that there is a bigger choice there. The car market in AD is pretty small. I wouldn't say that they are particularly cheaper in Dubai nowdays.

It's not that difficult to move a car between Emirates - you simply 'export' it from Dubai on temp plates (and temp insurance) and register it in AD within 3 days. The seller has to attend for the export only.

Don't worry about outstanding loans etc - if the car is financed it will say so on the registration card. The seller is unable able to transfer it to you without a clearance letter from the bank, and like someone else said - they physically have to sit next to you at the centre while it is being done.

You get to know the seller well - we sat together in the Dubai registration centre for 5 hours...
Thanks EM!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Sorry just noticed I had missed this post. The staff at the registration will check - here your registration "document" is a small "credit card" sized piece of plastic with all the relevant details on it - and this says if the car is mortgaged and which bank it is mortgaged too. This is in both english and arabic.

Offroading- there are many clubs, I would recommend www.uaeoffroaders.com, we have driven with them for almost a year since they were formed. They have many nationalities in the group, and most of the founders are locals, and they are some of the nicest most helpful guys you will meet. They run trips near Abu Dhabi, and my husband and I also run trips for them in Al Ain. The best thing to do is to hook up with them, ask if someone can take you as a passenger on a drive, and see what kind of driving you want to do easy/challenging/extreme, and you will see for yourself what car you need! eg, you can take a Ford Explorer on an easy trip but it won't cut it on challenging trips where there are lots of "technical" dunes with tight turns and sharp crests. It's not just the roadworthiness of that car - all 4x4s are not made equal! We use (and are very happy with) an FJ (won't do extreme but with care will do challenging), and I am lucky enough to have a short wheel base patrol (will go pretty much anywhere!)
That's great! I would love to try offroading and thanks for the recommendation.