Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Saudi

Buying a car in Saudi

Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in Saudi

Originally Posted by eylesda
Stay away from Jeeps and Chryslers as the dealer does not keep spares and the service is crap. We waited 9 months for brake discs which should be considered as consumable items. If you do buy a Jeep get two as you will need a spare for the eternity it takes for servicing and repairs.
It guess its all relative. I've known a few poeple to have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and loved it to bits, all very realible, great performance etc etc.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samSG
u need a family iqama to get an SUV right? what's a reliable car a single guy drives in the kingdom? just curious since i'll be on a family iqama.
Is the car just for you or to cart the family around in?

THe Japenese brands are probably the most reliable - Toyota and Nissan. Honda and Mtsubishi tend to price their spare parts to high.

American cars are popular - GMC's and Chevrolets very very popular, but their better cars are the big truck SUV's, their car's ( sedans ) are not all that exciting. If the car's just for you, get yourself a nice little Toyota Corolla or Nissan Sunny. Pretty boring to look and drive, but reliable as anything, and will just keep going.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

samSG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Is the car just for you or to cart the family around in?

THe Japenese brands are probably the most reliable - Toyota and Nissan. Honda and Mtsubishi tend to price their spare parts to high.

American cars are popular - GMC's and Chevrolets very very popular, but their better cars are the big truck SUV's, their car's ( sedans ) are not all that exciting. If the car's just for you, get yourself a nice little Toyota Corolla or Nissan Sunny. Pretty boring to look and drive, but reliable as anything, and will just keep going.
u got me there.. i'm looking for something more different from what we are used to driving back home since a brand new Jeep Liberty would set me back at least a hundred grand USD. you can get a brand new Corolla for about USD 38k and that's one of the cheaper cars. car prices here are crazy!
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Quite a few of the dealerships are offering special terms on new cars, no deposit and monthly payments etc , buying new looks attractive at the moment, bu tthen you'd have to be pretty certain you're going to be here for the term of the lease, most are around five years.

I think I'm about to sell my Pajero - if you fancy a big old truck?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi here are a couple of useful web sites for people thinking of buying a new / second hand cars.
Cars In Riyadh

http://www.audi.com.sa/home.asp -> audi (check the 2nd hand for a feel for the prices)
http://www.expatriates.com/classifieds/riy/vehicles/ -> second hand expat stuff
http://www.sa-motor.com/ -> second hand cars in english
http://www.umc.com.sa -> dodge, jeep and chrysler prices for new (check the brochures)
http://www.gmcertifiedarabia.com/con...ferrer=&pdcmp= -> GM cars (certified 2nd hand)
http://www.porschesaudiarabia.com/default.asp -> check out the 2nd hand to get a feel of new prices
http://www.aljazirahford.com/index.p...08b 167b2e0de -> check the promotions (it's in arabic but the prices are english)
Old Jun 11th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Great links CD

Only ever tried expatriates and sa-motor, though i think they are about the only used private sales web site?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

ubdai will become famous soon enoughubdai will become famous soon enough

That wasn't my experience.

Firstly , to buy a car as an expat, you need a supporting letter from your employer. THis is then taken to the local traffic police, who, if you have family here, will then grant you a letter of permission to buy an SUV / 4x4.

THe general rule is that you need to have family to have a 4x4, but there are numerous exceptions to this rule, so its pretty easy get by it. Once you have the letter from the police and your employer ( plus all the others bits ) can you go ahead with the registration transfer.
Anyone know if its possible to buy a used 4x4 to ship out to Ethiopia via Djbouti if you are not a resident.
Any info /help appreciated on this matter.

I'm a Brit with an Ethiopian wife looking to relocate to Addis to get out of the country that 'golden brown' has ruined.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 9:51 am
Just Joined

mdb2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry,

Really stupid question, but can an expat own two cars in SA, I would like one small car for me (Brum Brum) , and a minivan (Chug Chug) to cart the large (6 Kids) family about in when needed
Old Jun 12th 2009, 11:06 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mdb2009
Sorry,

Really stupid question, but can an expat own two cars in SA, I would like one small car for me (Brum Brum) , and a minivan (Chug Chug) to cart the large (6 Kids) family about in when needed
You can own as many as you like.

The usual sponsor letter is needed for each purpose.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

samSG is an unknown quantity at this point

Great links CD

Only ever tried expatriates and sa-motor, though i think they are about the only used private sales web site?
i had a blast looking through this website. check it out!

www . bousala . com